This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#928464 by gumshoe
08 Nov 2016, 18:50
Hamster wrote:BA have announced massive investment in CW, to improve food

Which apparently involves "enhancing" the menu from a choice of four mains to three. And they've already trialled reducing the choice of starter to one, a salad.

I think I'll wait to see the outcome of their "massive investment" before I break out the bunting.

As for the seats, BA's CEO Alex Cruz has made it clear he'll only consider changes if they don't mean reducing capacity in CW. Anyone who's flown in the 777 'flying dorm' or downstairs on a 'Super High J' 747 will be painfully aware of BA's penchant for packing 'em in. VS, on the other hand, have admitted they got it wrong on the A330 and are taking seats out of UC to improve the cabin environment.
#928465 by CommanderB
08 Nov 2016, 19:41
Thank you for the reply Oli.

As you mention wanting to make UC seats available more often, and I am sure that even with the price increases, most will agree that more UC seats for redemptions will be a good thing - might you also consider in the future, releasing these seats on set days just like BA do. Currently, searching for UC seats over and over again or using something like expert flyer is a pain. Offering a gauruntee of X seats released at Y time on all routes would be a hugely welcomed change!

Another point to consider -

Additional benefits above the Gold threshold (like BA's GGL) that are published and attainable would be amazing and I am surprised this has been overlooked in these changes. The current benefits of lounge passes, and just one upgrade for 2 is a little light, extra levels with a choice of rewards for people who regularly attain high levels of TPs would be greatly appreciated. Those of us that travel regularly in UC or PE can attain gold in a few months, then move over to another airline like BA for the rest of the year to attain their level of gold because of the additional benefits. Some of us (me included) would be more inclined to stick around and aim for those higher rewards if there was some benefits published and targets to aim for.
#928466 by Hamster
08 Nov 2016, 19:48
gumshoe wrote:Which apparently involves "enhancing" the menu from a choice of four mains to three. And they've already trialled reducing the choice of starter to one, a salad.

I think I'll wait to see the outcome of their "massive investment" before I break out the bunting.

As for the seats, BA's CEO Alex Cruz has made it clear he'll only consider changes if they don't mean reducing capacity in CW. Anyone who's flown in the 777 'flying dorm' or downstairs on a 'Super High J' 747 will be painfully aware of BA's penchant for packing 'em in. VS, on the other hand, have admitted they got it wrong on the A330 and are taking seats out of UC to improve the cabin environment.

Regarding the starter trial, apparently there is more research to do, as there was no change in the level of happy/unhappy customers compared to a choice and not always getting your choice. BA is working hard to expand pre-ordering (including CE), hopefully expanding it to the whole meal. Also it doesn't save money.

Having flown club, I have found it gives more space than UC and more privacy, step over is a little annoying though. It is unlikely BA move away from their layout and will just refresh the materials/mechanism. The style of the Virgin service is (or was, haven't flown since the recent changes) more luxurious though.
#928467 by gumshoe
08 Nov 2016, 20:13
CommanderB wrote:Additional benefits above the Gold threshold (like BA's GGL) that are published and attainable would be amazing and I am surprised this has been overlooked in these changes.

Oli did say in post #928189 (page 4) that they're looking at making changes to the FC tiers in 2017, so your prayers may be answered.
#928468 by gumshoe
08 Nov 2016, 20:23
Hamster wrote:Regarding the starter trial, apparently there is more research to do, as there was no change in the level of happy/unhappy customers compared to a choice and not always getting your choice.

Given that 'customer feedback' apparently led to the decision to start charging for food & drink in Euro Traveller, I'm not sure I place much faith in BA's surveys. Did the majority of their customers really say 'yes' to the question "would you be happy to pay £5 for a G&T that's currently free"?

Hamster wrote:Having flown club, I have found it gives more space than UC and more privacy, step over is a little annoying though.

Agreed. CW is ok if you get a window seat.
#928469 by jayden
08 Nov 2016, 20:55
One thing which didn't shock me but I am surprised that influenced the decision to hike Uc reward fares was that ~25% of redemptions were by people who had not stepped foot on Vs metal to earn.

Surely rather than an extreme hike either lower the earn (especially US cards which boast upto a 90k sign up bonus) or have rules on redemptions which require having flown on VS metal. Part of me understands that this figure would influence a hike but it is still possible for people to fly UC without ever having flown VS (or even DL) metal. Does this mean in a few years when these figures are reviewed and if the % has not changed much Crawley may decide to hike them again.

