This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#931229 by Sealink
12 Jan 2017, 12:57
I booked return flights LHR-ATL-ORD way back in November during a mystery sale.
It didn't seem to be openly advertised, but Head for Points picked it up - £1096 rtn in Upper/DL First.

Booked, hotel arranged and I am happy. Here's my itinerary:

12 APR LHR - ATL 1150/1620 VS 115
12 APR ATL - ORD 1910/2017 VS 4572
17 APR ORD - ATL 1645/1944 VS 3291
17 APR ATL - ORD 2040/1000 VS 116

Jump forward two days and I have the mad idea of booking my friend on the same flight.
Alas, the VS website doesn't work properly and in fact, doesn't even show any flights via Atlanta to Chicago.
But, DL does. So I book my friend on the following flights:

12 APR LHR - ATL 1150/1620 DL4356 Operated by VS as VS115
12 APR ALT - ORD 1910/2017 DL 2112
17 APR ORD - ATL 1645/1944 DL 1410
17 APR ATL - LHR 2040/1000 DL 4357 Operated by VS as VS 116

This flight is double the cost of mine, but we are on the same flight, we have adjacent seats reserved throughout, what could possibly go wrong?

Well, lots of things, so I call Virgin and Delta to ensure that our bookings are cross-referenced and they know we are travelling together... both airlines reassure me that they can see both bookings linked.

So, one evening innocently checking my booking, I notice that my flight from ATL to ORD has been rescheduled.
My flight is now

11 APR LHR - ATL 1150/1620 VS 115
11 APR ATL - ORD 2030/2335 DL1812

After a 35-minute phone call (30 minutes on hold) they persuade DL to put me back on the original flight.
VS explain that DL want the earlier flight for higher revenue passengers.
A week later, I am back on the late arrival in Chicago.
Another 40-minute phone call (35 minutes on hold) and I am back on the original flight.
I am a little nervous that it's not a VS flight number but what's the worst that can happen?
DL reject Virgins attempts to get me back on the original flight, as the wrong fare class has been booked.

Now remember, this is not be requesting something special, other than to be on the flight I originally booked, which is still on sale on the Delta website.

I contact VS on Twitter who tell me to call VS. Again, I am on hold and actually have to hang up.

Perhaps DL can help?
Yes, they can, and in fact, sort both flights for me.
We are now back on the same flight, traveling together, and it just took contacting DL on Facebook messenger.

Peace reigns supreme.

Until DL decide to schedule change my friend's flight home.

It is now:

17 APR ORD - JFK 1825/2144 DL 3631
17 APR JFK - LHR 2230/1040 DL 403

So we are now on different flights.

Now, I call DL and explain the situation.
They wring their hands and say sorry, there's nothing we can do, we don't have permission to book people on the VS 116. Despite my friend originally being booked and ticketed on this flight.
I call VS and explain the situation.
They wring their hands and say sorry, there's nothing we can do, we don't have permission to book people on the DL 403. Which I don't really want anyway.

So here we are, two bookings, originally on identical flights, ruined and we can't travel home together.

So, in some respects, kudos to DL for sorting out my friend's flight (in the worst way ever), as all the had to do was move us on to an earlier flight from Atlanta to Chicago.

Incidentally, apart from me logging in to my booking, I have had no pro-active communication at all from VS about schedule changes impacting my flight Here's what my booking looks like, on the Virgin website:

12 APR ATL-ORD 1910/2017 DL 2112 Flight 1 of 6
12 APR ATL-ORD 1910/2017 DL 2112 Flight 2 of 6
12 APR LHR - ATL 1100/1530 VS 115 Flight 3 of 6
17 APR ORD - ATL 1600/1902 DL1612 Flight 4 of 6
17 APR ORD - ATL 1645/1944 DL 1410 Flight 5 of 6
17 APR ATL - LHR 1925/0845 VS 116 Flight 6 of 6

What a mess, eh?

I have booked Las Vegas in July in BA First, because VS doesn't fly on Mondays.
For my next trip to Boston, in June time, I may as well stick to BA for that too.
#931230 by marshy11
12 Jan 2017, 13:15
What an awful set of incidents. I do feel for you and it's incredibly frustrating when no-one takes ownership. I do share your sentiments and although BA aren't faultless by any means, I am finding myself in the situation of only considering BA, or any airline - other than VS.
#931231 by gumshoe
12 Jan 2017, 13:20
Rubbish.

However I would refer you to Flyertalk for almost daily complaints about the apparent decline in standards on BA F.

The grass isn't necessarily greener ...
#931232 by Sealink
12 Jan 2017, 13:21
gumshoe wrote:Rubbish.

However I would refer you to Flyertalk for almost daily complaints about the apparent decline in standards on BA F.

I've tried it and loved it. Although could take or leave the BA Concorde Room.
#931273 by Hev60
13 Jan 2017, 00:40

That's not very nice, surely this forum is the place where we respect each other's opinion even if it differs from our own :-(

I said in another post back on 22nd November and I repeat my thoughts again "Flytalk = a place where BA haters rant & let off steam. Not monitored like on v-flyer. I went on there once and posted a very positive feedback about a basic BA economy flight I took from LHR -JFK. Honestly I received so many totally negative responses. Nasty forum."

