This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#931650 by Bombardier
22 Jan 2017, 13:03
Due to various reasons, not just the disappointing last flight with Virgin I've decided to longer take my biannual holidays out to the Caribbean.
Therefore I've just over 50 thousand flying club miles that I'll never use and I'm lead to believe that I can gift these.
Anybody that's interested let me know and I'll arrange to have them transferred.
Pity I can't gift my tier points as well.
#931652 by chocksaway
22 Jan 2017, 13:21
I would love to have them as they would be greatly appreciated for visiting my family who emigrated years ago. BUT I am sure there is someone who's need is far greater than mine.
#931653 by oldboy
22 Jan 2017, 13:33
I would love them & happily make an agreed donation to a charity of your choice

oldboy
Last edited by oldboy on 22 Jan 2017, 13:38, edited 1 time in total.
#931656 by Bombardier
22 Jan 2017, 13:47
That's very kind Oldboy, I'm out at the moment and on my iPhone but as soon as I get home I'll PM you from my desktop and sort out some details and how I need to go about transferring them.
#931662 by Nottingham Nick
22 Jan 2017, 13:58
I greatly admire the benevolence of the OP - BUT - Please be aware that 'gifting' points is not the simple process one may imagine.

To gift 50K points to another member - there will be a fee of £375.00 plus and admin fee of £15.

Whilst this is cheaper than buying 50K points for £750.00, it isn't a freebie.

Nick
#931680 by Bombardier
22 Jan 2017, 16:06
Nottingham Nick wrote:I greatly admire the benevolence of the OP - BUT - Please be aware that 'gifting' points is not the simple process one may imagine.

To gift 50K points to another member - there will be a fee of £375.00 plus and admin fee of £15.

Whilst this is cheaper than buying 50K points for £750.00, it isn't a freebie.

Nick

Really?
I'm astounded by this!
#931681 by NYLON
22 Jan 2017, 16:25
There is another way involving no fees, if Oldboy (or anyone else) happens to be FC Gold.

Bombardier, if you change the address on your FC account to Oldboy's, Oldboy can then set up a household account (you will need to give Oldboy your FC number) and immediately transfer the entire mileage of your FC account over at the time of setting up the account. Gratis.

I'll leave others discuss the the ethics of this manoeuvre!
#931684 by Kraken
22 Jan 2017, 18:10
The easiest option - that will arouse zero suspicion - is for Bombardier just to book a reward flight for the beneficiary of the miles and arrange, in private, recompense for the taxes/fees/charges & any donation [charitable or otherwise] for the miles. You can book a flight for anyone using your FC miles, no questions asked.

US airlines (& to a lesser extent, BA & VS) have revenue protection departments who set out to detect sold miles, hidden city ticketing, boomerangs with last legs dropped etc & suspend mileage accounts / deduct miles when they find rules being broken. Never put miles on eBay - this is just waving a red rag to the bull.

That said, many high miles earners who will never spend anything like the miles they earn do actively allow "authorised users" on their account to spend their miles - doubtless in return for some private recompense arrangement.
Virgin Atlantic