This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#165 by simoneves
24 Jan 2004, 21:40
A couple of newbie questions...

Firstly, is there a laptop power socket in Premium Economy seats on the LHR/SFO route? I guess it depends on the plane, but do any PE seats have power or is it just Upper Class? I just got a new laptop and I'd hate to splash out the extra $70 for an adaptor if I can't use it on my flight to the UK next month.

Secondly, my wife and I plus our 5-month-old will be flying back from LHR in PE (she flew out yesterday in Economy). We've been told that there aren't any bassinets or other "baby facilities" in PE. I guess this makes sense, from the seating arrangements. Maybe a hammock hanging from the overhead bins...? :D

Many thanks in advance,

Simon

PS. Great website, by the way.
#25382 by Pete
24 Jan 2004, 22:22
Not having a baby, I can't give you any direct experience of handling them in PE. I guess there's always the overhead bins themselves :)

As for power, the V:Port equipt aircraft have the EmPower system in PE. If you've got a PC laptop, then chances are they'll have an adaptor you can borrow onboard. If you want to be sure, or you have an Apple Powerbook (which the never carry adaptors for!), then buy yourself the Targus Universal Power thingy, which is also what they use on board.

Have a great flight :)

Pix
#25390 by RichardMannion
25 Jan 2004, 22:57
Hi,

Not your typicla newbie questions like @How do I get my entire family upgraded'.....

Laptop power - Yes the SFO route should have EmPower points in PE with the plane that is currently serving that route. If the plane has V:Port then you'll have the new Premium Economy seats which have power. Unlike BA WT+ and Club, Virgin actually supply you with the power adaptor to borrow for the duration of the flight, they carry a selection of the power 'nibs' for the most popular types of laptops. Let me know which laptop you have and I should be able to tell you either way. Alternatively, look up your laptop on http://www.targus.com/us/configurator/t ... efault.asp. You will then be able to buy the power nib to be extra sure, they are about $5 I think.

Babies - Now I'm no expert on flying with children as I don't have any, but I am sure that on my recent flight in PE, there was a family with a baby. This was a Airbus 600, There are no drop down shelves like there are in Economy for the SkyCot, but they have a couple of special pin points in the dividers between Upper and Premium Economy. These allowed a Cot to be bracketed to the wall securely by the crew, and allowing little baby his own special Sky Cot. Now on a 747-400 which you're likely to get on the SFO route, thats a different story , best bet would be go for Row 70 upstairs as there is more space in front of the seats as its the front row of Premium. You will be able to get a SkyCot on the floor in front of you, which will be directly in front of the crew chair.

Thanks,
Richard
#25799 by Tinkerbelle
15 Feb 2004, 21:58
There are no bassinets for babies in Premium Economy on any of the LHR based 400's.

Also you wouldn't be able to have row 70 with a baby as its an exit row.
#25810 by declansmith
16 Feb 2004, 15:07
Only LGW 747-400 have bassinets for PE passengers.

You will have to keep the baby on your lap for the flight. COts cannot be placed on the floor as they are not secure and in the event of turbulence the cot could move and casue injury.

Laptop leads are on board and can be borrowed from the crew for both upper class and PE passengers. To comply with saftey regulations you CANNOT use your own laptop leads on any Virgin aircraft.
#25815 by RichardMannion
16 Feb 2004, 19:14
quote:Originally posted by declansmith
To comply with saftey regulations you CANNOT use your own laptop leads on any Virgin aircraft.

Interesting, as I have used my own Targus Power adaptor for the past 18 months, its the same model that VS hands to customers who request one. I still have the card at home somewhere where it talks about inflight power adaptors and buying them and the accessories.

I've never been questioned about it either.....

Thanks,
Richard
#25818 by mitchja
16 Feb 2004, 19:58
quote:Originally posted by RichardMannion
quote:Originally posted by declansmith
To comply with saftey regulations you CANNOT use your own laptop leads on any Virgin aircraft.

Interesting, as I have used my own Targus Power adaptor for the past 18 months, its the same model that VS hands to customers who request one. I still have the card at home somewhere where it talks about inflight power adaptors and buying them and the accessories.

I've never been questioned about it either.....

Thanks,
Richard

Yep me too - mine is also a Targus one - purchased on a BA flight several years ago....no probs ever encountered either on any airline

James Mitchell

Silver Flying Club member since 2000
#25831 by declansmith
17 Feb 2004, 02:21
The lead used on the aircraft are shorter than the ones you can buy in a shop.

Themain reason if non airline ones have a longer lead and could become a trip hazard if dangling in the aisle.

This sounds stupid but its true we are told to provide pax with Virgin leads only!
#25988 by mike-smashing
22 Feb 2004, 14:12
Interesting... my genuine Compaq EmPower lead is about 3 feet long, maximum. I think that's shorter than the VS supplied leads!

The beauty of that lead is that it doesn't even have a blister mid-way along, the Compaq is safe to run natively off the EmPower supply.

I asked Compaq about this, as all my previous EmPower leads from other manufacturers (Sony, Toshiba) had a blister or wart mid way along. They said that the power input on the Compaq Evo is "aircraft safe", and designed this way.

As for who I've used this lead with: United, Virgin, Air Canada and BA. No-one has complained or had any problems with it.

Cheers,
Mike
Virgin Atlantic