This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#931217 by lorelai
11 Jan 2017, 23:14
Hello all

Sorry to bother you but I really need some clarification. I'm looking at a flight from Orlando to Manchester and its showing no direct flights in upper for the date I want but it says there is a flight via Atlanta which is flight VS110 but it says it is operated by Delta. My query is is this my phone doing terrible internet searching and this is actually a virgin plane or is it actually a delta plane. Any help you can offer would be great!

Many thanks

Lorelai
#931218 by mitchja
12 Jan 2017, 00:03
The VS110 is the Atlanta to Manchester service which is operated by Virgin Atlantic using a Virgin Atlantic A330 aircraft. VS took over this route from Delta last year.
#931219 by TimCrawley
12 Jan 2017, 00:06
Hi Lorelai,

As Mitchja (James) said, this would be a codeshare flight with Delta but is operated by Virgin Atlantic using Virgin Atlantic aircraft.

Just to add that if you have a look on the V-Flyer website itself you will see that Pete and the team have provided a handy tool showing which aircraft has been used on a particular route - simply choose VS110 from the dropdown menu and you'll see which aircraft have been used recently toolbox_which_aircraft.php

Thanks,
Tim
#931221 by mitchja
12 Jan 2017, 00:29
Absolutely no need for any appologies :) as there's no such thing as a silly question around here.......well ok, maybe just one, the 'when will the VS website get fixed?' question!!!! ;-) :-P
#931224 by Vegascrazy
12 Jan 2017, 09:08
The only odd thing though is that I thought "operated by" usually signifies the actual metal that flight will use. For example I'm on VS4045 to ATL but the flight is "operated by" Delta. Yes the OP's flight here is definitely VS metal but why would his search result say operated by Delta, perhaps just a glitch?
#931225 by gumshoe
12 Jan 2017, 10:12
It's easy to work out whether a flight is operated by VS or as a codeshare.

If the VS flight number is 1, 2 or 3 digits it's operated by VS. If it's 4 digits it's a codeshare.
#931227 by lorelai
12 Jan 2017, 12:35
Well, if I had been more patient and tried it on my computer I would have seen the breakdown (the first flight being Delta, but then the next one being Virgin), I don't know why my phone was being so useless.

Just another query if you don't mind, does anyone have any experience of changing flights in Atlanta from MCO? There are a number of options (3 hour layover, 2 hour layover, 57 minute layover), I would assume the 57 minute one is cutting it fine, and I am tempted to go for the 3 hour layover just so that my nerves aren't entirely shot, what would anyone else suggest? I've never done a connecting flight before!

Thank you very much

Lorelai
#931233 by gumshoe
12 Jan 2017, 13:25
ATL is pretty easy to get around - there's an underground transit connecting all the piers. It's Delta's main hub and is designed for easy connections.

Having said that with any connection involving international flights in the US I'd err on the side of caution and allow 3 hours. ATL isn't a bad airport to wait around in and if you're entitled to lounge access the SkyClub's ok.

There's no way I'd trust a 57 minute connection and even 2 hours is pushing it if DL cancel the MCO flight or it's late. Better safe than sorry - your nerves will thank you for it!
#931240 by tontybear
12 Jan 2017, 14:22
I had a scheduled 55 minute connection at ATL and whilst it was tight I certainly wasn't the last to board. It is perfectly feasible for flights like yours returning to the UK from a US domestic flight.

No time to dawdle though! And yes the luggage made it too.
#931362 by lorelai
14 Jan 2017, 11:02
Well we have booked and on the way from ATL to MAN it was 1-1-1 so am I right in thinking it looks like we should be expecting a refurbished a330? Exciting! Have a good weekend all :-)
#931364 by tontybear
14 Jan 2017, 12:03
Depends when you fly.

The refit programme has barely started and it will take a little while for all the A330s to be done so at the moment VS are restricting the seat map to show a 1-1-1 layout so on the day it could turn into a 1-2-1 layout.
#931365 by mitchja
14 Jan 2017, 12:51
I believe all future A333 flights in current bookings are now only showing the new 1-1-1 J config. I presume it's so VS don't end up massively over-selling the J cabin should a new config A/C end up opp'ing that flight.

It's easier doing it that way rather than having to re-accomodate the 8 or so pax that would end up without a seat if they sell the flight with the old 1-2-1 config which has more seats.

My MAN>JFK flights in May both show the same config.
#934180 by lorelai
07 Apr 2017, 13:53
Hello. Apologies for reigniting an old thread of mine, but we are due to take this trip next week. I messaged VS on facebook earlier regarding the procedure for when we get off the plane from MCO in ATL in order to connect to the MAN flight, and they responded to me saying 'If your flights are all booked on the same ticket then your luggage should be through checked all the way to Manchester, you'll just need to go through transfers'. Not that I am suggesting that they are lying or wrong, but I thought I had read that you had to pick your luggage up and then re-check it if connecting in ATL, can someone just clarify this for me? Thank you very much, and really looking forward to the trip and reporting back!
#934181 by tontybear
07 Apr 2017, 14:03
This is an issue that often confuses but VS are correct.

You only pick up your luggage - even if it tagged through - and re-drop when you arrive into the US as you need to clear US customs at your port of entry.

As you are leaving the US the bags go straight through.
#934185 by horburyflyer
07 Apr 2017, 15:41
cheesebag wrote:Im in Cancun the next two weeks but have to pop back for a Funeral, Via Atlanta. my Friday flight back to Atlanta is defiantly a Delta 772

Indeed DL are operating the MAN-ATL route on selected dates this month using a 772.
#934194 by David1946
08 Apr 2017, 07:21
Notice this mornings Atl-Man is DL156 using a Delta 772. The VS aircraft G-GBR transferred from Atl to MCO and is on VS76. This might help move some of the passengers who missed Wednesday's VS110 because of the bad weather. We were on it and we had only 61 passengers and 12 crew. No problem with meal choice!!!!
Virgin Atlantic