This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#929822 by pblondon
08 Dec 2016, 09:03
Is anyone getting their miles & tier points posting automatically?

I flew to NYC at the weekend (out Friday, back overnight on Sunday). Nothing has posted and the claim missing miles link doesn't work. I phoned the AU line yesterday and was told "flying club are working as quickly as possible", to give it a couple of weeks and call back if they still aren't there!

This is so unbelievably amateur.......
#929823 by Sealink
08 Dec 2016, 09:41
FLYERZ wrote:Currently stalling my xmas online shopping because of this...only so long I can last

Shops Away is working though.

The affiliate program is referrals to the Virgin Atlantic website
#929827 by Shirley Heights
08 Dec 2016, 20:13
pblondon wrote:Is anyone getting their miles & tier points posting automatically?

I flew to NYC at the weekend (out Friday, back overnight on Sunday). Nothing has posted and the claim missing miles link doesn't work. I phoned the AU line yesterday and was told "flying club are working as quickly as possible", to give it a couple of weeks and call back if they still aren't there!

Thanks for mentioning the Claim Missing Miles link doesn't work as I thought it was just me experiencing problems with it.

Unless the rules have changed, we still have 6 months to claim so I will wait until the new website eventually works properly. Thankfully I'm not in immediate need for my missing miles and TPs, but maybe other Flying Club members are.

Attn Mods: Sorry if this has been posted on the wrong thread.
#929832 by Martin
09 Dec 2016, 01:46
pblondon wrote:Is anyone getting their miles & tier points posting automatically?

I'm still waiting for mine to be added for flights to DXB and back. I went out on 19th Nov and back on 25th. I called the hotline two weeks ago and they said it would be sorted by Friday 2nd Dec. Sounds like you have been told to wait another couple of weeks - until around 21st Dec.

The missing miles link is worse than useless. It won't accept a Virgin eticket number in any form.

This goes from bad to worse.
#929834 by Anderoom
09 Dec 2016, 08:53
I have had two holding emails from Virgin Shops Away to say they are having technical issues and are trying to work things out.
I wrote to shops away because it looks like I have been awarded some points but my balance has not increased. Also viewing shops away transactions on the App, looks like I have lost a 5k bonus as it is now showing as Zero but I don't think they have taken this 5k from me in reality. Definate mismatch between the app and the website when it comes to showing the rewards.
I am looking for a reward flight and keep getting this "technical error 413, please come back later" message but have worked out that this means there are insufficient seats ! Why not just say not enough seats, try a different date?
#929838 by tontybear
09 Dec 2016, 11:38
So log into check how many miles and on the summary page the latest entry is for July! Yes it's moved on from June. I have to click on extra link to get the later transactions.

But at least my December CC miles posted !
#929839 by mitchja
09 Dec 2016, 11:48
My credit card miles posted yesterday correctly.

My tier point balance is still wrong though as it still says I have 550 which I know for a fact is wrong as I should have 0 as my Silver membership year reset in October where I had 22 old TP's (22 x 25 = 550), so according to the website, they have not reset at all, though Flying Club tell me they have and they can see I do currently have 0 TP's!

The app still says my 2017 status will be 'Red' when it should still be Silver :-(
#929841 by David
09 Dec 2016, 12:25
mitchja wrote:
The app still says my 2017 status will be 'Red' when it should still be Silver :-(

James, mines says 2017 status Red, but it does say in tiny tiny writing under my name, account number and miles, Silver

David
#929842 by pblondon
09 Dec 2016, 12:36
The issues I've noticed (I'm sure there are more if I look harder):

Miles & tier points aren't posting automatically for flights.
On login it says I've been gold for one year - it should be five.
It says my 2017 status is red when the tier points I have 3 months into my year make me silver.
The recent activity isn't recent activity, its a random selection from March & April.
The claim missing miles link doesn't work.
When flying PE it no longer says 'Priority" on the mobile boarding pass when you are AU - I had to get one printed at JFK before I could use the priority lane.
A future booking has the link to book a chauffeur when I'm flying in Z and am not entitled to one.
A banner for a "schedule change" in one of my bookings (its just the flight number) covers up all the options at the top so I can no longer print a ticket / itinerary.
Ridiculous UX - having to click an arrow to enter dates for a booking and the class being an advanced option etc etc.
The itinerary for one of my bookings has a "No Class" banner (it's an internal Delta first class flight).

