This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#115 by rod10
08 Jan 2004, 12:47
I am flying UC SFO/LHR on VS20 in March and am advised by the rep that suites are scheduled to be in place on my inbound flight:D

She offered us seats 1A and 2A on the upper deck, and from the seat guide (suites version) I'm not sure whenether they will be good seats or not. Can you tell me generally whether it is better flying on the upper or lower deck and what factors I should consider (better/worse service, noise, busy, etc)? Also, when flying UC on the upper deck, does it mean going through PE to get to the stairs, and if so, is this problematic? Many thanks in advance for your advice.
#25203 by mcuth
08 Jan 2004, 13:06
Nice! I've only flown UC once (SFO > LHR) and that was on the older seats. On that flight, IIRC, I had seat 3A. My experience from flying that one and in PE is that I'll *always* take the upper deck rather than lower deck - it's quieter and seems more relaxed to me :) I've read reports about a "sleep zone" being on the upper deck on the returns to LHR - someone with experience of the suites will have to help you with that.

Aside from that, I'm not sure about any difference in service levels between the decks, nor have I encountered any problems with going through PE to go downstairs either - I doubt you'll be accosted :D

Cheers

Michael
#25205 by seat1aupper
08 Jan 2004, 19:19
Have not tried the New Suite yet, but have sat in seat 2C on the Upper deck to JFK,It is a lovely cabin to sit in and YES its better than the main deck.
More personal service, relaxed and calmer, real clubby feel.
UPPER DECK FOR ME.:D
#25209 by BlackCat
09 Jan 2004, 18:01
I prefer the nose (zone A) of a 747 in UC. Reasoning is that the upper deck can seem a little cramped compared with the nose section, and you sometimes get the PE passengers barging through to use the UC WC rather than their own. Row 7 gets my vote -- one row back from the closet and in front of the therapist station. In suite configuration row 8 is slightly better to due to bin space.

BC
#25210 by The_Banking_Scot
09 Jan 2004, 19:57
Hi,

Especially on night flights I do like the Upper Deck of the 747-400 ( quieter, I seem to be served quicker and I like the neat side storage bins for the window seats.)

On my flight back from SFO ( 6th Jan ) I did not notice any PE passengers coming forward to use the toilets.

The nose section is also ok.

I would probably try to avoid the section with the bar as depending on the flight there may be some noise although during my flights the bar was unoccupied for considerable periods of time.

Regards

TBS

VS FC Gold
#25212 by Bazz
10 Jan 2004, 14:09
Hi rod10,

The only part of your questions not covered by other members refers to having to pass through PE to get to the stairs, this is true as you can see from the Seat Ratings cabin layout. It is not a problem, the aisle on the upper deck is particularly wide so you will not disturb the less fortunate, neither will they attack you! ;)

Bazz
Still Flying
#25217 by The_Banking_Scot
10 Jan 2004, 20:11
Hi,

Yes, indeed.I even walked down to the bar in my UC sleep suit and was not touched once by the PE passengers:D

Regards
TBS

VS FC Gold
#25228 by Bazz
12 Jan 2004, 10:13
Bet you were disappointed? ;)

Bazz
Still Flying
#25243 by RichardMannion
13 Jan 2004, 23:11
TBS, now thats not very PC is it.;)

People seated in W obviously know a good offering - to be honest as much as I love flying in J, W is more than adequate for a short trip over the Atlantic to the East Coast..... (Completely Un-PC now)....unl;ess we are talkign about the MCO route. We all knwo what the class system is on that route :)

Thanks,
Richard
#25245 by The_Banking_Scot
13 Jan 2004, 23:19
Hi,

Of course, it was dark at the time after diiner with the lights off;)

Regards

TBS

VS FC Gold
Virgin Atlantic