This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#939523 by SandLake
11 Nov 2017, 11:49
The only downside I can see about booking (in UC) with an online travel agent is that you cannot select your seat during the booking process - but I assume once you get your booking ref then you can look it up on the Virgin website and select your seat. I see Opodo have better fares than VS but want about £7 to select a seat!
#939524 by gumshoe
11 Nov 2017, 12:11
The main disadvantage of booking with an OTA is if you need to change anything after you’ve booked, as you have to deal with the OTA not the airline and they can be notorious for being difficult to deal with and adding fees.

So I’d only go for it if you’re absolutely sure you won’t need to make any changes to your booking.

But yes, the OTA will give you your VS booking reference and you can then select seats in MMB as usual.
#939525 by SandLake
11 Nov 2017, 13:22
Is there any issue if the online agent ceases trading, once the booking is made (in my opinion) they become irrelevant apart from as you say if a change is required. I'm not likely to make changes, it's not something I tend to do except for medical emergencies which are covered seperately.

Thanks for your response
#939528 by mitchja
11 Nov 2017, 13:47
SandLake wrote:Is there any issue if the online agent ceases trading, once the booking is made (in my opinion) they become irrelevant apart from as you say if a change is required. I'm not likely to make changes, it's not something I tend to do except for medical emergencies which are covered seperately.

Thanks for your response

I would guess that would depend on if the holiday company had already paid VS or not. If the company hadn't paid VS then there no chance the flight booking would still be valid unfortunately.
#939534 by cooperman
11 Nov 2017, 15:15
SandLake,
Am I Missing something here ? ...Why not just book direct with VS and book your seat at the time of booking?
If there is a price advantage with the OTA, then refer them to the OTA Website and get them to price match.?
I've had a couple of successes with this .... a few years ago now though... this might have be enhanced away now!. :-P
#939535 by SandLake
11 Nov 2017, 17:43
Thanks for those replies

There is about a £250 price advantage with an OTA, from what I have read about the VS price guarantee it may not be successful. I can't book before Tuesday anyway as I need to get my leave sorted out and I will at least call VS to see if they are prepared to match but I'm just trying to get advice first

Thanks
#939536 by gumshoe
11 Nov 2017, 18:01
Never underestimate the possibility of having to change your plans. Unforeseen work commitments, family weddings or funerals, unexpected illness of a close friend or relative, sudden change in personal or financial circumstances etc etc.
#939537 by SandLake
11 Nov 2017, 19:33
Sorry, I know I asked the question but changing plans really is not an issue for me - I cannot remember the last time I booked a flight where I could make changes or cancel for free - do airlines still do that!
Whether I book with an OTA or VS the ticket will be no changes or refunds.
#939540 by tontybear
11 Nov 2017, 21:49
SandLake wrote:Sorry, I know I asked the question but changing plans really is not an issue for me - I cannot remember the last time I booked a flight where I could make changes or cancel for free - do airlines still do that!
Whether I book with an OTA or VS the ticket will be no changes or refunds.

Yes but you have to buy a ticket in one of the higher and most expensive fare buckets.

If you did have to cancel you would still be able to claim part of the fees and taxes back and that might be easier and quicker if you had booked direct.

For the vast majority of people booking via an OTA makes no difference (and it can be cheaper) but for those that may need to change plans then booking direct is generally better because if you do have to change you have to go via the way you booked.

So if you booked via an OTA and needed to change then you have to contact them and they contact VS whereas booking direct means you can speak directly with VS. That also applies if VS changes the flight you still have to agree the change / alternatives via the OTA.

Also booking direct often allows you to cancel the booking without charge within 24 hours of booking.
#939546 by ColOrd
12 Nov 2017, 16:36
I find travel agents an odd thing to go through - sometimes you can get a better service, others worse. My most recent experience with Virgin Holidays has been a prime example.

The service from them in terms of knowledge and guiding through the booking process is exceptional and they were really good to sit down with in Store and go through options.

i initially booked for September, but a change in circumstances meant that I wanted to change this to the December and go for Christmas - all of this sorted out with a £35 change fee, which I didn't think was too bad....except....the actual cost of the holiday is a real stinger.

Upper Class Flight to SFO and back from LA, with 6 nights in San Fran in a 4 Star Hyatt (my 8 nights in LA are as points redemption with Hilton) and then fly back with VS from LAX in Upper Class. Internal flight in First with DL booked separately.

Total cost: £5500! Now accounting for the hotel being about the £1600 mark, it leaves the flights much more expensive than I would have expected. Initially had I booked directly with VS the flights were about £2700 so theres quite a premium for using VH on this booking.
#939552 by Sealink
13 Nov 2017, 10:19
Every time I check VH, their prices are incredibly high.
They also default to airlines like United, and UC supplements when you do get a VS flight are often more expensive than the actual UC flight bookable by VS.

BA Holidays, on the other hand, seem to be consistently good value.
#940269 by Gavla
18 Dec 2017, 10:40
Story of two extremities:
Booked our honeymoon to Cuba with VH including UC flights for last Sept. Booking agent in VH was phenomenal and very knowledgable.
We travelled down the night before. Unfortunately our honeymoon was cancelled at 5pm the day prior to taking off (due to depart 10.15) due to hurricane Irma. I totally understand this couldn't be helped however it was the way we were treated by VH. They offered no alternative (I even asked to fly economy) and weren't even prepared to search for us. The best they could do was reimburse in five to 10 working days! We were in Gatwick stranded with no honeymoon which cost us over 7K.
To add icing to the cake, they have taken two months to reimburse my miles!
We were fortunate to find bargain business class flights to the Philippines with Qatar and had an amazing experience. Qatar far exceeded our expectations in comparison to UC.
#940271 by ColOrd
18 Dec 2017, 22:20
Yes I have experienced this with VH- my flight to San Fran on Friday and back from LA in two weeks time have come out as very expensive compared to booking direct.

Saying that - I did give VH another try for Dubai and I got a better deal all in Upper Class out and PE back for September and that worked out cheaper than booking direct!
Virgin Atlantic