I hope Virgin are monitoring this thread and adding the issues that we are all reporting to a list for fixing.

Testers that work for me would no longer be working for me if they let such obvious defects as these through........
#929843 by MoJoJo
09 Dec 2016, 12:44
tontybear wrote:So log into check how many miles and on the summary page the latest entry is for July! Yes it's moved on from June. I have to click on extra link to get the later transactions.

But at least my December CC miles posted !

My summary now shows April activity however the all activity option only goes as far back as July

When I spoke to FC yesterday to check that VH had in fact booked me in a I fare class they said they had a special team working on all the missing miles issues and hoped things would be resolved in the next few weeks

Looking at future bookings in UC not sure why it even bothers to offer me the 'bid for an upgrade' option and really hate the Cancel flight button!
#929848 by DoomWolf
09 Dec 2016, 13:49
pblondon wrote:Testers that work for me would no longer be working for me if they let such obvious defects as these through........

You're making the assumption that it was actually tested before launch. ;-)

I'm a web developer and in my opinion there's no way most of the issues reported should even be present by the time a site is ready for testing. They should have been picked up by the developers as they were implementing them. Some of the problems are incredibly basic and reflect very poorly on the people that developed the site. It looks to me like a rush job (probably unrealistic deadlines set by management) by an inexperienced and/or under-resourced team.
#929854 by Silver Fox
09 Dec 2016, 14:42
DoomWolf wrote:
pblondon wrote:Testers that work for me would no longer be working for me if they let such obvious defects as these through........

You're making the assumption that it was actually tested before launch. ;-)

I'm a web developer and in my opinion there's no way most of the issues reported should even be present by the time a site is ready for testing. They should have been picked up by the developers as they were implementing them. Some of the problems are incredibly basic and reflect very poorly on the people that developed the site. It looks to me like a rush job (probably unrealistic deadlines set by management) by an inexperienced and/or under-resourced team.

It's beyond description this "roll-out". It breaks all the "rules" of development.
#929856 by slinky09
09 Dec 2016, 14:59
DoomWolf wrote:I'm a web developer and in my opinion there's no way most of the issues reported should even be present by the time a site is ready for testing. They should have been picked up by the developers as they were implementing them. Some of the problems are incredibly basic and reflect very poorly on the people that developed the site. It looks to me like a rush job (probably unrealistic deadlines set by management) by an inexperienced and/or under-resourced team.

Your last line probably hits the nail on the head. I've lead multi-channel digital product developments for many years, and even the newest developers in my teams are able to speak up about issues and risks so I've no doubt somewhere at least in VS's outsourced or in-house team voices were raised only to be shut down by unrealistically created deadlines and expectations (whether time, budget, scope or other) at managerial level. A few years ago I too would have been aghast at VS's ability to release customer facing technology in a good way, now I guess I am too jaded, but it is a dreadful indictment of VS's culture and philosophy that has led to what is a considerable IT failure that has lead to an even bigger customer relationship management failure. I wonder where the buck actually stops and whether VS will learn ...
#929870 by pblondon
10 Dec 2016, 09:55
My guess is that the go live date was marketing led. They'd done all the promotion about the Flying Club changes coming in on the 13th November, weren't ready to go live on the 13th but then did anyway.......

Those of us on this forum are also probably more sensitive to the issues than most. We're frequent Virgin flyers who know the booking process and flying club inside out so notice every issue and it seems that many of us work in IT! So even though it is a complete mess the vast majority of Virgins customers probably won't have noticed.
#929873 by MrsB
10 Dec 2016, 13:18
My miles for my flight taken on 17th November have eventually posted on my account today. However, the return leg on the 21st November has yet to appear! But at least some progress....
#929876 by Sealink
10 Dec 2016, 16:44
Have been notified of a schedule change:

FROM: DL 2112 Atlanta (ATL), US to Chicago-Ohare (ORD), US
Depart 19:10 Arrive 20:17
Duration 2hr 7m
First Class

TO: DL 2112
Atlanta (ATL), US to Chicago-Ohare (ORD), US
Depart 19:10 Arrive 20:17
Duration 2hr 7m
First Class

Clicking "ACCEPT" doesn't do anything, surprisingly enough, via Safari (an increasingly useless browser) or Chrome.
#929877 by Martin
10 Dec 2016, 18:04
MrsB wrote:My miles for my flight taken on 17th November have eventually posted on my account today. However, the return leg on the 21st November has yet to appear! But at least some progress....

