This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#907825 by NYLON
27 Jul 2015, 11:09
I hate to see my CH guest access go to waste. I'm on the VS001 today, and nobody has claimed it (yet)!

What's the best way to approach someone at the airport to offer them my guest pass? I always feel terribly self conscious when I do it.

I'm doing DTCI today, which makes it a bit trickier.

Any tips!?

Cheers!

NYLON
#907829 by gumshoe
27 Jul 2015, 12:27
Virtually impossible if you use DTCI, short of physically approaching random people in the departure lounge, 95% of whom won't be on your flight anyway so won't be eligible. And as the gate won't be announced until about an hour before departure you can't go there first and invite someone back.

I'd say let it go. If you tried on here you did your best.
#907835 by NYLON
27 Jul 2015, 15:13
I found someone!

Walking between Duty Free and the CH, I hunted eagle-like for solo individuals with the red '30 minute' hand luggage tags. Third time lucky, I found a nice old boy who just didn't believe me, until I showed him my boarding pass.

I think he's on his third round of Lanson already...

And I was rewarded with a $50 Bergdorf Goodman voucher in the CH (along with everyone else flying to NYC)!

:cool:
#907838 by NYLON
27 Jul 2015, 15:30
The first person I asked got really suspicious, and wanted to know why I wanted to know the particular flight he was on.

I have to work out a better order of questioning.

Currently it's:

1) Are you flying alone?
2) Are you on the VS XYZ?

Maybe I should swap the order, so it doesn't sound like a REALLY BAD pick up line. :blush:
#907846 by dickydotcom
27 Jul 2015, 18:46
:D
NYLON wrote:The first person I asked got really suspicious, and wanted to know why I wanted to know the particular flight he was on.

I have to work out a better order of questioning.

Currently it's:

1) Are you flying alone?
2) Are you on the VS XYZ?

Maybe I should swap the order, so it doesn't sound like a REALLY BAD pick up line. :blush:

It's not something I would do, but if I was going to I would ask, "Excuse me do you know where VS XYZ is boarding?"
That way they if they are on it they'll probably tell you.

Alternatively, "hello little girl. Are you flying alone?" could work.

Dick D
#907849 by NYLON
27 Jul 2015, 18:59
dickydotcom wrote: It's not something I would do, but if I was going to I would ask, "Excuse me do you know where VS XYZ is boarding?"

Yes, smart. I'll try it next time.

dickydotcom wrote: Alternatively, "hello little girl. Are you flying alone?" could work.

:-O :-O :-O :-O :-O
#907854 by tontybear
27 Jul 2015, 19:36
Did you not offer to show your etchings?
#907856 by NYLON
27 Jul 2015, 19:47
Andie870 wrote:Thank you Nylon,

after a miserable, wet Monday at work this post literally has me crying with laughter. Really glad you found someone to use your guest pass without getting arrested in the process.

I do my best!

And they even let me on the plane, after my harassing a bunch of people in T3!

I'm currently enjoying a lovely flight, with great service and terrific cabin crew...
#907857 by NYLON
27 Jul 2015, 19:54
tontybear wrote:Did you not offer to show your etchings?

Ok, ok, ok, my first attempt was a total fail. It went something like this:

ME: Are you by yourself?

HIM: [wtf]

ME: I mean, are you on a flight by yourself?

ME: With Virgin, right?

ME: on the VS1?

HIM: Why should I tell you what flight I'm on?

ME: DO YOU WANT TO SEE MY ETCHINGS???

HIM: Security! Er, SECURITY!
#907867 by Bretty
27 Jul 2015, 20:52
Roflmao. I have a dirty Mac you can borrow for added authenticity :cool:
#907868 by tontybear
27 Jul 2015, 21:19
Perhaps they remembered this ?

Charlie says ...
#907870 by ultreen1
27 Jul 2015, 22:19
Omg this is hilarious!!

Well done on using your guest pass, I would have loved to seen the attempts...I bet it's all down to the approach!

My requirements for me giving my guest pass would be...he has to be blond, 6ft, slim, blue eyes, big lips and wearing tight denims. Also he must sit with me in the clubhouse and listen to my ramblings about beekeeping.

I just told Simon about me stalking T3 departures for a suitable candidate...he said I'd be moved to economy with the newly found boy up front with him... >-(
#907896 by PaulW
28 Jul 2015, 17:48
Personally I find this random guesting very very odd.

The number of times people moan on here that the clubhouse was busy, could not find a seat, the service was slow, the cloak of invisibility hit etc etc etc. Then we have this random guesting.

I probably have a guest 5% of the time and am very grateful that I have this opportunity as an Au. I would be disappointed if this was not a perk of Au status, but If this happens more and more will VS remove the privilege?

Sorry just my opinion. ......
#907901 by marshy11
28 Jul 2015, 19:00
I've often wondered if it works in reverse, ie from the non UK airport back to the UK?
#907902 by NYLON
28 Jul 2015, 19:15
marshy11 wrote:I've often wondered if it works in reverse, ie from the non UK airport back to the UK?

It's easier in places like Newark, where everyone - essentially - goes through the same security channel; it's a small security area with not too many flights, so it's much easier to spot VS pax. I was once talking to a woman in the security queue (often when it's not too busy at EWR there is no fast track channel), and I realised we were on the same flight, so suggested it.

I have to say, it does always smack slightly of a chat-up line, but that could be my delivery. I'll work on it in the mirror: "You talkin' to me? You talkin' to me? You talkin' to me?" :cool:
#907903 by tontybear
28 Jul 2015, 21:13
PaulW wrote:Per
The number of times people moan on here that the clubhouse was busy, could not find a seat, the service was slow, the cloak of invisibility hit etc etc etc. Then we have this random guesting.

You should read some of the threads on the BA board on Flyer Talk about this.

The same people who complain about the busy lounges are often the ones who are against any suggestions for doing something about it e.g. guest on same flight only!
#914001 by Bretty
04 Dec 2015, 00:44
I'm recurring this thread instead of posting new. Has anyone else tried to invite a stranger at the the airport to be their guest in the Clubhouse?
I ask because I'm thinking of doing the same on my flight out to JFK on 23/12. I just don't want to come off as a weirdo in the process!
Virgin Atlantic