One thing which would be nice for Au too is Reseved seats like BA do where Row 1s of each cabins are reserved for Aus and Ggl's too. One other thing whilst on topic of status and UC, one thing I have noticed whilst I have held status is very rarely are you welcomed as a FF. whereas when I fly BA with Silver I sometimes get a welcome and always hear Golds who nab a seat in Row 1 getting welcomed.

Just my two cents.
#928471 by LREDI
08 Nov 2016, 23:21
One thing that has been mentioned is that we will receive a new membership card, I presume we will receive new luggage tags as well? If so is there any redesign of the tags? Also with the new website due to launch can we finally expect new Flying Club pages?
#928472 by property1925
09 Nov 2016, 00:42
Oli

You have again answered some questions - but perhaps I'm invisible.

What about TP on non-Delta partners?

(Just in case there is a suggestion that this is about exploiting partners and not using VS as per Oli's email - about 2/3 of my flying is on VS metal, 1/3 on partners -)

Silence means changes I suspect
#928473 by honey lamb
09 Nov 2016, 01:14
Hamster wrote:
Having flown club, I have found it gives more space than UC and more privacy,

Akin to claustrophobia and having food slopped through the "hatch" if you are in a window seat or past your nose if you are in an aisle seat is awful. I've yet to have a CW meal that hasn't been spilt because of that.

step over is a little annoying though.

That, young man, is the understatement of the year. It is more than annoying! Annoying doesn't begin to describe it. I really do not know how BA have got away with it for so long on health and safety grounds alone. It is a tripping hazard, as I can attest from some of my flights, both for the person stepping over and the person who is being stepped over. It means that people less agile must consign themselves to aisle seats whether they like it or not and then run the risk of someone stumbling over them. It means that people who have paid a fair amount of dosh to fly in Business are subjected to being corralled in a way that no other airline treats its Business class passengers.

BA really needs to look at this especially when compared to the Business class offering of other airlines
#928474 by mitchja
09 Nov 2016, 01:16
LREDI wrote:One thing that has been mentioned is that we will receive a new membership card, I presume we will receive new luggage tags as well? If so is there any redesign of the tags? Also with the new website due to launch can we finally expect new Flying Club pages?

I still want to know if previous FC numbers will still be linked?

Received the following email from VS today:

Dear James,

From 13 November 2016, we'll be rolling out some exciting changes to your
Flying Club.

One of the changes we're making is to give you a membership number for life, instead of changing it every time you move tiers.

What's more, as we are giving each member a new membership number, we’re also asking everyone to update their login details. From 13 November, you'll be asked to login with your membership number and to update some security questions.

As a Silver member, you'll be receiving a shiny new card and a luggage tag in the post with your new number.

For more information explore all the latest here.

These changes aren’t far away, so why not set yourself a helpful reminder?

I was also speaking to VS the other day to chase up my missing new FC card as the old one expired 2 months ago and they said all new cards have been on hiatus awaiting these changes.

Who's putting money on the VS websit crashing on the 13th when everyone tries to log in at the same time and make the changes mentioned above??
#928477 by Silver Fox
09 Nov 2016, 09:43
mitchja wrote:
LREDI wrote:One thing that has been mentioned is that we will receive a new membership card, I presume we will receive new luggage tags as well? If so is there any redesign of the tags? Also with the new website due to launch can we finally expect new Flying Club pages?

I still want to know if previous FC numbers will still be linked?

Received the following email from VS today:

Dear James,

From 13 November 2016, we'll be rolling out some exciting changes to your
Flying Club.

One of the changes we're making is to give you a membership number for life, instead of changing it every time you move tiers.

What's more, as we are giving each member a new membership number, we’re also asking everyone to update their login details. From 13 November, you'll be asked to login with your membership number and to update some security questions.

As a Silver member, you'll be receiving a shiny new card and a luggage tag in the post with your new number.

For more information explore all the latest here.

These changes aren’t far away, so why not set yourself a helpful reminder?

I was also speaking to VS the other day to chase up my missing new FC card as the old one expired 2 months ago and they said all new cards have been on hiatus awaiting these changes.

Who's putting money on the VS websit crashing on the 13th when everyone tries to log in at the same time and make the changes mentioned above??

