This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#912515 by Smid
03 Nov 2015, 16:25
http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015 ... obal-entry

They've announced that UK citizens can get global entry, and have to be vetted and interviewed by a US official.

Seems to add up to about 100 quid for five years cover...

Is this new? Thought we had something before... Have to be interviewed in the US I assume before you get the status?
#912517 by RyanJW
03 Nov 2015, 16:55
I've got Global Entry for a couple of years now and so do a few others on here I believe.

It's been a fantastic thing to have especially at SFO when the Emirates plane lands just before the VS19

:-D In and out in under two minutes.
#912520 by mitchja
03 Nov 2015, 17:26
Previously, Gloabal Entry for UK citizens has only ever been by invitation only (usually top tier Frequent Flyers).

VS did once send me one, however, by the time I got my police certificate and sent it back to VS, they had run out of their allocation of application codes/invites >-( (To be fair to VS though, they did refund me the cost of the police certificate application cost).

I wonder if the initial UK vetting is going to be the same thing, as I seem to remember it costing me about £42 for a police certificate?
#912521 by RyanJW
03 Nov 2015, 17:38
SlimpyJones wrote:Did you have to have an interview Ryan? What was it like?

I had to get a ACPO certificate saying there was "No Trace" of me on the Police National Computer as well as some photos, upload copies of my Passport and Driving license as well as a few other bits and bobs like proof of residency here in the UK like a mortgage/rental contract, company salary slips, household bills, bank statements.

I then flew over to SFO for the interview. I was a little worried about it, but in reality it wasn't a big deal. I think it was so early in the program, when I went to the Enrolment centre in SFO, the CBP chap had never processed a non US citizen before so I just sat there quietly whilst he inputted all the data in, took a brief look at all my documentation then got all of my fingerprints and said thanks very much you are now enrolled and enjoy Global Entry.

It wasn't until I was going a Virgin America flight did I realise I can enter my Known Traveller number also gets me TSA-Pre Check which at the time, wasn't a published benefit. It's something they mention a lot now, that GE also gets you TSA-Pre which depending on how much you travel inside the US, can be very useful. Unless your getting the first wave of flights out of MCO airport and the TSA-Pre line was much longer than the standard line at 5:30am!
#912524 by Smid
03 Nov 2015, 18:05
So how long did it take from registration to getting an interview set aside?

Are the interviews all across the US? In the centre of cities?

I mean, I'll be hitting Vegas in December, but wouldn't really have time on the way through LAX to Hawaii...
#912536 by RyanJW
03 Nov 2015, 20:15
Once you've been approved for the interview on the GOES online system, it's quite simple to schedule an interview at one of the enrollment centers. They give you all the available dates/times for the various locations so you can see what works out. From recollection NYC had loads of availability when I was doing it. The enrollment centers are all in the US at the moment and mainly at airports or CBP offices.
#912548 by serenawell
04 Nov 2015, 01:54
Darren Wheeler wrote:Hopefully when the new US Embassy/Visa Centre opens in 2016/17 you'll be able to do the interviews there.

Where is this opening ?? I have to go the US Embassy in London for my visa interviews.
#912551 by Penny_L
04 Nov 2015, 02:25
serenawell wrote:
Darren Wheeler wrote:Hopefully when the new US Embassy/Visa Centre opens in 2016/17 you'll be able to do the interviews there.

Where is this opening ?? I have to go the US Embassy in London for my visa interviews.

It's just being built in Wandsworth, Nine Elms.
#912573 by linb121
04 Nov 2015, 17:13
Can anyone who has been through the process tell me how long it takes please? I can see that the process is opening on 3rd December and my next Vegas trip is 14th December. So I am wondering if there is time to do the interview during my trip if my application has been processed?
#912576 by RyanJW
04 Nov 2015, 18:03
Once you've been accepted, you've got 30 days to schedule an interview and the interview must be completed within 90 days. It really depends on how busy the enrolment center is and their available space. They don't do drop in appointments unfortunately. The only time you are allowed to just walk in is when your passport expires and you need to update your new passport details to the GE system

It might be worth looking at different enrolment centers on your travels and seeing their wait times.
http://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-trave ... t-centers/

Getting the ACPO certificate actually took longer, however I'm not sure how long the new UK side vetting will take.
#912594 by Bretty
05 Nov 2015, 00:07
Is this worth doing though for those of us who travel only for leisure just a couple of times per year?
#912599 by etk
05 Nov 2015, 08:11
Bretty wrote:Is this worth doing though for those of us who travel only for leisure just a couple of times per year?

For me I'd say yes. I have an unnatural hatred of the two hour queue when getting in to the states. It's a bit of faff organising this, and costs a bit of money but to avoid that completely for the next five years (potentially 10+ visits?) is well worth it. The fact it might give tsa pre when flying internally is another bonus.
#912617 by RyanJW
05 Nov 2015, 13:42
Bretty wrote:Is this worth doing though for those of us who travel only for leisure just a couple of times per year?

