This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#922538 by gumshoe
08 Jun 2016, 12:29
Yes, always good to see expansion, particularly after all the cuts at LHR.

The leisure routes seem to be thriving which is encouraging as they're what VS is probably best known for. It makes sense to increase frequencies in preparation for the smaller A350s which look all but certain to replace the 747s in the next few years.
#922541 by David
08 Jun 2016, 15:15
It's great to here of more routes, expansion instead of contraction.

I wonder how many more days during the summer next year will we see 5 jumbos sitting at Orlando international. 2 from Gatwick, 2 from Manchester and 1 from either Glasgow or Belfast ( and still no clubhouse :-( )

With the extra flights and now the amounts of passengers transferring from Atlanta, Virgin must be bringing an unbelievable amount of tourists in Florida each year.

It will be interesting to see what they need to do to keep that capacity when / if the new Airbus arrive as I believe they are a bit smaller than the leisure configure 747's

David
#934833 by mattyp
02 May 2017, 07:11
Was this always just a seasonal route? If it has indeed been pulled permanently then it's a real shame.

We flew in to Havana at the end of March and flew back from Varadero on April 9th. The VRA-LGW flight was probably only half full but I put this down to it being only the second flight since the launch. I agree about Varadero airport, A much more relaxing experience than the chaos of Havana.
#934834 by MoJoJo
02 May 2017, 08:14
No it was not supposed to be seasonal and the schedule was available through to early next year. They started cancelling flights in October a few months ago and I was booked on one of the remaining ones in October however have been moved onto the HAV flight the following day. It's a great shame as not onky is Varadero airport a lot closer to Jibacoa where I stay but despite being a smaller airport is much nicer and more efficient than Havana. Both flights in April were full and on arrival I was in my taxi 20 minutes after landing. Flying into Havana last October it took two hours for baggage to arrive which is the norm
#934835 by Tallguy
02 May 2017, 08:51
2 Hour wait for baggage at Havana??? It took me just over an hour just to reach the immigration desk at Havana back in December. Then it was on to baggage reclaim. Shame about VRA being pulled, I would have potentially used it for my next trip to Cuba.
#934881 by MoJoJo
03 May 2017, 06:07
There's now flights showing from December through March if you do an exact date search. None show up for the flexible search. There were no flights showing at all at the weekend when both I and CS checked. I know the plan had been to change the schedule from Sunday to Saturday in October. Seems like a fluid situation and one that VS customer services don't even know about
Virgin Atlantic