This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#932482 by 8lakey
09 Feb 2017, 23:14
hi guys we are due to fly to mexico on 29th april and leave a week later, i believe virgin include the departure tax in their prices, how does this work at the airport in cancun when you are due to fly home?, do they know you are with virgin and not charge you or what happens? i've never had to pay a departure tax before so thought i'd best research how it works?

many thanks in advance
#932577 by KeenFlyer
11 Feb 2017, 19:38
We have been taking a annual trip to Cancun with Virgin for the last few years. You don't have to do anything, just check in as normal and go through security. They leave a little card in your passport when you enter the country (make sure you don't loose it!) then at check in for your flight home they stamp it and attach it to your boarding pass. It then gets taken off the boarding pass at the gate.

I think most airlines (apart from Thomson perhaps?) now include the departure tax so not sure what those that don't make you do, presumably pay at check in or go to a desk somewhere, because it has always been included for us I have never asked or noticed!

As a tip it pays to walk fast off the plane as the immigration queue at Cancan can be insane if a couple of US flights or the BA 777 get in at the same time. We always go for seats in the bubble to ensure we are one of the first off. The departure gates are not really suitable for a 747 either and it turns into a massive scrum when they call for upper and premium with the whole of economy trying to get through. Best to get to the gate early and grab a seat near the door to avoid it!

Enjoy Cancun!
#932646 by Lucille
13 Feb 2017, 10:04
We have traveled to Cancun twice in the last 18 months with VA and not had to pay any additional taxes. I believe they are included in the costs of the flights.

As a previous poster said, complete the green immigration form prior to arrival and make sure you do not lose the part the Customs people give back to you - I believe there's a hefty fee/fine if you do lose it and arrive for departure without it.
#932651 by stuart_f
13 Feb 2017, 12:30
One other tip: When you arrive in Cancun and have got your luggage and cleared customs you will head out of the airport through a series of desks manned by some people in matching polo shirts. They are dressed up to look like tourist information but they are salesmen who will try and flog you all manner of activities. You are way better arranging these through your hotel so just say no thanks to avoid the pressure sales routine.
Virgin Atlantic