This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#932190 by jh71283
02 Feb 2017, 09:58
Hi all.

I was wondering if anyone can give me an idea on immigration delays at ATL?

I'm arriving on VS109 on a Thursday, and my connecting flight leaves for MCO 1h50m later.

Is that enough time? I'm worried that VS's system is overly optimistic, and the plane will leave and my group is still standing in the immigration hall!

I also understand that we need to collect our baggage, and then check it in for the next flight ourselves? Is that correct?

Sorry for all the questions!!
#932194 by SlimpyJones
02 Feb 2017, 12:23
Hi,

1h 50m is a little on the tight side but it is do-able, providing immigration is not heaving and your inbound isn't delayed.

Is your trip to MCO part of the same ticket? If so, the worst case scenario of you missing your connection will result in you being put on the next available flight. So you needn't worry about not making it to Orlando. :)

And yes you're correct. Once you pass through immigration you'll arrive at the luggage carousels, you'll need to grab your bag and pass through customs. Once you go through the doors, turn left and you'll get the baggage re-check. Dump your bags with them, pass through security again and you can head to your gate for MCO.

Hope that makes sense!
#932224 by vic110
02 Feb 2017, 21:41
We've done this connection twice in the past year and had very different experiences. The first time we only just made our connection and that was because it was delayed. It took us 1.5 hrs to clear immigration and then ages to go through security. The next time we made sure we had a longer connection time and we were through immigration in 10 minutes and ended up waiting around for ages. I think immigration is better since they put in the new machines.
It's very easy to get around the airport on the train which runs between the terminals.
#941081 by chocksaway
22 Jan 2018, 17:01
Hi, sorry to bring this post up again, but I’m starting to panic!

My son has booked his flight to Nashville via ATL from MAN, with a very tight connection. Booked with Virgin, all on one ticket. He will be in upper on an i class.
I thought that if you missed your flight you would be put on the next available flight. (I’m not worried about that, even if it means overnighting, as we have family in Atlanta). When I went to book my husbands ticket , I asked about tight connections and she said he wouldn’t be put on the next flight & the rest of his flights would be voided!!! She said if the plane was on time & you got caught up in immigration/customs, basically you were stuffed and quoted “Virgin dont know whether or not, you are having a cup of coffee with friends or gone shopping”!!!!!!!!!!!!
1st flight vs. 2nd flight delta

Has anyone had this happen to them & do they just put you on the next available flight with a seat?

Chocksaway.
#941096 by horburyflyer
22 Jan 2018, 22:29
chocksaway wrote:Hi, sorry to bring this post up again, but I’m starting to panic!

My son has booked his flight to Nashville via ATL from MAN, with a very tight connection. Booked with Virgin, all on one ticket. He will be in upper on an i class.
I thought that if you missed your flight you would be put on the next available flight. (I’m not worried about that, even if it means overnighting, as we have family in Atlanta). When I went to book my husbands ticket , I asked about tight connections and she said he wouldn’t be put on the next flight & the rest of his flights would be voided!!! She said if the plane was on time & you got caught up in immigration/customs, basically you were stuffed and quoted “Virgin dont know whether or not, you are having a cup of coffee with friends or gone shopping”!!!!!!!!!!!!

Has anyone had this happen to them & do they just put you on the next available flight with a seat?

Chocksaway.

Hi Chocksaway

Please don't worry. I'm through ATL quite regularly coming off the VS109 and usually connecting elsewhere. I've had a few close shaves but I find ATL very very easy to connect through. I have missed a couple of connections due to the late arrival of the VS109 and you'll find when travelling on the same ticket, DL have usually booked you on the later service if they believe you won't make it.

When you exit the baggage area you'll find DL connection desks and I always check with them if I think things are a little tight. They have always been super helpful.

You certainly won't be left all on your own.

Jon
#941123 by spacedog
23 Jan 2018, 18:24
We were on the VS109 last week and were through immigration in less than 15 minutes. I would say from deplaning to luggage collection it took about 20-25 minutes at most. Although I wasn't connecting this time, I have always had decent experiences at ATL with flight connections.
#941149 by Sealink
24 Jan 2018, 14:11
Another example of terrible service from VS call centre. If you are on a through ticket a connection is guaranteed.

