This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#783843 by Sedders77
26 Jun 2011, 10:13
Hi everyone,

Could anyone advise me on when they think the next sale will be on for flights towards the end of April next year, planning a 3 week trip and at the minute flights are at a daunting £644!!! Far from the £480 paid last year. Will the prices come down at all?

Many thanks
Last edited by Sedders77 on 24 Jun 2015, 22:28, edited 3 times in total. Reason: Moved to Departure Lounge
#783858 by tontybear
26 Jun 2011, 12:06
Welcome

I'm afraid you are asking the 'how long is a piece of string'

Yes there will almost certainly be future sales. As to when they are no one knows. Even if there is a sale there is no guarentee that your routing will be part of it. Some routes never seam to be in the sales.

Where are you flying to? That will be the main driver.

Don't forget to factor Easter into your calculations too as it is obviously a popular time to travel.

People need to stop comparing current prices with those from a few years ago as the price of fuel etc has gone up a lot! What you need to do is compare the VS price with those of other airlines.

Personally I don'tsee fares in general coming down at all to the levels we have seen in the past.
#783859 by Luke085
26 Jun 2011, 12:08
Hello

If only we knew the answer to that question, we'd all save a lot of money!

In essence, VS vary the sales and you really won't know. Certainly for April 2012, which is generally a popular time I don't think you'll see any sale fares until Jan-Feb next year and this is only subject to volume of bookings from VS end.

If anything, the prices may even go up.

If your dates and destinations are fixed, I would book it as soon as you see a price you are happy with as many I know have lost out recently thinking prices will go down and they have actually gone up!

VS do sometimes release the lower fare codes a little later, so you may see prices come down but it's a risk.
#783861 by northernhenry
26 Jun 2011, 12:36
Welcome
As a hint, watch what BA are doing, in certain instances when BA offer sales VS have been known to do stuff.......
Amazingly when this happens the fares can be nearly identical.. So if in doubt they are a good comparison site..

If it's MCO you are looking at fares for next year have gone daft, and wouldn't expect anything special, as above keep an eye on BA activity..
NH
#783862 by Sedders77
26 Jun 2011, 12:42
Many thanks for your responses, it is at the end of April a few weeks after Easter, we would like to fly to MCO as we have done this twice before. I suppose we will just have to wait and see, many thanks again
#783864 by RyanJW
26 Jun 2011, 12:46
Just going to add that Kayak is a god-send especially their price update emails. Saves checking the VS website every day.

To add to the OP misery, in 2008 I flew into NYC and out of MIA for £315 with my parents. They were quite put out when we had to pay around £500 mark to fly in and out of MIA this year! Damn taxes, government, and everything else.
#783877 by Luke085
26 Jun 2011, 15:45
Sedders77 wrote:Many thanks for your responses, it is at the end of April a few weeks after Easter, we would like to fly to MCO as we have done this twice before. I suppose we will just have to wait and see, many thanks again

For MCO, perhaps try flying into JFK and taking a connection (Jet Blue have a good rep) down to MCO.

I've looked at this for costings and there are big savings to be made. JFK is easy to get around with the airtrain between terminals.
#783879 by sickbag
26 Jun 2011, 16:18
Not sure about flights going up. Our Xmas flights are the cheapest we've paid for years! Though 2 days after we booked them the price increased by £120 a seat ;-)
#783937 by mdvipond
27 Jun 2011, 10:34
Whilst there's no doubt at all that fares have rocketed upwards in the last few years, our recently booked BGI flights were probably cheaper than I've seen since the mid '00s. I guess it's just the luck of the draw sometimes.
#795967 by RickT
19 Nov 2011, 16:40
tontybear - I have been watching the prices for the MAN to MCO route for the last few months now and booked my flights for mid April 2012 earlier this week.

From watching the prices, currently over the last 2 weeks in general for this route on our rough dates (we were not fixed on travel dates) they have gone up around £35 per person.

If your happy with the current costs i say book it... for a good comprasion, for us, TCX, TOM/FCA, MON were al going to cost more than VS.

Our outbound flight going out appears to already be 50% full in eco (as per the seat selections, unless VH reverse some) and that's a mid week fight.

Rick
#795983 by Spill
19 Nov 2011, 21:45
Looking at Expedia today for mco and prices seem well down. Especially using an aer lingus connection to gatwick in July. £547 all in. About £200 less than it was two weeks ago.
Virgin Atlantic