This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#934620 by buns
24 Apr 2017, 21:55
Sealink wrote:And now, checking availability, the date boxes aren't appearing. My god Virgin, this is freakin' basic stuff.

i had a fiasco this evening, trying to make a booking and the blessed site went off somewhere, so I had to resort to phoning - only to find out the fare was blocked!! >-( >-(

buns
#934718 by ColOrd
27 Apr 2017, 21:30
They have sorted out now so my booking which has a Schedule change now has all of the options again along the top and not taken up with the change notification box!
#934789 by catsilversword
30 Apr 2017, 08:53
It always amazes me, how many times there are problems with the VS site and how many glitches there seem to be. Have come to expect issues with it as being the norm. Compare that with this site rarely any issues and those that do happen are swiftly sorted out. Kudos :grin:
#935026 by spacedog
07 May 2017, 18:59
This is very late, but thank you to matt.hibb and scruickshank for your insight on booking reward flights, it has definitely helped! I still find the new system very cumbersome comparatively, but I hope I can secure our annual flights for a big west coast US work conference for 2018. I've had three years of very good luck with miles flights, so I suppose I should expect that to run out at some point.
#936296 by Sealink
27 Jun 2017, 14:18
Tried to book a multi city flight on Virgin website. LONDON - TAMPA - CHICAGO - LONDON

VS doesn't recognise "Chicago" as a destination from Tampa. Automatically assumes that the second sector is a flight back to UK. Sheeesh.

BA gave me a price instantly. And their IT isn't the best. Let me try Delta...
#936299 by mattpawlow
27 Jun 2017, 14:52
What you're tying to do as a path is impossible in its current state.

DL does not fly from Tampa to Chicago, which means that sector won't be loadable in the VS (ultimately DL) system. After that, you could do ORD - ATL - LHR for instance, but given the issue from Tampa-Chicago I think that is blocking it all from working.
#936332 by clarkeysntfc
28 Jun 2017, 10:11
Sealink wrote:Tried to book a multi city flight on Virgin website. LONDON - TAMPA - CHICAGO - LONDON

VS doesn't recognise "Chicago" as a destination from Tampa. Automatically assumes that the second sector is a flight back to UK. Sheeesh.

BA gave me a price instantly. And their IT isn't the best. Let me try Delta...

Virgin no longer fly Chicago-London so I don't think it can give you prices for that route...
#936340 by Vegascrazy
28 Jun 2017, 15:04
I wouldn't discount AA F domestic, personally we found them to be excellent (better than DL F) when we did a triple sector last year (Key West - Miami - Dallas - Palm Springs. Aircraft newer than DL and really good service/meals.
#936342 by gumshoe
28 Jun 2017, 17:30
Agreed. AA have upped their game; the F meals on their longer domestic legs are really rather nice. And if you have BAEC status you can use the Admirals Clubs where they exist.
#936422 by scruickshank
02 Jul 2017, 10:23
So, a weird thing happened today. I had missing flights from my FC account (no surprise there) but once they were added my TP's still did not appear in my Account Summary even tho they are in the detailed statement. I know my membership year expired on the last day of April ...... 1. as I remember thinking my Cuba flights in May will be my first TP earning and 2. My FC overview says I have to "Earn 1000 TP's by the 31st May 2018". That's the standard 13 months. I call up FC and they say my renewal in the system is 1st June 2017. So basically a month of membership when I took flights has disappeared.

I was also trying to book a simple reward outbound, revenue return which the nice CS assistant told me they no longer do. Odd, I thought mixed reward & revenue tickets was a new thing anyway? During it, her system basically blew up and she was losing the plot with it. It was showing incorrect pricing that even I was querying as it seemed outwith the norm. Interesting if I was a new punter who didn't know any better. Also, anyone got any experience of claiming some of the Tax back on a reward ticket for a 2 year old flying. Apparently we can?

Then I booked a simple Mixed class revenue ticket which I am gobsmacked the website STILL doesn't let you do. It will be 8 months since the downgrade this month. I'm booking to pretty much fly round the world in March and looking at it, BA seemed the best and cheapest option. I tried to just book a multi city (LHR-HKG & LAX-LHR) on two legs on the website and it refused. (£586 on BA BTW! Bargain I thought) It MUST be millions of lost revenue now. :-((((
#936442 by spacedog
02 Jul 2017, 14:50
Yeah, I don't think this website has gone the way they wanted. Both my and my OH's accounts still don't say when our membership year for Au expires, so I called yesterday to find out. I thought mine ended at the end of May, but apparently now it's end of July (I'm going to requalify with 1,450 TP as a result, I really wish I could move the 250+ TP earned in June & July to next year, but oh well). The guy on the phone seemed exasperated with the system and said it was taking "much longer than anyone thought" to implement expiry dates of member's accounts. I've only stuck with it because I feel quite invested now with status etc., but I would imagine a lot of other customers would just give up as some things seem so unnecessarily complicated. I also feel like certain parts of the website have been simplified so much that pertinent information is missing. There's user friendly, and then there's so basic as to be of no use whatsoever...
#936454 by property1925
03 Jul 2017, 09:09
Re the year end date

I have this direct from various VS sources - apols if already known

VS gave everyone an extra month on the FC account to qualify for status because of FC problems during the great change.

However, if like me you plan your trips. this extra month is a nightmare - because I over qualify and then might be short next time.