Me if I could ! And it is a Sunday.
#928506 by jayden
09 Nov 2016, 21:41
I have been wondering that too. I'm flying back from US on Sunday and have been told on the phone that everything should be credited as normal - so I presume they must for a little while at least.
#928507 by NYLON
09 Nov 2016, 22:17
Whilst we have Oli Byers here, might it be worth suggesting things which we think might be useful for, or could better, FC in the future?

I'm speaking from the bias of a regular VS & DL customer, mostly paying for tickets, but frequently using miles to upgrade or redeem for UC. I normally renew Au somewhere around 70-90 TP (old system) per year.

I'd like to see:

- A status level between Au and UNIQ
- Some kind of recognition for being Au for five years
- A TP-earning credit card in the UK
- Access to DL SkyClubs when flying DL domestic for Au

I'm sure there are other pax on this board who use VS very differently and have their own suggestions which would better FC for them.

Cheers, and thanks in advance for listening Oli,

NYLON
#928508 by gumshoe
09 Nov 2016, 22:46
I think we'll see (1), Oli has hinted as such.

Not much chance of (2) I'd say - five years isn't long really, particularly when you can attain Au without setting foot on a VS flight. And crucially BA doesn't do it.

(3) would be great but again BA doesn't do it so VS is under no pressure to compete. Oli has alluded to new ways of earning TPs though, so you never know.

(4) would also be great, BA/AA offer it so that would be a genuine enhancement.

A genuine 2-4-1 voucher like BA's would be a real improvement although I realise VS has far fewer flights and therefore far fewer available reward seats which are already highly sought after.
#928509 by narikin
09 Nov 2016, 23:34
Just looked a reward flight NYC>LON round trip in UC, and whilst it's still 80,000 miles for a few more days, the fees have jumped to $1128! - when did that happen? Its nuts!
#928512 by jayden
10 Nov 2016, 04:16
gumshoe wrote:(3) would be great but again BA doesn't do it so VS is under no pressure to compete. Oli has alluded to new ways of earning TPs though, so you never know.

Yet the US based World MasterCard has had TP earn for years - albeit a limited earn.
#928521 by CHill710
10 Nov 2016, 13:46
From virgin holidays holiday lab...
IMG_1949.PNG
IMG_1949.PNG (271.2 KiB) Viewed 8075 times

More ways to earn tier points??
#928523 by CHill710
10 Nov 2016, 15:52
A survey asking for opinions on different options.
Basically all getting to earning more miles and tier points related to spend with VH one example spend £2000 and get 200 tier points leading half way to silver status. Also the ability to use VS miles on VH packages for whole package or for flights or hotels.
#928527 by mallin
10 Nov 2016, 20:07
Also in reference to the Virgin Holidays e-mail, the usual discount as per Red/Silver/Gold status (not changed) and if you spend 2,000 pounds you get 2,000 miles. I have always found VH quite expensive especially on upgrading the flight and usually book separately . It remains to be seen what it will cost after the new rules come into play. Linda
#928540 by catsilversword
11 Nov 2016, 13:25
i was speaking, last night, to some friends (Brits who've lived in the US for years, and who have US citizenship). We were talking about VS, and collecting points etc, they were astonished to hear about changes to flying club. As someone here thought, the changes are only for those based in the U.K.......
#928541 by Martin
11 Nov 2016, 14:29
I got the survey too. I comes from a VH scheme called the Holiday Lab. More detail here:

Note that they use the word "concept" in the URL, so it may change. If the image does not load, I have a saved copy as well.
#928544 by Martin
11 Nov 2016, 14:44
And this further detail:

VH benefits 2.png
VH benefits 2.png (70.24 KiB) Viewed 7747 times
#928546 by jayden
11 Nov 2016, 15:40
Although its a concept those 12 Month checkin upgrade, CH membership and fast track would surely devalue FC which to some has already been devalued? Im going on if this concept scheme is separate to FC
#928564 by vscxfan
11 Nov 2016, 20:01
Martin wrote:And this further detail:

VH benefits 2.png

One of the questions implies the "new" VS/VH concept/scheme (which they say will REPLACE Flying Club!) would allow you to use Miles for "discounts on flights" but (at least not explicitly)not for redemptions + taxes/charges. Reassurance that I will still be able to redeem Miles for an UC ticket - regardless whether VH is involved - would be much appreciated!
Virgin Atlantic