This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#932517 by Brook100
10 Feb 2017, 16:24
After a "few" rounds of Lanson in the LHR CH while waiting for our delayed JFK flight, it took me a while to notice the ghastly Gardet offered upon boarding tasted different. I put it down to my somewhat compromised tastebuds but then when I checked the menu, lo and behold...

(This is the part where I hope I have posted a photo. In case I've failed to do so, the menu read:

Champagne
Canard Duchêne, Cuvée Leonie
This champagne epitomises the naturally noble style of Maison Canard Duchêne, combining fruit intensity and freshness. A subtle blend of Pinot and Chardonnay it is charecterised by fresh fruit aromas which jostle with brioche notes

)

Sorry if this has been posted before, just wondered if anyone else has had this change on their flights recently.
#932520 by buns
10 Feb 2017, 18:06
I certainly hope this is a permanent change and not just something for Valentines Day :D

It could be that VS are finally responding to "customer demand"

buns
#932521 by sungod
10 Feb 2017, 18:30
my last flight (mid-jan) was still gardet

if they've switched to this it gets my vote, i've had other bubblies from them and they've been quite good, this has a more traditional blend than the gardet which i think is chardonnay-free, should be a bit fresher/sharper
#932555 by Wilbs
11 Feb 2017, 13:19
Just returned from MCO this morning, also had this new champagne taste's much better, also hope this is to stay !

Off topic also managed some extra miles onboard today as upper class bedding was damp/wet when unpacked by the crew, happened to 4 of us onboard so we had to use blankets. Has this happened to anyone else recently?
#932596 by horburyflyer
12 Feb 2017, 01:14
Sadly on the VS109 today it was still Gardet despite the menu suggesting the new offering....just our luck that stocks of Gardet have been sent to Manchester to be used......just like what usually happens when a change occurs to the amenity kits!

Jon
#932616 by NV43
12 Feb 2017, 17:03
'Off topic also managed some extra miles onboard today as upper class bedding was damp/wet when unpacked by the crew, happened to 4 of us onboard so we had to use blankets.'

That is not good.

I had visions of the UC cabin looking like a Hong Kong laundry, with duvets and mattress sheets hung over the bar to dry.

Nothing beats a duvet; how many blankets will we need to ask for to achieve the same effect?

TG and NV
#932620 by dickydotcom
12 Feb 2017, 18:29
chriski wrote:Am I the only one that thinks that any free champagne is nice?

It's not free.
Even a reward ticket has it's costs. All those Tesco points that could have been cashed in. Paying for a black credit card to get double miles. Wasting hours on stupid reward surveys. But hey it's what we do.
Yes you are probably the only one that thinks it's nice.
The last flight I was on that served the G word bubbles I chose the Prosecco and it was excellent.

I have my bottle of Lanson cooling to take to the Hampton LGW in just over a week.

Dick D
#932626 by pjh
12 Feb 2017, 20:19
dickydotcom wrote:
chriski wrote:Yes you are probably the only one that thinks it's nice.

I have always found the Gardet perfectly acceptable, but appreciate I may be in a minority. :)
#932638 by DocRo
13 Feb 2017, 01:11
I agree
Gardet is different and dare I say interesting compared to other Champagne offerings. Just a bit of a shock to the palate when something else is expected. By the fourth glass of so etc etc :cool:
#932671 by getinjonathan
13 Feb 2017, 20:02
What fabulous news. Canard Duchêne is an awesome Champagne.

Incredibly happy to be seeing the back of Gardet. The first time that stuff hit my palette was on the first commercial 787 flight from LHR to BOS and it was the first remark I made to the CSM... I asked him if they'd poured Sparkling from Premium Economy by mistake. I rarely touched the Champagne on flights over the last few years due to most flights not carrying Lanson.

Back to the good old days. :-D
Virgin Atlantic