This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#918817 by Linda671
15 Mar 2016, 14:39
Just had my interview at MCO last week. Very quick and easy
The officer only asked for my passport, driving licence and provisional acceptance letter
I took a utility bill and credit card statement as further proof of address but this wasn't necessary
The officer explained that UK Citizens would not get a TSA/Global Entry Card but said that if I was booking an international or domestic flight with a US carrier, I could add my approved traveller number at time of booking and use the TSA Pre-Check lines at the airport. I've actually just done this for an internal US flight I've booked with South West
When I first arrived at MCO, it took 1.45 hours to get through immigration and the the Global Entry lane was totally empty so I would have been happy to have it then!
#920472 by SlimpyJones
26 Apr 2016, 16:01
Sent in my application on Friday - am off to NY on Saturday, so if there's a slim chance they can approve my application within the next four days that sets me up quite nicely for a potential interview at some point next week! I suspect I'd be pushing my luck though...
#922207 by David
01 Jun 2016, 00:18
Dragged myself away from the pool this morning for my Global Entry interview.

Seems to be very busy by all accounts at MCO but only running a few mins late.

Whole process only took 5 mins, fingerprints, photos and a quick explanation of tsa pre.

Now to find out how to add it to my Mco to JFK flight next weekend.

David
#922209 by mitchja
01 Jun 2016, 00:33
David wrote:

David

Most US carriers have a section within their online view booking to enter your known traveller number (which is your Global Entry membership number).
#922211 by David
01 Jun 2016, 00:37
mitchja wrote:
David wrote:

David

Most US carriers have a section within their online view booking to enter your known traveller number (which is your Global Entry membership number).

Found it. Thanks James.
#922329 by contractor
03 Jun 2016, 14:58
I used GE and TSA Pre for the first time last week. Verdict: Oh its great :)

LHR-ATL
It was great to use the auto machine and then sail past the long immigration queue and then straight into baggage - 5 mins flat. Was on a G so was near the front anyway. Bags still took 20 mins, but customs was a breeze too

Transfer to ATL domestic (onward to MCO) was poor. Same old aggro at TSA point, shame there. No option for TSA Pre.

Return from MCO>ATL - used TSA Pre - brilliant. Through in 5 mins, no shoes/socks/laptop - complete bag on conveyor and straight through. Great

ATL-LHR - no CBP etc. so no issues there

LHR T3. What a shambles and a let down. I see T3 UK Border is still the same armpit as it was in March with the long queues back to the hall-entry doors etc. I was actually embarrassed as a UK citizen to be associated with such a welcome to the UK...

Overall GE and TSA Pre is well worth the ~£100 for 5yrs.
#923481 by CHill710
06 Jul 2016, 15:39
Had my interview there last month the office is behind the Ron Jon shop. Sign in on the sheet of paper by the window and sit and wait in the main corridor.
#923567 by Smid
07 Jul 2016, 11:50
Linda671 wrote:Just had my interview at MCO last week. Very quick and easy
The officer only asked for my passport, driving licence and provisional acceptance letter
I took a utility bill and credit card statement as further proof of address but this wasn't necessary
The officer explained that UK Citizens would not get a TSA/Global Entry Card but said that if I was booking an international or domestic flight with a US carrier, I could add my approved traveller number at time of booking and use the TSA Pre-Check lines at the airport. I've actually just done this for an internal US flight I've booked with South West
When I first arrived at MCO, it took 1.45 hours to get through immigration and the the Global Entry lane was totally empty so I would have been happy to have it then!

Silly question, but how long did the interview last...

Chance of seeing if there's one in SFO in a month and a halfs time...
#923568 by CHill710
07 Jul 2016, 11:56
Mine took less than 15 mins
#924082 by Smid
20 Jul 2016, 11:22
So I'm considering doing this, but I'm concerned that the small time window I have near an airport with appointments on a months time might be fully booked.

I'll be in SF for pretty much one full day late august, with a late day (probably from 6ish) the day before, and until we leave from SJC at 9ish the next day.

Is it worth trying to do this? What's the cost to me if I register to try, and can't get an appointment. It would be nice, and kind of hope that it isn't affected by the brexit stupidity (unlike my currency to be bought before that).
#924086 by pblondon
20 Jul 2016, 13:10
I can't recommend GE high enough, it is definitely worth it. It means I can now get through a packed JFK immigration hall in about a minute which means I no longer worry about trying to avoid busy times. Even the (slow) ESTA machines are nothing in comparison as you still have to queue to see someone afterwards with those. I usually fly hand luggage only, now its a quick passport and fingerprint scan on a GE machine, you flash the receipt at an official and then also go through a priority customs queue (your GE receipt doubles as your customs form, no need to complete a separate card).