I have recently returned from a trip to New York travelling BA economy. No problems, issues or hiccups from the moment we booked our flights on-line. Checkin was a breeze, the flight and cabin crew very professional and the same positiveness was experienced on our return.

Virgin Atlantic still have not issued me with a correct e-ticket for the flights we booked in July 2017. It's a joke.
I have no hesitation in giving my confidence to BA, Virgin Atlantic are causing me distress and spoiling the build up to our holiday in a few weeks time.
#931274 by mikethe3rd
13 Jan 2017, 01:14
Hev60 wrote:That's not very nice, surely this forum is the place where we respect each other's opinion even if it differs from our own :-(

?

I believe gumshoe was referencing Sealink's situation as 'rubbish' and then suggested a read of FT to see recent BA F reviews.
#931275 by Bretty
13 Jan 2017, 01:24
That's appalling customer service Sealink, what a complete mess. I do hope lurkers from Crawley Towers are paying attention as in the last few months I think VS has really suffered because of incompetence. I hope you manage to get this sorted again in time for your flights in April, although I don't hold out much hope.
#931279 by gumshoe
13 Jan 2017, 05:42
mikethe3rd wrote:
Hev60 wrote:That's not very nice, surely this forum is the place where we respect each other's opinion even if it differs from our own :-(

?

I believe gumshoe was referencing Sealink's situation as 'rubbish' and then suggested a read of FT to see recent BA F reviews.

I was. Apologies if that wasn't clear.

While it is certainly true that FT lacks the pleasantness of V-Flyer, I see no reason to question the motives behind the daily "BA is getting worse" threads any more than I question the "Virgin is getting worse" threads here.

The truth is there's a race to the bottom as airlines get caught between investors demanding ever higher returns and passengers demanding ever lower fares while the fall in the pound since the Brexit vote has pushed up their costs.

So something has to give, and it is.
Last edited by gumshoe on 13 Jan 2017, 08:59, edited 1 time in total.
#931280 by slinky09
13 Jan 2017, 08:07
Sadly VS is heading for the bottom in terms of customer service where it was once the leader. Seems to me VS is going through another upheaval similar to say 8-10 years ago when Ridgeway starting messing around, now another round of chasing down a spiral. Not unique to VS of course, but very sad all the same.
#931284 by Silver Fox
13 Jan 2017, 09:43
slinky09 wrote:Sadly VS is heading for the bottom in terms of customer service where it was once the leader. Seems to me VS is going through another upheaval similar to say 8-10 years ago when Ridgeway starting messing around, now another round of chasing down a spiral. Not unique to VS of course, but very sad all the same.

Yup. This management ethos (not limited to either VS or the airline industry) of the race to the bottom and constant "we must reduce costs to stay competitive" is getting really old and stale now.
#931292 by Hev60
13 Jan 2017, 11:16
gumshoe wrote:
mikethe3rd wrote:

?

I was. Apologies if that wasn't clear

:-) Yes sorry I did misread your comment. It's just you posted back straight after what Marshy wrote and it seemed you was commenting on what she wrote ;-)

Agree the situation that Sealink has is awful and typifies that the words Customer Care are a concept of the past but that applies to life these days, sadly no matter what crap service we have to put up with.
#931363 by Vegascrazy
14 Jan 2017, 11:31
Hev60 wrote:

Virgin Atlantic still have not issued me with a correct e-ticket for the flights we booked in July 2017. It's a joke.
I have no hesitation in giving my confidence to BA, Virgin Atlantic are causing me distress and spoiling the build up to our holiday in a few weeks time.

I'm in the same boat Hev60, no eticket despite many promises from FC and also via their team on the FB page. The email they did send me eventually, although it said "eticket", and listed the flights, stated an entirely different price that that I'd been charged for the ticket. I'm accepting now I'll probably never receive any close to the etickets they used to send (pre web site changes) which correlated exactly with the price paid, listing all the taxes & surcharges clearly.
#931368 by Hev60
14 Jan 2017, 15:35
Vegascrazy wrote:
I'm in the same boat Hev60, no eticket despite many promises from FC and also via their team on the FB page. The email they did send me eventually, although it said "eticket", and listed the flights, stated an entirely different price that that I'd been charged for the ticket. I'm accepting now I'll probably never receive any close to the etickets they used to send (pre web site changes) which correlated exactly with the price paid, listing all the taxes & surcharges clearly.

I finally received an email yesterday saying "your booking was updated and successfully with the changes below" (yes that was the way it was written, rubbish English grammar!!!) There is a link to view the revised e-ticket. Guess what the link doesn't work >-(

However the booking confirmation details have changed in so much as we have different e-ticket numbers against our names but like yourself, the other details are utter cobbledygook. The mileage for the reward flights is wrong, as is the amount we paid them back in June when we booked outbound PE & UC back. The only saving grace for us is that the tax difference between the PE and UC is now less than it was back in July when I originally made the upgrade, in fact significantly different :-D

I will now keep my fingers crossed that OLCI and then drive through on departure day, actually works.... what this space.

Once again how the Virgin brand has let me down, sad :-( Hev
#931371 by Sealink
14 Jan 2017, 16:39
Delta told me that the bookings were never linked, so my friends schedule change was actioned by Delta in good faith.

I tend to believe DL as they have indeed reprotected my friend, VS have yet to contact me to say my connection is impossible.
Virgin Atlantic