This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#925430 by walesflyer
30 Aug 2016, 17:58
Hello all, we counting down the weeks to our first time in UC, return G flights from LHR to MIA in October. My husband helpfully fractured his ankle recently and is currently in plaster and on crutches. The plaster is due to come off 2 weeks before we go (fingers crossed). Not sure yet if he will then be in some kind of boot support, but I'm a bit worried that he won't be his usual fit and mobile self. I've heard that it is a long walk from the gate through Miami immigration, but what about heathrow? Is the gate usually some distance from the lounge? Contemplating booking special assistance but hubby is being typically stubborn and independent at the moment and saying he will be fine! i am not so sure and would be worried about him standing for a long time or walking long distances so soon after being out of plaster,. any advice much appreciated! Is this somehting i book with the airport or the airline if needed? thanks
#925432 by hiljil
30 Aug 2016, 18:31
Both times recently we boarded at LHR quite near the CH , but arriving in Miami was a different story. It was a very, very long walk from the plane to immigration.

If the plaster is due to come off only two weeks before your flight he won't have much time for physio so his leg will be very weak. I still needed crutches to help me walk for a while after my plaster came off ! I would strongly recommend special assistance.
#925519 by Derby Flyer
01 Sep 2016, 14:53
I agree with Hiljil that assistance is advised.
We did this trip last Saturday and although there are moving walkways at both ends, there is still plenty of walking to be done. At LHR end, I would estimate around 8-10 minutes and around 10-15 at MIA end.
Have a good trip.
#925538 by DocRo
01 Sep 2016, 18:54
You'll get off quickly from UC obviously. It is along way to immigration but there are (or st least used to be) golf buggy type things on a first come first served basis. Hop on one and take a ride and slip the guy a wee tip at the end.
#925731 by Nevil30
05 Sep 2016, 13:44
We flew into MIA in early Aug and as usual there were a number of buggies waiting at the top of the ramp to whisk you throw the corridors to immigration for a small tip.

As long as your quick off (there were only 3 buggies so in the first few) then you should be ok and it saves about 15 mins of walking.

We tipped the guy $10 for a few mins work. (We have used the buggies for the last 3 or more flight - we are able bodied but hate the long walk after the long flight)
Virgin Atlantic