I haven't used the new ESTA machines yet so I can't tell you if it would be worth it for only a once or twice a year now these machines are becoming more prevalent.

Anecdotal evidence here: My mum and I were on the VS45 a few weeks back, I went through GE and she did the ESTA machines, I was out in 60 seconds and she came through about 10 minutes behind just as the luggage was coming through, however she came through SFO in April before the ESTA machines were available and it was about a hour to get through CBP.

If you plan on doing internal flights or travel with hand luggage a lot on business, then I would say go for it. Oh and if you fly into MIA, definitely do it if you fly into MIA :-P
#912618 by Martin
05 Nov 2015, 13:51
Slightly off topic, but I entered the USA at JFK on Monday and they have installed many (I guess about 100) automated entry terminals in the hall there. I arrived on VS45 and expected the dreaded 1 hour wait. Instead it took me about 3 minutes to get through with no waiting at all. The machines scan your passport, ask you the normal blue-form questions, photgraph you and print a boarding pass sized slip with your picture on which you take to a group of agents standing at desks at the end of the hall. They stamp your passport and the slip in a fraction of the time it used to take and off you go.

I was very pleasantly surprised how efficient it was. It is much better technology than the rubbish (which never works) that we have in the UK at the e-passport gates to scan our passports.

If they install this widely and it works that smoothly, I'm not sure I'll bother with GE, even though I go to the US several times a year.

PS - I came back in to Heathrow this morning on VS108 and the queues at immigration were about the same for e-passports and human officers. I took the human route which was quick and efficient. From what I could see only 1 or 2 of the e-gates was working. Shocking.
#912619 by Hamster
05 Nov 2015, 14:15
As has been said, queuing times are coming down with the new ESTA machines, though they aren't always fast, and sometimes if there are a lot of USA citizens, some airports exclude others form using them.

GE would be very helpful for people who have a VISA to enter the USA. (well some VISAs anyway!)

Martin wrote:I was very pleasantly surprised how efficient it was. It is much better technology than the rubbish (which never works) that we have in the UK at the e-passport gates to scan our passports.

PS - I came back in to Heathrow this morning on VS108 and the queues at immigration were about the same for e-passports and human officers. I took the human route which was quick and efficient. From what I could see only 1 or 2 of the e-gates was working. Shocking.

You should see the new ones in T5 that will be coming to all other Terminals in the future, smaller foot print so can have many many more, and work a lot quicker. Saying that, I have never had an issue with the old design e-passport gates, and the longest queue I have met is about 10-15 people, and am out in 5 minutes...
#912626 by gumshoe
05 Nov 2015, 15:16
Martin wrote:Slightly off topic, but I entered the USA at JFK on Monday and they have installed many (I guess about 100) automated entry terminals in the hall there. I arrived on VS45 and expected the dreaded 1 hour wait. Instead it took me about 3 minutes to get through with no waiting at all. The machines scan your passport, ask you the normal blue-form questions, photgraph you and print a boarding pass sized slip with your picture on which you take to a group of agents standing at desks at the end of the hall. They stamp your passport and the slip in a fraction of the time it used to take and off you go.

I was very pleasantly surprised how efficient it was.

Ah, but on my last arrival into JFK those 100 odd machines were being serviced by just one agent doing the checking & stamping. The queue was horrendous as there were at least two or three planeloads in the hall.

So it's only efficient if CBP have enough agents on duty. And the customs queue was nasty as well.
#912649 by Bretty
05 Nov 2015, 23:26
I've used the ESTA machines in BOS & SFO without problem. The line to get to them is sometimes long but it's quick once you're there. Maybe won't bother with GE after all. And I've never had a problem with the e-passport gate sat LHR either.
#912682 by Hamster
06 Nov 2015, 18:33
locutus wrote:$20 a year for Global Entry, is a bargain, especially for the fast lane at customs, and TSA Precheck if you fly VX. Be interesting to see how the Home Office screw it up though.

They might surprise you! They are trailing the online system currently, took a few hours for the check to come back completed.
#912684 by linb121
06 Nov 2015, 19:00
Hamster wrote:
locutus wrote:$20 a year for Global Entry, is a bargain, especially for the fast lane at customs, and TSA Precheck if you fly VX. Be interesting to see how the Home Office screw it up though.

They might surprise you! They are trailing the online system currently, took a few hours for the check to come back completed.

I looked at the Home Office webpages on Gov.UK to see if I could see a link to start the process before the 3rd December, i.e. do the UK bit in time for December when the USA system becomes available, but could not see any links to this. Can you please tell me if it is the usual DBS (Disclosure and Barring Service) or if there is a specific part of the Home OFfice site please?
Virgin Atlantic