In response VS have promised that TPs earned in the extra month CAN be credited to the next year provided 1. You ask after the extra month has ended and 2. the extra TPs did not take you to a reward point (e.g 1500).

I'm now in my extra month, about to earn the "unwanted" TPs in this year. We will see if they are able to credit for next year
#936463 by spacedog
03 Jul 2017, 12:06
Thanks, property1925 ! That's good news for me as it would be useful for me to move July's TP to next year, I won't quite hit 1,500 so that works out. But I have to contact them in August, is that correct? I think I will requalify next year but would rather be safe than sorry!
#936471 by Southroma
03 Jul 2017, 16:31
Hi Everyone,

Mrs Southroma has masses of flying club miles that we are hoping to use for flights later this year. As she hasn’t been able to log into her flying club account since the website change last year, we telephoned the flying club to sort things out. It took the very helpful Catherine (based in Swansea) almost an hour to get it done. She, and her colleagues, couldn’t have been more helpful and patient with us. A real credit to the organisation. Such a pity the wretched website doesn’t work as efficiently as the Flying Club staff.

When we were flying from Gatwick, earlier in the year, the young lady at the check in desk told us that, daily, she had more complaints about the web site than all other problems combined.

John
#937195 by spacedog
03 Aug 2017, 13:00
spacedog wrote:Thanks, property1925 ! That's good news for me as it would be useful for me to move July's TP to next year, I won't quite hit 1,500 so that works out. But I have to contact them in August, is that correct? I think I will requalify next year but would rather be safe than sorry!

I called VS and after being put on hold was told that even though my flight was taken on July 30th during my "extra" month, their hands were tied and there was nothing they could do to move the TP into my new cycle :-( I will probably requalify regardless, but I do feel like those July TP are wasted...
#939560 by scruickshank
13 Nov 2017, 22:41
So... One Year On since the Downgrade.... And SOOO many things are STILL dreadful sadly. I can categorically say I have flown less with VS as the effort involved in searching for routes and fares is still just too much hassle. Wonder if Oli just wanted us all to go away so he could sleep at night again, whilst probably sitting in back slapping meetings with Delta IT on conference phone telling them how amazing they are and how amazing it all went. #sadtimes
#939561 by slinky09
13 Nov 2017, 22:51
I've been told that the volume of bookings on the web site is small compared to other channels (call centre, VHols, corporate) as an excuse for the poor site - perhaps VS isn't bothered?
#939562 by tontybear
14 Nov 2017, 02:42
slinky09 wrote:I've been told that the volume of bookings on the web site is small compared to other channels (call centre, VHols, corporate) as an excuse for the poor site - perhaps VS isn't bothered?

Perhaps if the website better direct bookings would improve??? That said the BA website is also dire so I tend to do searched on google flights and once I have made a decision only then do I go to the website and book.

As to Oli quite frankly I expected better than the 5 or 6 posts he made. Wasn't expecting him to be here constantly but TBH the posts he made were like the website -dire! He obviously ticked a box somewhere but there is box ticking and engaging with your customers ...
#939563 by mitchja
14 Nov 2017, 04:31
Other than the recent intermittent Flying Club log-in issues I've no real issues with the VS website.

Can I also just clear something up here as well please. I presume everyone is aware that Oli Byers roll at VS is actually SVP Loyalty i.e. in charge of Flying Club and so I doubt he will have anything what so ever to do with the website design or the way it works?

Can we also please stop the staff bashing as well. There’s simply no need for it. If someone chooses not to post on here that is entirely their choice.
#939565 by SlimpyJones
14 Nov 2017, 06:42
Seconding Mitchja, besides login weirdness I've had no problems with the website at all. Sure, there are some things that could be improved e.g. reward searching but it's useable in its current state and not hard to figure out. I don't understand what all the fuss is about.
#939566 by David
14 Nov 2017, 09:15
The little thing that annoys me is when you search for a flight, you have to click on a link to bring the date boxes up - I think that the only travel website that does that.

(then for some reason when selecting the dates, I always seem to click on the 1st date box twice for outbound and inbound instead of the first date box for outbound and the second date box for inbound dates :blush: )

Other than that, its OK, not great, but OK

David
#939567 by scruickshank
14 Nov 2017, 10:43
I understand there will be a minority that will find no fault in their beloved VS. Despite there actually being lots. Please do not misunderstand me, I WAS one of those types. Just merely trying to use an open platform to voice my huge concerns for the impact of such a failure of a website changeover. Possibly in the hope that someone, maybe someone from VS might ever possibly read it. I am pretty sure it has cost them millions. It is a fact that the old site was functionally better. As for those who say they think the website is great and don't know what all the fuss is about, try booking children, split class revenue ticketing, split class reward ticketing, split revenue and reward tickets, seamless reward searching, logging in to FC, realistic single fares. EVERYTHING the Emirates website does (albeit with less design flair I agree) but it just works. Queue the "can see no wrong" followers now picking holes in some of things i've listed. LOL. I just want to see a brand that I was super loyal to at it's best from a customer experience and service point of view. I once was a proud FC AU, now just an FC AU. An likely to not be next year. So we can specifically define Oli's roll as much as we like but the two are mutually related. His very presence here was a glimmer of light and the possible only connection to senior management where he could possibly (and hopefully) voice the very concerns of the most loyal of his customer base, on the impact of the website changes. It HAS definitely reduced the numbers of his loyal customers. Even if it's just me. I'm not alone.
Virgin Atlantic