This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#931933 by CHill710
26 Jan 2017, 14:21
For those who have global entry and TSA pre VS are now offering TSA Pre from Jan 26th. :-D
#931935 by CommanderB
26 Jan 2017, 14:47
Glorious news. Even more reason to do US UK Trips with VS over BA.
#931937 by mitchja
26 Jan 2017, 14:55
Fantastic news!!! TSA-Pre is so quick and easy. :-D

More details as just received an email from VS Trade:

From 26 January Virgin Atlantic customers departing US airports can enjoy a smoother airport experience with TSA Pre✓®

We're proud to be the first UK airline to join the TSA Pre✓® programme. Once customers have enrolled in TSA Pre✓ they could skip the long security lines and enjoy a faster, easier security screening process when departing from US airports.

TSA Pre✓ is a US pre-screening initiative that makes risk assessments on customers prior to their arrival at security and the TSA checkpoint, helping to improve their airport experience, while making their travels even more seamless.

Those eligible and selected by the TSA to participate in TSA Pre✓ are directed to a dedicated screening lane (in participating U.S. airports).

Once customers reach the TSA checkpoints and they're eligible for TSA Pre✓, they don't need to remove their shoes, belt, or light jacket and can keep their laptop and compliant liquids in their hand luggage.

#931954 by gumshoe
26 Jan 2017, 17:02
Amazing! I did wonder why it was on my boarding pass ex-LGW yesterday. Looking forward to using it next week in that case.
#931955 by mitchja
26 Jan 2017, 17:10
The only slight fly in the ointment is that TSA Pre isn't available at BOS or EWR, from the VS website:

Not all US airports currently offer TSA Pre✓, including some that Virgin Atlantic fly from. The service isn't available at Boston Logan International Airport or Newark Liberty International Airport.
#931956 by David
26 Jan 2017, 17:23
I'm trying to update my details on the flying club site and its just spinning away at "saving your details"

Anyone else having problems ?

thanks

David
#931957 by Stevieboy
26 Jan 2017, 17:25
mitchja wrote:The only slight fly in the ointment is that TSA Pre isn't available at BOS or EWR, from the VS website:

Not all US airports currently offer TSA Pre✓, including some that Virgin Atlantic fly from. The service isn't available at Boston Logan International Airport or Newark Liberty International Airport.

I got excited until I read this post as I will be flying out of EWR in 3 weeks :-( . On the plus side I will get to use my GE for the first time at JFK.

-Steve
#931958 by mitchja
26 Jan 2017, 17:31
David wrote:I'm trying to update my details on the flying club site and its just spinning away at "saving your details"

thanks

David

From memory, I think you have to put 00 into the 'Redress Number' field as well otherwise it won't save just your Known Traveller Number.

It's works OK here for me, though I also have a redress number too.
#931960 by stevebrass
26 Jan 2017, 17:38
For some reason we had TSA pre on our Virgin America flights last September. Don't know but it is good. :-D
#931967 by locutus
26 Jan 2017, 18:37
David wrote:I'm trying to update my details on the flying club site and its just spinning away at "saving your details"

No issues here, adding my Pass ID to the KTN field.
#931971 by Hamster
26 Jan 2017, 19:50
Great news! (hurry up BA...)

Slightly misleading sentence, those airport have TSA Pre✓ lanes, just not in the terminals VS uses.
#931979 by Lonemorf
26 Jan 2017, 22:43
Doesnt really matter in EWR anyway, as its such a fast line there even when its busy.
Good news though. Shame on my next trip Im travelling with a non GE colleague, and I feel bad buggering off and leaving them..........................
#931989 by Blacky1
27 Jan 2017, 06:30
Lonemorf wrote:Doesnt really matter in EWR anyway, as its such a fast line there even when its busy.
Good news though. Shame on my next trip Im travelling with a non GE colleague, and I feel bad buggering off and leaving them..........................

I wouldn't
#931995 by joeyc
27 Jan 2017, 09:20
Blacky1 wrote:
Lonemorf wrote:Doesnt really matter in EWR anyway, as its such a fast line there even when its busy.

I wouldn't

Would you make them go back to the check-in desks with you to check your hand baggage because it is full of 'essential' liquids too Mr B? :-P

They really could use it at Logan TE - always long security lines and very poorly organised at that.
#931996 by Silver Fox
27 Jan 2017, 10:03
The other good news about this is that the TSA is also tightening up the program a little, I know it is the United website but it gives the salient details: https://www.united.com/web/en-US/conten ... check.aspx

Basically from 27/2 the TSA will significantly reduce access to TSA Pre expedited screening lanes for non-enrolled travelers.
#932052 by daviis
28 Jan 2017, 18:32
For those that already applied for Global Entry how long did you have to wait to get the pre interview confirmation back ?

I've done our UK registration to apply for US Global Entry and that came back in just 24 hours so was just wondering how long the US bit was going to take.

TIA
#932056 by mitchja
28 Jan 2017, 19:12
daviis wrote:For those that already applied for Global Entry how long did you have to wait to get the pre interview confirmation back ?

TIA

My conditional approval took 6 days to come back.
#932740 by Stevieboy
15 Feb 2017, 15:36
Good news from EWR which I used last night. The guy checking boarding passes noted my TSA pre check and handed me a rather large (about 18inch wide) piece of fluorescent orange laminated card with priority screening written on it which had to be handed to the security official by the scanner. This meant I did not have to remove my shoes or belt, not have to remove liquids from my bag and not have to enter the body scanner :-)

-Steve
#932741 by mitchja
15 Feb 2017, 16:03
Not sure if TSA-Pre is the same as Global Entry, in that at airports that don't currently offer the service, you are still supposed to get a 'priority' service?

For those that have it, TSA-Pre will always be printed on our boarding pass regardless of the US airport used.

Looks like this is at least the case at EWR.

Anyone experienced BOS with TSA-Pre yet?
#932742 by tontybear
15 Feb 2017, 16:56
GE is different from Pre Check.

GE is for immigration. Pre Check is for departure security.

If you have GE then you will be included in Pre Check though if flying on an eligible carrier.
#932744 by mitchja
15 Feb 2017, 17:19
tontybear wrote:GE is different from Pre Check.

GE is for immigration. Pre Check is for departure security.

If you have GE then you will be included in Pre Check though if flying on an eligible carrier.

I know that, but what I'm trying to say is that at US airports that don't have full Global Entry facilities, Global Entry users get a priority 'head to the front of the standard line' system.

I'm not sure if TSA-Pre is the same, in that at airports not currently offering TSA-Pre (EWR & BOS according to VS) you'd possibly get some form of priority service via the standard TSA lanes when departing on a VS flight and you do have TSA-Pre as it will still be visible on your boarding pass.

From the previous post, it's looks like it could well be the case, at least at EWR.
#932745 by Stevieboy
15 Feb 2017, 17:36
Just to clarify my post, I have GE and as you know TSA pre comes as part of that package. Last night they were offering a similar service to TSA Pre for departing passengers even though it's not an official TSA pre queue. You simply stand in the regular line and when it's your turn to be screen you hand them the Orange card and they then they then allow you the benefits I mentioned above.

Hope that makes sense.

-Steve
#932746 by pblondon
15 Feb 2017, 17:47
I had the same when flying between JFK & MIA at Christmas.

It wasn't busy enough to open a full TSA Pre lane but they gave me a card which meant I didn't have to remove liquids etc in the normal queue.
Virgin Atlantic