This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#931758 by NorthernLad
23 Jan 2017, 18:46
Hi Everyone,
Hope your wisdom can solve this one:

In May 2016 we booked with Virgin Atlantic on a single PNR for March 2017
Out VS MAN>MCO;
Return DL SRQ>ATL; ATL>MAN
The VS are reward flights, the Delta is paid.

The Delta flight number/timing has changed (so far) as follows:
May DL2406 1352-15.34 Booked to allow plenty of time in ATL no concerns about delays for MAN Flt at 19.10
June DL1297 15.05-16.46 Email from Delta - OK thats still fine
Sept DL2934 15.05-16.46 Email from Virgin - Still OK just Flt No.
Nov DL2019 15.05-16.46 Email from Virgin - Still OK (Scratching head at this point!)
Jan DL2272 15.29-17.10 Happened to look at booking - No emails - Now down to 2 Hours Layover.

So if I click yes and 'accept change' how does that affect my rights if Delta fail to get me there in time for VS to Manchester.

With 2 hours I know it 'should be OK' but when I booked I was cautious with choosing a 3hrs 25mins layover and' I knew I would be OK'
I suppose I have an option to contact FC and get on the earlier 13.25-15.05 but would prefer not to.
If VS or DL is responsible and looks after my comforts we could always have a day in Atlanta - the most we have seen so far is the History of Atlanta Pictorial Story on the leisurely walk we take between terminals - beacause we have plenty of time and excercise is good for you!

Whats the feelings?
#931759 by gumshoe
23 Jan 2017, 19:04
If it's all on one PNR you're protected so nothing to worry about. And 2 hours should be fine, ATL is one of the better US airports for connections.

I'm afraid constant flight number & schedule changes are the price you pay for booking a US internal flight 10 months out.
#931764 by tontybear
23 Jan 2017, 19:45
DL will protect you onto the next available flight back to MAN (or alternative route). Note available not next flight.

Depending on the cause of the delay you may have to find your own hotel room if an over night stay is required so make sure your travel insurance is up to date and covers this sort of thing.

Re the Jan change when did this happen? It can take other airline systems time to catch up with others changes to send the e-mail.

Airlines in the US are notorious for regularly changing times and flight numbers even changing flight numbers even when the time stays the same. DL do theirs on a Saturday.

TBH you are likely to have even more schedule changes so I wouldn't worry too much if there are more. The closer to flight date the less likely there will be planned changes.

As to changing your flight at the moment as your connection exceeds the ATL MCT they are unlikely to give you a free flight change.

ATL is a popular topic of conversation at the moment!
#931772 by markyl
23 Jan 2017, 22:07
We have suffered the re schedule issue at ATL For our flights in April 2017

On our return we are MCO - ATL then ATL - LHR the gap at ATL from is now down to 1 hour 12 min

VS will not put us on an earlier DL flight as we meet the minimum connection time for the airport.

I lost the will to live trying to argue that flying with three kids the youngest aged 8 I would prefer the comfort of a bit more time - it was three hours when we booked but they brought the VS flight forward.

A case of the computer says no won out. >-(
#931773 by gumshoe
23 Jan 2017, 22:15
The US "hub and spoke" system is designed around short connections, and ATL was designed to facilitate them. Americans think nothing of them, and just accept that if something goes wrong they'll be put on the next flight.
#931775 by Hev60
23 Jan 2017, 23:12
gumshoe wrote:I'm afraid constant flight number & schedule changes are the price you pay for booking a US internal flight 10 months out.

Absolutely. In 2008 we flew on Delta first class from LasVegas to Fort Myers with a plane & terminal change in Atlanta.

Initially there was plenty of time for the connection. Over a period of eight months leading up to our departure from LAS, Delta changed one or other flight timings eleven times. Each time we had to accept the change and then had to re-book our seats requests. In those days it had to be done by telphone :-O

We ended up with just over an hour to transfer from one terminal to the next but then the plane was delayed at LAS. It was a real Olympic sprint to do with two kids, two buggies & hand luggage. We did make it but it was stressful. However Delta said they would have put us on the next available flight had we missed the connection! Oh yes and they managed to loose one of our bags at Altanta and it failed to arrive with us at RSW. Amazingly they tracked it down and it was delivered to our villa in Naples at 10pm that night.

I note your return to Atlanta is from Sarasota. We flew from there last March. Lovely small 'User friendly' airport but delays are very common as the other three major Florida airports get priority airspace. However we was travelling up to JFK and that is problematic in itself.

Enjoy and look forward to your holiday (not long to wait now) :cool:
#931777 by biscuit22
23 Jan 2017, 23:30
I got an email regarding re schedule for my trip to msy via Atlanta and I made sure I had 3hrs layover inbound, but due to Virgin changing the times, only left me with 1 hour 40 mins !!!! I was not really happy.
So I called Virgin and they changed my inbound delta flight from msy to a earlier time in order for me to have the 3hr layover.
So Markyl , if you have not already, give Virgin another call, you never know who you get. :-)
#931789 by NorthernLad
24 Jan 2017, 13:41
Thanks for your experiences everyone.
Tontybear - I dont know when the latest change happened because I was not notified - just happened to check
VS MyBooking.
Many years ago I recall running for plane in IAD along with about 30 others from our inbound TATL flight - It had left the gate but because there so many of us they brought it back again!
I vowed never to do that again so have always given plenty of time for layovers - but they seem determined to up the pressure for their 'guests' by reducing the connection time.
Markyl - If you decide to have another go and suceed please let us know
Thanks again!
Virgin Atlantic