This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#243 by Jonathan S
10 Feb 2004, 08:44
Thanks to JFK - LHR flight, I've just topped 42 tier points. Strangely my account detail hasn't clicked over and said 'welcome to flying club gold'!

I rang and spoke with silver club, and they told me my account wasn't due to be reviewed until October! But she'd 'put a note on it'...

Can anyone help fill me in - I'm planning on a NY run in March, and without the card, how will I do clubhouse and revivals?

Jonathan.

ps. For those of you who remember my posting about consistency, sent the letter on the 26th, nothing back - will put in nice call today.
#25660 by Vslf
10 Feb 2004, 14:25
Congratulations on your new status. A word of warning from personal experience. I only realised I'd reached silver a week or two after the event and I phoned FC to find out when I would recieve card and vouchers etc. I was told five to six weeks. Phoned again six weeks later and was told I should have it within days. Repeat this cycle several times, eventually it took over three months.

Finally someone explained what had happened. My new tier was picked up and a welcome pack prepared. However when I called a new card was requested which automatically cancelled the previous one prior to being sent out. Seems every time I called the same happened. I was promised a letter from marketing apologising and explaining the situation but it never came, just glad I got to speak to a an FC rep who knew the system.
#25668 by seat1aupper
10 Feb 2004, 18:21
Had sim expericence with Virgin when I gained Gold, they really are Bad and sloppy at sending out Gold packs and you do get Fobbed off!
Unless your on FULL FARE tickets dont expect Upgrades,Gold is only Good for Check-in,Lounges (VS Lounges) and Revivals.
#25669 by RichardMannion
10 Feb 2004, 19:03
Hi guys,

There have been problems in the past with card issuance due to the cycle in which the data was extracted from the system, and then it being passed to the 3rd party for the card creation.

I spoke to marketing about this last year, and changes were made as I and my colleague with Silver were waiting for our cards.

You have to appreciate that Virgin don't make the cards in house - any FF program will take time getting their cards out - look at the current * Alliance offering where they are quoting 6 weeks for ack fulfillment.

Jonathan, you should get Gold status immediately not at next renewal point - the agent was wrong. Call Gold on 0800 0721234 and get them on the card issuance now. They will be able to verify you have met the point requirement and will be able to tell you your new GOld number membership number (it will start 009) - ask them to send you a letter/emal confirming Gold level for use at the Clubhouse and for J class check-in - they have doen this before for me.

As pointed out - don't expect miracles in terms of upgrades.

Last year was a year with a number of pack changes - new membership card, new vouchers to be printed for the HE and GE upgrades which had to be redone. If after a month you still don't have your pack, mail me with your name and membership# and I will ask them to check.

Thanks,
Richard
#25671 by Pete
10 Feb 2004, 19:34
quote:Originally posted by seat1aupper
Had sim expericence with Virgin when I gained Gold, they really are Bad and sloppy at sending out Gold packs and you do get Fobbed off!
Unless your on FULL FARE tickets dont expect Upgrades,Gold is only Good for Check-in,Lounges (VS Lounges) and Revivals.

Not from my experience - on both counts. Got my Gold pack within a couple of weeks of hitting it, and the last time I travelled full fare was in 1996, but I've certainly been upgraded since then. Seat1a - you seem to have a problem with VS, judging by this a previous posts, yet you continue to fly with them frequently (hence the Gold status). I don't understand. If your opinion of them is that low, why aren't you on BA instead? I'm genuinely interested.

Pix
#25672 by RichardMannion
10 Feb 2004, 22:08
quote:Originally posted by seat1aupper

Unless your on FULL FARE tickets dont expect Upgrades

Not in my experience, if anything the opposite. I've been on several full fare W and Y tickets and not recieved an upgrade - neither did I expect one. There again, I've travelled on VH tickets and had upgrades. Its all about loads and the absolute need to do an upgrade, if a VS Au is booked on the flight with a N fare class ticket and they need to shift someone, that VS Au is highly likely to be the one shifted up.

The 2 Upgrade Rules
Rule #1 - Don't expect anything at all, and then if you do get upgraded then its over delivery by Virgin
Rule #2 - See Rule #1

Thanks,
Richard
#25688 by Vslf
11 Feb 2004, 11:30
Have to agree with Richard on the upgrades, I've been lucky a couple of times, been upgraded from econ to PE on a cheapy ticket, and upgraded from PE to Upper on a very cheap ticket. Also flown several times on full price PE and not upgraded. Only Silver and never asked, just been polite and chatty. Never expected it and would never make a fuss if I didn't get it.

With regards to issuing cards they've been slow, but got it right in the end. Anyway as long as you have your FC number you should be alright, they can always check on a system. Did some long distance trips over Christmas (mainly with SQ) with just my number on a post-it, no problems anywhere, all miles credited within a week or so

VSlf
#25692 by Jonathan S
11 Feb 2004, 15:06
Richard,

Your knowledge knocks me off my feet. I'm green with envy (I have this thing about trying to know EVERYTHING about ANYTHING)...

Will give Gold a call -thanks for that, v helpful. Upgrades are what they are. I don't ask for them and never expect them, for work I'm Upper or PE if we're a group, leisure I book PE.

The card is about the clubhouse and revivals for me. Worth the wait.

PS. Spoke to absolutely LOVELY woman in Customer Service today re my letter to them (consistency thread), she's told me my letter has gone to 'Richard Branson's office' - and I should hear next week. Wonder what that means.
#25695 by RichardMannion
11 Feb 2004, 17:02
There is Customer Relations, and then there is a separate team classed as 'Sir Richard's Office' who deal with the stuff from VS Au's and J Passengers.

I've found them to be very good and fair - I have their phone number remembered jsut in case :)

Thanks,
Richard
#25839 by Jonathan S
17 Feb 2004, 15:42
10k miles seem to have been deposited into my account this morning. Presuming I may have a letter from RB's office when I get home. Feels odd seeing miles credited first. Actually more important is the letter.

ps. anyone else doing the status match offer from Star Alliance?
#25842 by The_Banking_Scot
17 Feb 2004, 19:57
Hi JonathanS,

Congratulations on reaching Gold.

I have faxed my details to the Stus match people ( joining BMI). I think there will be a wait of several weeks before stuff comes through.

Regards

TBS

VS FC Gold
#25843 by mcuth
17 Feb 2004, 21:40
Jonathan
quote:ps. anyone else doing the status match offer from Star Alliance?

Yup - no word from them yet though - over 2 weeks ago since I sent in all the details...[|)]

Michael

--
Virgin virgin? Try it, you know you wanna :D
Virgin Atlantic