This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#940811 by oceanscape
15 Jan 2018, 14:34
Hi everyone,

I'm flying LHR-JFK in Delta economy as a Virgin FC Gold member.

I was able to select a seat online for free as a Gold perk, but I'd ideally like to upgrade to "Comfort +" for the extra legroom.

I'm struggling to find any info on this; one website says Virgin Gold members will be upgraded for free "subject to availability" at check-in but I'd rather organise it now to guarantee it - if I call up Delta to upgrade will I be eligible for any discount? It seems Gold and Silver "Medallion" members get 50% off, for example?

Thanks for any info!
#940813 by SlimpyJones
15 Jan 2018, 14:53
So my understanding is that for TATL flights we get access 72 hours before the flight. This is what's listed under the Delta benefits for FC Gold.
I'm flying Delta BOS-LHR in a couple of weeks and can't select one as it appears to be a different cabin now. I'm waiting to see what happens at T-72 hours, hopefully they are available to select.
#940815 by oceanscape
15 Jan 2018, 17:24
Thanks @SimplyJones

I've viewed the seat map for my flight (DL1) on ExpertFlyer and all but one of the window pairs appears to be already have been taken, so I don't hold out much hope for T-72 hours. Think we'd prefer Main Cabin window pair than 2 in a Comfort+ middle row. I might call and enquire anyway.
#940816 by SlimpyJones
15 Jan 2018, 17:26
Sure. You can view the Delta seatmaps as well if you search for your flights on Delta.com

Do you get the option for a paid upgrade? I've found when booking under a VS flight number it doesn't really want to co-operate in that regard.
#940833 by ILikeSoton
16 Jan 2018, 00:42
Interested to hear anyone's experience with this as well. I'm FC Gold and just booked my LHR to PHL flight (VS flight number) for early March. If I go to Delta's site I can pick a main cabin seat but theres no chance to upgrade. I'm hoping 72 hours out it becomes available but I thought I've read here where Delta doesnt always recognize FC Gold.

Two follow up questions, 1) It's a Delta flight but I can still access the Clubhouse, correct? 2) What boarding priority does FC Gold get on a Delta flight?
#940838 by SlimpyJones
16 Jan 2018, 08:28
Delta are usually pretty reliable at recognising VS gold, if you check your booking it should mention that you have Sky Priority status. This means you would board in the SP group which comes just after Business class.
My BOS-LHR trip in main cabin is in a couple of weeks so I'll remember to report my success/failure of getting into a Comfort+ seat.
#940849 by CommanderB
16 Jan 2018, 15:07
In terms of seat booking, I have never been able to select the comfort+ seats online. My go to solution has been to call FC Gold line, moan a little, then call Delta and conference call together and that gets the seats assigned.

For upgrades, you automatically go on the upgrade list, but you are always behind all the Delta medallions, so forget it basically. Even if you try and pay its not an option. You may get lucky however.
#940851 by oceanscape
16 Jan 2018, 15:14
CommanderB wrote:In terms of seat booking, I have never been able to select the comfort+ seats online. My go to solution has been to call FC Gold line, moan a little, then call Delta and conference call together and that gets the seats assigned.

For upgrades, you automatically go on the upgrade list, but you are always behind all the Delta medallions, so forget it basically. Even if you try and pay its not an option. You may get lucky however.

So you were able to reserve C+ seats for free, more than 72 hours in advance?
#940853 by SlimpyJones
16 Jan 2018, 16:33
oceanscape wrote:
CommanderB wrote:In terms of seat booking, I have never been able to select the comfort+ seats online. My go to solution has been to call FC Gold line, moan a little, then call Delta and conference call together and that gets the seats assigned.

So you were able to reserve C+ seats for free, more than 72 hours in advance?

I believe this used to be possible some time ago in the early days of the partnership, but Comfort+ is now it's own cabin (in terms of booking & pricing, etc) and so I believe this is no longer the case. In the past if I have booked Delta main cabin through Virgin I have had to speak to Delta in order to be placed on the upgrade list. But those have all been domestic, first time doing this international so it may be different.
#940861 by ILikeSoton
16 Jan 2018, 22:57
To add another layer of complexity, and this may be relevant if you don't see Comfort+ 72 hours out, I'm able to select an exit row seat now (6 weeks out) on the Delta app but not on the Delta website. The Delta website says I cant select my seat now but the app allows me to choose any seat in Main Cabin with Comfort+ and Delta One greyed out. The seat I selected shows up correctly when I manage my booking on the Delta site though.
#941190 by CommanderB
26 Jan 2018, 17:34
oceanscape wrote:Sorry, another question ..... can we use the Delta first class check-in desks when flying economy with Virgin gold?

Yes you should be able to.

I have had some Delta staff not entirely aware of the rules etc. And I don't think its documented well at all, but i've always used them and mostly its been fine.
#941191 by mitchja
26 Jan 2018, 18:38
Yes, it’s mentioned here if you expand the Delta bit:

Travel on any Delta operated service in any cabin class and you’re welcome to enjoy:

Extra baggage (up to three pieces in Business Class)*
Priority check in
Priority baggage
Priority boarding
Relax in any Delta Sky Club so long as you have a transatlantic sector to or from the UK on the same day within the same itinerary.
Complimentary access to Delta Comfort+ - 72 hours before you fly for transatlantic routes, 24 hours before you fly for all other routes.
*Excludes flying to/from Key West airport with Delta.

If your booking includes flying Premium Economy on VS, you will be able to select DL Comfort+ seats at any time via the DL app or DL website. Both will accept your VS PNR to view your booking that consists of both VS & DL flights. The DL booking will display its own DL PNR though as well.

The other advantage of using the DL app when flying a mixture of VS/DL is that with that you get full checked bag tracking including on all the VS legs as well.

The VS app has yet to include checked baggage tracking.
#941393 by SlimpyJones
02 Feb 2018, 10:40
Hi all,

Just wanted to update re: my situation. Travelling on BOS-LHR on Sunday on Delta in Economy, booked through Virgin as VS Gold.

At T-72 hours I still could not select the Comfort+ seats, so figured it would be worth asking at LHR when checking in for my outbound. Long story short, because it was booked through Virgin the ability to select at 72 hours was not possible, and even after phone calls from a very helpful Delta redcoat they could still not put me in one.
What they were able to do though was add me to the upgrade list so that once I check in for my return, I may land one on boarding, but we'll see.

So it looks like the moral of the story is that if you want to use your VS gold benefits, book it via Delta.
#941397 by Lucydog
02 Feb 2018, 11:16
Can I just add my views on comfort plus, yes free drinks and snacks, but seat wise, if you want comfort to move in your seat !!! don't bother it was no better than cattle class. Next time if I use delta again it will have to be first after checking it out kind crew member gave me a little try, It is well worth the extra more like our PE plus. After a 5hr flight from las/jfk I would defo recommend it. Happy travels.
#941450 by buns
06 Feb 2018, 07:09
SlimpyJones wrote:Another update for the curious - managed to get upgraded to Comfort+ whilst in the Delta skyclub tonight, mostly by virtue of a quiet flight and nobody else on the upgrade list.

Thanks for the update - hope you were looked after on board

buns
#941451 by SlimpyJones
06 Feb 2018, 08:24
buns wrote:
SlimpyJones wrote:Another update for the curious - managed to get upgraded to Comfort+ whilst in the Delta skyclub tonight, mostly by virtue of a quiet flight and nobody else on the upgrade list.

Thanks for the update - hope you were looked after on board

buns

Indeed I was! Nice crew but food was mediocre. TR notes made though and a full review in the coming weeks :cool:
Virgin Atlantic