This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#247 by squibber
10 Feb 2004, 22:24
[?]How does one earn tier points on Virgin partner airlines? I have found that although mileage accrual shows on my account--I have no tier points as each leg of a 2000 plus non direct flight is listed as a separate flight.
If one is flying Continental or Delta, what needs to occur for tier points to be credited to the FF account?
Many thanks
#25681 by squibber
11 Feb 2004, 00:40
Thanks Richard,
Since there are few direct transcontinental flights with most US airlines that don't require a layover or plane change at one of their hubs--it seems unlikely that tier points can accrue. It does seem, in all fairness, that if the flight is booked from point a to point b that the total mileage should be considered as one journey. Do others have any thoughts on this?
Thanks,
Sq
#25699 by Nottingham Nick
11 Feb 2004, 19:46
Sq

I have achieved tier points on America West flights from BOS to Phoenix and Vegas.

I don't think VS would want it to be too easy for pax to potentially attain Gold status without ever setting foot on Virgin metal.

Nick

VS Silver
Flying with Virgin since 1984.
#25860 by squibber
18 Feb 2004, 15:21
Thanks for the help but even after talking to Virgin FC on the phone--who were "not sure" --if one flies first class on a partner airline does one accrue 2 tier points for flights over 2000 AS WELL as 1 point for each additional leg under 2000 of the same journey?
#25902 by jaguarpig
19 Feb 2004, 12:33
As I understand it 2 TPs in First if flight is over 2000 miles and 1 TP if under 2000 miles. If you flew with Gulf Air first class to Bangkok you could fly LHR to Barhain over 2k 2tps then on to Oman on a different flight number different plane under 2k 1 tp then to BKK over 2k 2tps but the flights have to have a different flight number if the flight from Bahrain just stopped at Oman for an hour then onto BKK with the same flight number you get just the 2TPs.Singapore Airlines is different 7 tps in first class for over 2k miles so a return to SYD should net 28 tps I think.Good way to renew gold if you have a spare £5k or so for the ticket
#25906 by Vslf
19 Feb 2004, 15:28
Can confirm that Singapore is different, did LHR-SIN-AKl and back over christmas in Raffles Class (business) 5tp for each leg, so 20 tp for the whole trip, keeps me silver for another year, just need a couple of UC flights to the US and might even tip over to gold.

Quite a cheap way of getting points, I paid 1700GBP for the flights

VSlf
#25984 by mcuth
22 Feb 2004, 12:34
quote:Originally posted by Nottingham Nick
I don't think VS would want it to be too easy for pax to potentially attain Gold status without ever setting foot on Virgin metal.

I always found it strange that flying Singapore in 1st over 2k miles gets more tier points than flying UC on VS

Michael
#25995 by RichardMannion
22 Feb 2004, 17:46
quote:
I always found it strange that flying Singapore in 1st over 2k miles gets more tier points than flying UC on VS

Michael

Well no, not really. Upper Class is a J offering - Premium Business, where Singapore First is a true F offering.

Thanks,
Richard
#26004 by mcuth
22 Feb 2004, 21:24
Richard
quote:Well no, not really. Upper Class is a J offering - Premium Business, where Singapore First is a true F offering.

Fair enough, and I do understand that Singapore have a 49% stake in VS anyway - but still, they're the only partner airline to have such a generous tier point allowance (easier to earn FC Gold without setting foot on VS metal :))

Michael
#27205 by Goldenoldie
21 Mar 2004, 08:08
My view is that Singapore Raffles business class is very good and perhaps as good as UC (I have not yet experienced suites). On the run to Australia I have found the leg to SIN on a 744 Megatop excellent but the leg from Singapore to Adelaide on a 777 had an inferior and uncomfortable seat. However, getting two thirds of the AU renewal level on one trip is generous and I wonder what the tier point arrangement will be for VS on the Sydney route if this does indeed happen.
#27300 by Vslf
22 Mar 2004, 10:58
Goldenoldie,

I agree, I would put Raffles class (with spacebeds on a megatop) in the same league as UC. Having said that I have not ries UC suites yet, that may put UC ahead again, it would be a tricky choice on a flight to SYD.

As Richard says First class on Singapore is very different from UC, a true First class experience (at a true First class price ;)).
Virgin Atlantic