My miles and TP for a flight back from DXB on 19th Nov arrived today, but like you MrsB, no sign of the return on 25th. They are clearly doing them day by day. I'm sure they will catch up by mid February 2017.

If only they knew how to operate a computer, this could all be automated :D :D :D
#929881 by evanspa1
10 Dec 2016, 22:42
Interestingly my flights on 9th and 11th November have not posted, but my flight from 20th November has. I just hope they will fill in the blanks properly at some point!
#929884 by stuart_f
10 Dec 2016, 23:38
Martin wrote:The missing miles link is worse than useless. It won't accept a Virgin eticket number in any form.

When I click on help it says: "Ticket Number is printed in your ticket. Ex. 0062142513155" . According to this page http://www.kovrik.com/sib/travel/airline-codes.txt anything starting 006 is a Delta ticket code.

Mine starts with 932 which is the Virgin Atlantic Airways code and is instantly rejected. It would seem that someone forgot to change the validation rules when they copied the code from the Delta website.

It's clear that this appalling website was not even subjected to the most cursory of test cases.
#929903 by Silver Fox
11 Dec 2016, 14:43
pblondon wrote:My guess is that the go live date was marketing led. They'd done all the promotion about the Flying Club changes coming in on the 13th November, weren't ready to go live on the 13th but then did anyway.......

Those of us on this forum are also probably more sensitive to the issues than most. We're frequent Virgin flyers who know the booking process and flying club inside out so notice every issue and it seems that many of us work in IT! So even though it is a complete mess the vast majority of Virgins customers probably won't have noticed.

We are probably more sensittive to it than most for sure. However, the fact that they have had to co-opt extra staff from all over VS to man the phones, and from other call centres (Delta) and countries, and the wait times are excessive with plenty of "hang ups", shows that this really is, in terms of website rollouts an unmitigated disaster.
#930004 by spacedog
13 Dec 2016, 21:31
A quick question: is there a way to see when your Gold membership expires? I have flights booked for January, March and a strong potential for a May booking, which should take me over the 1,000 TP threshold. I'm just a bit worried about the new fixed membership renewal period as, if I remember correctly, my membership ends at the end of May and I'm concerned it might now be put back to May 1st. I can't find this detail anywhere on the website. I need to know if I need to earn the 50 TP I'll be short to renew another way. I might be able to do a cheap LAX-SFO run for about £88 in one day to make up the numbers during our trip in March.

Also, as a heads up, when shopping with Shops Away earlier I got logged out of my account even though I clicked the "keep me logged in" button, so I might miss out on about 600 airmiles from a Heathrow parking booking as a result. Just to say make your purchases swiftly to avoid it happening to you. I tried to make a purchase through John Lewis and one through Heathrow parking one after the other and it seems like I was logged out after a very short period of time.
Last edited by spacedog on 13 Dec 2016, 22:36, edited 1 time in total.
#930006 by NorthernLad
13 Dec 2016, 22:10
I have followed the disaster (not too strong a word) of the new website, and for the past week have been checking for Oct 2017.
Tonight I used the ita site to quickly check and up comes Delta at £1200 each less than Virgin - I check on Delta site and yes its correct.
Actually I was feeling guilty about going to book with Delta so I put the same entries in Virgin and the message is basically : 'We cant do that - Please try other flights'. This route is something we have done several times before.

My conscience is (almost) at rest- I booked with Delta; Virgin out/Internal Delta/Virgin Back.
Saved our security details - all set.
#930011 by locutus
14 Dec 2016, 09:49
I booked a reward ticket and it kept my FC number attached, so that's a first. It's always deleted it and I've had to add it manually before.

Very poor booking engine though.
Virgin Atlantic