This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#150 by Bazz
19 Jan 2004, 16:35
TBS says in his comments on the Seat Ratings pages that these two rows are sometimes used for PE.

Questions:

Is this on an add-hoc basis when PE is full and UC is quiet and decided on day of travel?

What are the seats in rows 11 & 12, are they the same as the rest of the UC cabin or are they the same as the PE seats on the upperdeck?

What type of seats are generally fitted in UC on the LGW 747's, J2000 or earlier?

Reason for questions, upcoming trip to LAS booked in PE. ;)

Bazz
Still Flying
#25326 by BlackCat
19 Jan 2004, 18:46
11 & 12 are sometimes used for PE on the US bucket and spade routes ( think mainly MCO), and any upgrades from PE (likely, given usual overselling by VH) will sit there. The seats are the same as the rest of UC but the proximity of the rows of economy behind, and the fact that you get service last, makes these rows decidedly inferior to those UC seats in the nose.

The seats are "normal" business class type, i.e. not J2000. They are fairly comfortable although of course the person in front can recline into your space unless you are right at the front.

BC
#25327 by The_Banking_Scot
19 Jan 2004, 20:09
Hi,

The only times I have seen rows 11& 12 have PE service are, as BlackCat mentioned are on the MCO runs ( I got put in one -original seat was PE upstairs).

On the LAS run I was upgraded on the outbound flight into row 11 ( bulkhead) and this had the full UC service.

YMMV of course,

Regards

TBS

VS FC Gold
#25332 by Bazz
20 Jan 2004, 10:35
Thanks for the info TBS & BC.

Bazz
Still Flying
#25707 by candyman
12 Feb 2004, 00:25
i spoke to virgin special needs team and they told me that if you are in pe and disabled so cannot climb the stairs they would often put you in these seats but you would only get pe service
but to me it looks a good way of get a really good sized pe seat
am i right here that these seats are much better than the normal pe seats

steve w hickling
#25734 by The_Banking_Scot
12 Feb 2004, 20:27
Hi candyman,

These seats are better than PE , in fact they are the Upper Class seats ( Recaro on the LGW 747-400) with thereading light on the bendy swinging thingy :D

If in Row 11/12 you would likely get 55-60 inches of pitch,very good recline ( not as good as the LHR fleet) and wide seats with a foot rest.

If in PE on that section you would get the blanket rather than the duvet and PE service.

Regards

TBS

VS FC Gold
#25741 by declansmith
12 Feb 2004, 23:16
Row 11 and 12 on an LGW 747-400 is only used as PE on flights to Orlando.

So if your unable to climb the stairs to PE and your flying to Vegas or the Carribean then Virgin will either upgrade you to J if there is space or downgrade you to Economy.
#25770 by candyman
14 Feb 2004, 05:51
can i ask on this one declan
woukld they accept your booking for pe if they knew you could not do stairs
?
as for downgrading to econ would you know before arriving at the airport.
it would upset me if i had been expecting to travel pe and only found
out that late

candyman

steve w hickling
#25772 by Bazz
14 Feb 2004, 11:52
quote:Originally posted by candyman
...as for downgrading to econ...
...it would upset me if i had been expecting to travel pe and only found out that late

candyman

steve w hickling

That would be a bit of a bummer, Steve. [V]

Bazz
Still Flying
#25775 by RichardMannion
14 Feb 2004, 12:10
Hi Guys,

When you book online at VirginAtlantic.com, it actuallys tells you if you select Premium Economy that it is sometimes located upstairs and you should check witht eh airline direct if you are unable to traverse the stairs:

'Important information

On selected flights, Premium Economy and Upper Class are situated in the Upper Deck. Passengers with restricted mobility would be advised to contact reservations before continuing. '

I'm sure i have seen the statement in holiday brochures and I know when I have phoned before to book W they have double checked then.

And while we are at it, here is the line that many miss in regards to IFE:

'NB. In-flight entertainment does not form part of your holiday. Virgin Atlantic aim to rectify any technical faults during the aircraft turnaround, however, neither Virgin Holidays, nor Virgin Atlantic will be held responsible for any lack of availability due to technical faults or difficulties or aircraft changes. '

Source: http://www.virginholidays.co.uk/florida ... ight.shtml

Thanks,
Richard
#25784 by candyman
14 Feb 2004, 20:56
thanks guys
this time we are uc to mco so no probs
but we are thinking of vegas and could not afford uc on that one so would want pe
but my daughter is in a wheel chair and to get up stairs is totaly out of the question so looks like we will have to re think that one
[:(]

steve w hickling
#25812 by declansmith
16 Feb 2004, 15:15
Vegas flight are very very popular hence why a fouth service has been introduced it would not surprise me if it goes daily by the end of the year.

I would suggest contacting VIrgin Special assistance and getting there advice on the matter.
Virgin Atlantic