This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#931822 by gumshoe
25 Jan 2017, 08:10
Firstly, many apologies if the photos appear the wrong way round. They're fine on an iPad/iPhone but apparently not on other devices.

Anyway, good morning from the brand new Clubhouse at Gatwick North where the very welcoming staff were thrilled that I was their very first customer!

Unlike a certain other airline, everything is up and running on schedule so I'll be posting lots of pictures to give you an idea of what it's like.

First, check-in. It's in Zone A, to the far left of the terminal where BA were until last night. These are the main desks - sadly the very swish UC check-in area we had in South seems to have been "enhanced". UC just uses normal (but dedicated) desks now.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (104.02 KiB) Viewed 9986 times

The self check-in area looks good.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (119.18 KiB) Viewed 9986 times
Last edited by gumshoe on 25 Jan 2017, 10:07, edited 2 times in total.
#931823 by gumshoe
25 Jan 2017, 08:26
Once you've checked in you walk back across the terminal to the new security area which, like South, is very efficiently run with much friendlier staff than at LHR. Fast-track security is on the left.

They haven't yet opened the new duty free store you'll be forced to walk through on exiting security, so for now you use a (rather shabby) exit at the far right corner of the hall.

Then, bear left and walk the entire length of departures towards gates 46-55. The entrance to the lounge complex is on the right soon after WHSmith. Sadly there is no short cut as there was at South.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (84.4 KiB) Viewed 9966 times

The Clubhouse and V-Room are one floor up, on Level 4, where the BA lounges used to be. The stairs are a bit hidden away, on the left just before the entrance to the No.1 Lounge. Look for this sign:

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (108.26 KiB) Viewed 9966 times
#931824 by hiljil
25 Jan 2017, 08:26
First of all - congratulations on being the first passenger to enter the new CH.

Then, thank you for being our eyes & ears this morning !!
Enjoy the new CH & have a great flight. :-D
#931826 by gumshoe
25 Jan 2017, 08:30
At the top of the stairs, follow the signs!

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (44.82 KiB) Viewed 9958 times

Then, turn right for the V-Room (closed but it was before 6.30!) and left for the Clubhouse, which is in the space formerly occupied by the BA Club lounge.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (85.27 KiB) Viewed 9958 times
#931832 by gumshoe
25 Jan 2017, 08:55
Here are the menus. Nothing new food-wise that I can see (still no deli counter :-( ) but they have a new cocktail menu in association with White Lyan in Hoxton.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (82.17 KiB) Viewed 9914 times

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (74.33 KiB) Viewed 9914 times

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (82.32 KiB) Viewed 9914 times
#931835 by David
25 Jan 2017, 09:19
Looks excellent ( anyone know why the pics are the correct way up on an ipad but on their side on a pc ?)

They seem to have made a really nice job, plenty of space and looks like a few new bits - the pool table. Any other new toys ?

Wonder how much "confusion" will be caused will be cause having the entrances next to each other - guess that might keep the ladies on the front desk busy ;-)

Enjoy your travels, and many thanks for the first look

David
#931837 by gumshoe
25 Jan 2017, 09:24
And finally - for now - the view.

Well it would be amazing but for a pea-souper this morning! You can just about make out a couple of A330s through the haze!

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (86.67 KiB) Viewed 9837 times

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (89.75 KiB) Viewed 9837 times

So: thoughts.

It's a very nice stylish space with great views over the apron and the same friendly service we've come to expect at LGW. Several different zones, as with most Clubhouses, including big open areas for groups & families and smaller, more private nooks for couples.

But it's very much evolution not revolution - the facilities are pretty much identical to the old Clubhouse (with the addition of a pool table). And there aren't nearly enough power sockets which in 2017 is a bit of a fail (I've fed that back).

Plenty of space this morning, with only 3 flights operating, but I think it'll be tight when there are 7.

All in all though, a great place to while away an hour or four, as you would expect from VS, and a strong addition to the Clubhouse portfolio.

Any questions - please ask, my flight's not until 11.40 so lots of time!
Last edited by gumshoe on 25 Jan 2017, 09:27, edited 1 time in total.
#931838 by joeyc
25 Jan 2017, 09:25
David wrote:Looks excellent ( anyone know why the pics are the correct way up on an ipad but on their side on a pc ?)

Yep, I am seeing that too :-O

David wrote:Wonder how much "confusion" will be caused will be cause having the entrances next to each other - guess that might keep the ladies on the front desk busy ;-)

Ha ha ha, yes the signage is incredibly confusing :-P

Thanks for the first look pics gumshoe, which services are offered in the spa there? Is there a hairdresser for example?
#931839 by SlimpyJones
25 Jan 2017, 09:27
Many congratulations on being the first one in! I hope you had a souvenir photo :D

The lounge looks excellent, shame there's no haircuts, I was banking on that next Saturday. Guess I'll have to pay for one in a barbers. Oh, the struggle! :P

Thanks so much for the pictures, wonderful effort.
#931840 by gumshoe
25 Jan 2017, 09:30
David wrote:Looks excellent ( anyone know why the pics are the correct way up on an ipad but on their side on a pc ?)

They seem to have made a really nice job, plenty of space and looks like a few new bits - the pool table. Any other new toys ?

Wonder how much "confusion" will be caused will be cause having the entrances next to each other - guess that might keep the ladies on the front desk busy

Oh dear, sorry about the pics, I'm on an iPhone and they look fine.

Yes I'm sure having the two lounges next to each other will lead to confusion (and plenty of blagging attempts!). I thought there might be one shared reception but they're separate. I also thought the washrooms would be shared, as they were with BA, but they're also separate.

No new toys really apart from the pool table. Very much evolution not revolution.
#931841 by gumshoe
25 Jan 2017, 09:34
joeyc wrote:which services are offered in the spa there? Is there a hairdresser for example?

Sadly not Joey. Much the same as before, two chairs as far as I can see. I'm afraid I'm not really a spa person!
#931843 by TimCrawley
25 Jan 2017, 09:38
Great pictures and information, thanks for taking the time to snap, gather & post (perhaps a new breakfast cereal for the CH menu?).

And there aren't nearly enough power sockets which in 2017 is a bit of a fail (I've fed that back).

I did wonder if they would fit the more modern power outlets with standard 3-pin and USB outlets but even if 'old style' it's to be hoped they can boost the number of them in the coming weeks.

Thanks again, enjoy the CH and have a great flight!
#931845 by gumshoe
25 Jan 2017, 09:56
Quick one of the washrooms. 4 ladies', 3 men's and 1 disabled/family. Small, and the basins are very much style over practicality as the water goes everywhere if you're not careful!

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (100.65 KiB) Viewed 9732 times
#931851 by joeyc
25 Jan 2017, 11:16
Have you asked if you could sneak into the V-Room to take a few snaps for that fantastic publication known as V-Flyer :-P ?
Virgin Atlantic