The person who mentioned 'you could be having a coffee' clearly need retraining, unless there was more context.
#941154 by chocksaway
24 Jan 2018, 16:08
Thankyou folks for your replies, much appreciated.

My husband & I & two sons (both in late 20”s) all going to Nashville for a family reunion.
I got what I thought was a good deal flying upper (Z) on the way out, economy back so booked it. (With a 2hr 53 min connection time)
No 1 son wanted to fly upper with me so he booked on an (I) fare a week or so later, but couldn’t get the same connection time & opted for a tight 1hr 36 min connection. The guy said he would be fine & would get booked on the next available flight if he missed it. I dont think No1 son asked about being caught up in immigration/customs.

I phoned last weekend for a quote for my husband & No 2 son flying in economy & this time a lady quoted me the prices, which seemed very high compared to flying in upper like me. She then gave a quote for the upper prices & they seemed good, BUT they were with that very tight connection. I then asked her what would happen if they missed the flight. She said that if the plane was late they would be put on the next available flight, I asked what would happen if they were a long time clearing immigration & customs & couldn’t make the connection, that’s when she said the tickets would be void because Virgin dont know whether or not you are having a coffee with friends or gone shopping. She actually said this twice because I queried her. I had the phone on speaker & my son, who used to work in a call centre said she was probably reading from a script!! I didnt book it.

So now I am really worried about No 1 son.

Chocksaway.
#941155 by gumshoe
24 Jan 2018, 16:15
Seriously, don't worry. The US 'hub and spoke' networks rely on connections - often very tight ones - and the airlines deal with thousands of misconnects every day. Americans treat air travel like Europeans treat trains and think nothing of booking itineraries with 30 or 40 minute connections (albeit domestic, so no immigration etc) knowing the airlines are flexible and will just rebook them on the next flight if required.

So if your son misses his connection, whether the incoming flight is late or he gets delayed at immigration, he'll just be put on the next available DL flight.
#941156 by starquake
24 Jan 2018, 16:46
Indeed, delays common in US - and I've never been refused going on next flight - regardless of the carrier on a connection, and have made ridiculous ATL-BNA connections before. Sometimes DL will even hold the flight (though this is rare it has happened).

Worst case, which is unlikely you can't get on a flight same day, you will be accommodated in ATL and put on first available next day. I would stress that if you have a massive delay, it's only a ~4 hour drive in any case - it's not hard, and the roads are nice... and actually you drive past many great places on route (Rocket City, ie Huntsville) and Legendary home of Jack Daniels, Lynchburg, are both en-route. I have personally before driven between the locations on more than one occasion (but I admit I usually took the DL shuttle). LON->BNA was a 3-6 time a year trip for me a few years ago.

Enjoy Nashville, it's a great city, and have a great trip - just don't worry about connections, you will be fine, and they will accommodate you on next flight. A good locals restaurant to try if you are interested would be Smiling Elephant - which is a small Thai place, and Edleys BBQ place - both are excellent.
#941157 by chocksaway
24 Jan 2018, 17:07
Thankyou so much for your reassurances, they have brought “a tear of joy to my eye”!!! I can start to get excited again for my 1st flight in upper! Perhaps open a premature bottle of bubbles! (It’s a shame that I had to stress so much though).

Thankyou starquake for the information on Nashville eateries, I love Thai, I will try them.

Thanks again chocksaway.
#941168 by clarkeysntfc
25 Jan 2018, 18:55
chocksaway wrote:, I asked about tight connections and she said he wouldn’t be put on the next flight & the rest of his flights would be voided!!! She said if the plane was on time & you got caught up in immigration/customs, basically you were stuffed and quoted “Virgin dont know whether or not, you are having a cup of coffee with friends or gone shopping”!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is quite frankly utter bol**cks and I would be sending a complaint in to VS about this agent as they clearly need retraining.
#941177 by Mg7
26 Jan 2018, 05:54
I agree the comments about it being your fault....
Not a well travelled agent... I have done connection in Atlanta to Nashville in 1 hour 50 .
One tip is They we’re selecting single travellers from the long line to use t(e electronic arrivals machines. So my husband and I pretended we were single travellers.. worked a treat. Once you are in the airport they will do what they can to get you on the plane. There are agents around the security gates calling out flight numbers if its getting really tight let them know they will call the gate and let them know where you are.

Have a great trip in Nashville ( my favourite US city)
Virgin Atlantic