This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#873645 by adamsapple
25 May 2014, 13:59
So,

I've been flying to and fro China for the past decade now, always trying to save a quid or two travelling cattle and in the process becoming quite a connoisseur of China Eastern's cuisine. I've finally decided enough is enough and it is time to plan my travel a little more intelligently.

I've never paid much attention to loyalty schemes (this is probably why I've somehow accumulated 25 thousand miles with Korean Air's SkyPass!) but have recently decided to buy into it in a big way. The only flight I can ever remember enjoying was operated by Virgin, and that is enough for me to have decided to pledge allegiance to their livery. Knowing a bit about the history of SRB and Freddie Laker vs BA / BMI helped too.

To that end I have taken out credit cards, downloaded toolbars, ordered a case of wine, taken surveys, and would even have signed up for a Tesco Clubcard had the website let me do so from Qingdao.

If anyone's still reading this, here's the challenge I've set myself. I am returning to Scotland this Aug / Sept to do a Masters at good old Glasgow Uni. My wife will be heavily pregnant by then and I want her to travel in as much comfort as possible. Saving money will not be my No. 1 priority, but I am Scottish! I have accumulated 25, 500 Flying Club miles so far (not bad considering I've not set foot on a plane since I started), and am open to suggestions on how to raise this further (I am currently checking out Hertz vs Avis and deciding which hotel loyalty scheme to go with).

After scouring the various websites I am now familiar with terms such as buckets and Bonus Miles, and even know the seating plan of an A346, but can't find the flight code for the bucket until after I have selected the ticket on Virgin's website, and then it always seems to be X or Y since I only get the choice of cheapest or most flexible. Is there any way to search specifically by flight code? Is this only possible by phoning FC directly?

At the moment July - Sept is blocked out for rewards, and prices seem a bit steep - is that likely to change as we get closer to these dates? Schools seem to go back in early Sept, so I don't think demand will be that high after that. I need to be back on 15th Sept to enrol, (and 18th to vote for the Union!) and can work in China anytime upto that date.

I'm planning on buying 2 single tickets on VS251 - PVG to EDI. It is likely, but not assured, that we will return to China within 12 months, probably for a holiday. Flights always seem much cheaper booking returns from Blighty than China, and friends of mine often book open ended returns UK-side, so that may be a factor. So the real question is - how do I get the most bang for my buck? I'm not used to flying Biz class, so we should probably experience PE before trying to get Upper, but will fly Econ if it is the best deal. Maybe I can get a reward and pay for my wife. Putting my wife in Upper and sloping off to Econ for me is also an option. I will care not a jot about TPs this year as I don't envisage doing enough travel to reach even Silver over the next 12 months, but I will be happy to earn miles if possible.

Being a complete virgin (groan!) at this, any help is appreciated. Also, please advise if I'm breaking any netiquette rules. I am impressed by the amount of knowledge and willingness to share information out there, and people like Preiffer and Nottingham Nick seem to turn studying this into an artform.

Ta in advance,

Adam

PS - kudos to VS for being on track to return to profit this year. It will feel good to pay money to a British company for my flight - doubly good since they accept Virgin Atlantic's AmEx!

PPS - any ideas on how to cash in my Skypass miles greatly appreciated. I see they have some connection to Hawaii Airlines, as does Virgin. Other than that it seems I will need to fly to ICN unless SRB joins the alliance.