If you book an appointment and can't make it you can just re-schedule......

I doubt BrexIt will have any effect, the US opened GE to UK citizens because we opened our automated gates to them (and then closed them for replacement at T3!).
#924089 by Smid
20 Jul 2016, 13:40
pblondon wrote:If you book an appointment and can't make it you can just re-schedule......

Has to be within 90 days though, doesn't it? Currently have no further plans to visit the US (NZ at christmas, and $1.31 has killed my plans for at least two reward trips next year, and maybe a Hawaii run).
#924093 by Smid
20 Jul 2016, 17:51
As for the costs. So I pay £42 to the uk government, they come back with a Yes, and then I go to the US website and enter my details.

Do I have to pay $100 before I can choose my appointment? I might risk throwing away £42 on the chance. But frankly its getting too short a notice at a month methinks to be getting the full clearance from both (clarance?)

(From Airplane!)

Roger Murdock: Flight 2-0-9'er, you are cleared for take-off.
Captain Oveur: Roger!
Roger Murdock: Huh?
Tower voice: L.A. departure frequency, 123 point 9'er.
Captain Oveur: Roger!
Victor Basta: Request vector, over.
Captain Oveur: What?
Tower voice: Flight 2-0-9'er cleared for vector 324.
Roger Murdock: We have clearance, Clarence.
Captain Oveur: Roger, Roger. What's our vector, Victor?
Tower voice: Tower's radio clearance, over!
Captain Oveur: That's Clarence Oveur. Over.
Tower voice: Over.
Captain Oveur: Roger.
Tower voice: Roger, over!
Roger Murdock: What?
Captain Oveur: Huh?
Victor Basta: Who?
#924105 by Smid
20 Jul 2016, 23:38
Silver Fox wrote:It's worth every penny. Just do it.

A seriously unhelpful comment. Sure it's worth every penny.

However, I might be wasting 120 quid to not get it. Because all the appointments are booked, and I'm applying at short notice.

So there's a pretty decent chance I can't "Just do it."
#924108 by Stevieboy
21 Jul 2016, 00:03
Smid wrote:As for the costs. So I pay £42 to the uk government, they come back with a Yes, and then I go to the US website and enter my details.

Do I have to pay $100 before I can choose my appointment? I might risk throwing away £42 on the chance. But frankly its getting too short a notice at a month methinks to be getting the full clearance from both (clarance?)

I applied on June 15th and got a yes for the British part within 24 hours. On the 16th I completed the US form and submitted it with my $100. The provisional acceptance appeared on the website on 7th July at which time I booked my appointment at MCO for 14th September (The earliest date available was 22nd August).

-Steve
#924109 by etk
21 Jul 2016, 07:16
Smid wrote:

However, I might be wasting 120 quid to not get it. Because all the appointments are booked, and I'm applying at short notice.

You only have to book the appointment within ninety days, not actually use it. You can also rebook as many times as you like so effectively bump it forward each time it gets near.

That said, if you have no plans to go back to the states... Why bother with Global Entry???
#924116 by Smid
21 Jul 2016, 10:45
etk wrote:
Smid wrote:

You only have to book the appointment within ninety days, not actually use it. You can also rebook as many times as you like so effectively bump it forward each time it gets near.

That said, if you have no plans to go back to the states... Why bother with Global Entry???

Ah right. Nobody ever said that I could rebook it extending it further into the future.

As for no plans. Well, I've got 300K of VS miles, will have about 250K of avios soon and two 2 for 1s, and one day, maybe eventually, the currency will revert (I'm hoping for the brexit project to be become a breaksit project enough to say "Eh? We didn't realise it would be THAT bad"). And that will be within 5 years.

In the last year, I've entered the US three times, and been on 10 separate times when TSA pre entry would have been useful. One two hour wait at LAX was enough for me to know this is good.

If there's a decent ex-Dub sale (and there hasn't been since about January), then Hawaii might on the cards next Easter.

It wasn't the issue of it being good, it was the issue of it being bookable. Maybe it will come to london at some point too.
#924172 by Silver Fox
22 Jul 2016, 17:38
Smid wrote:

Well sorry about that I am. I read your post as "I think it's a lot of money". Anyway, not only can you rebook but you might also get lucky with cancellations and of course you can try your luck with a "walk-in" if they are not busy as that is effectively what I did.
Virgin Atlantic