This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#932283 by Desperate3
03 Feb 2017, 22:04
Hi

I am new here so hello to everyone. A long time reader who would now really appreciate some help.

My daughter and I wanted to fly out to LA, travel up the coast and eventually fly back from Vancouver. Virgin have booked us on the following

Outbound
Virgin flight from LHR to LAX (PE)

Return
Delta flight from YVR to SEA (economy)
Virgin flight from SEA to LHR (PE)

I have just been advised this evening on Virgin Atlantic live chat that the Virgin PE luggage allowance (2 checked bags) is also applicable to the Delta flight. I asked them to confirm this twice for clarity and they did. However in a prior phone conversation with Virgin I was told the Delta flight would be one free bag with the second at $25 US.

Can anyone shed any light on this for me please?

Thank you
#932289 by SlimpyJones
04 Feb 2017, 04:45
Hello there and welcome! :)

The first rep is correct, you'll be entitled to check 2 bags with Delta in YVR. This is because the Virgin PE flight is the primary carrier and so their baggage policies apply for this trip :)

On a side note, when booking PE with Delta connections, you should receive Delta Comfort+ rather than the standard main cabin seats. Although whether this is important to you for the 100 mile journey, I wouldn't lose sleep over it if you don't get it! :)
#932301 by Desperate3
04 Feb 2017, 10:42
Hi Slimpy

Thank you for the reply and information. I am not that worried about the seat on the Delta flight, merely the baggage allowance.

I am concerned that the way Virgin Atlantic have booked this will be the problem

This is a reward flight booking using a credit card PE upgrade, flights are on hold presently

LHR to LAX- VA reward flight with PE upgrade voucher
YVR to SEA - cash flight (VA say no reward flights available but Delta site shows there are? )
SEA to LHR -VA reward flight with PE upgrade voucher

For some reason VA have put this under two separate booking references, one for the VA reward flights the other for Delta cash flight. Will this cause me problems?

Thanks again
#932304 by chumba
04 Feb 2017, 11:56
Hi i had the exact same problem last year. As it was a reward flight with VS (JFK-LHR)and internal (MCO-JFK) with DL, VS booked it as two seperate bookings, apparently the VS system can't do it any other way.

When i went to check in online with DL it only offered me one free bag and i had to pay for the second one, remember all DL have is one booking for you.

I didn't check in online and rang VS customer service who apologised and said when i arrived at MCO to speak to the VS supervisor who should be able to resolve it. If they couldn't then VS said they would refund the baggage charges DL imposed.

At MCO the VS supervisor took me round to the DL desk and explained to DL it was VS fault and explained the reward ticketing. DL allowed the two bags free of charge and checked them through to LHR with VS.

A happy ending but unfortunately something that had to be done in person and not online.

Hope it works out for you.
#932305 by Desperate3
04 Feb 2017, 12:18
Hi Chumba

Thanks for your reply, sorry to hear about the problems you had and unfortunately this is exactly what I was worried about.

Our further problem is that there don't think there will be a VS supervisor at YVR (Vancouver) when I check in for the Delta flight as it is not a VS destination. I am therefore not sure who could help and be able to explain the problem to the Delta desk.

It's frustrating that the Delta and VS systems are not able to support such flight bookings fully. I'm not sure what to do to resolve this as we need to be on the Delta flight with 2 bags each to make our connection in SEA for return to U.K.
Virgin Atlantic