This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#932609 by gumshoe
12 Feb 2017, 14:08
Depends when the flight is.

When it's still several months away, probably weekly. But when it's less than a month away, every day or two.
#932621 by dickydotcom
12 Feb 2017, 18:37
I usually book 10 months ahead.
I may check the seating a couple of times.
This year they cancelled my flight and initially I couldn't get my favourite 6A&K on the replacement even though they were not taken. A phone call and bit of pleading and sob story got them allocated so I have to admit to checking them more often this year. Usually when someone raises the subject of a seat move I panic and check.
So now you have posed the question I am off to check them again. Did it about a week ago.

Dick D
#932622 by mallin
12 Feb 2017, 19:28
When the NEW!!! IT system was installed it knocked our seat requests off, which were requested 7months previously so every time I put them back in the next time I checked it had de -selected them.

The last few weeks it has left them where they are, but I check very couple of days we fly early April. I do not trust anything on the VS system. Linda
#932629 by ScoobySu
12 Feb 2017, 20:55
I have to admit that I am very :-( and at the moment I am checking at least once a day :-O !

In 2015 we were booked on VS023 outbound and VS042 return. Only by logging onto MMB did I pick up the numerous timing changes on the VS023 and that our VS042 had been cancelled/merged as I could not access the seat map for VS042.

This year we are on VS125 in mid-May, and I am very nervous that this may be cancelled, even more so now there have been the two recent threads on Stop Press 910 and Barnaby100's issues.

The flight appears very lightly booked - from the seat map 7 UC (including hubby & I), 16 PE and 25 EC (I appreciate that EC will be under reporting seeing as not everybody will have paid to select their seat). The returning VS126 from our outbound - if that makes sense - appears even lighter if I make a dummy booking - 8 UC, 10 PE & 18 EC. Here's hoping that EC is much fuller on both the outbound and return!
#932652 by aldojani
13 Feb 2017, 12:40
ScoobySu wrote:I have to admit that I am very :-( and at the moment I am checking at least once a day :-O !

In 2015 we were booked on VS023 outbound and VS042 return. Only by logging onto MMB did I pick up the numerous timing changes on the VS023 and that our VS042 had been cancelled/merged as I could not access the seat map for VS042.

This year we are on VS125 in mid-May, and I am very nervous that this may be cancelled, even more so now there have been the two recent threads on Stop Press 910 and Barnaby100's issues.

The flight appears very lightly booked - from the seat map 7 UC (including hubby & I), 16 PE and 25 EC (I appreciate that EC will be under reporting seeing as not everybody will have paid to select their seat). The returning VS126 from our outbound - if that makes sense - appears even lighter if I make a dummy booking - 8 UC, 10 PE & 18 EC. Here's hoping that EC is much fuller on both the outbound and return!

My recent flight to Orlando showed a half empty EC cabin just 2 days prior to departure, yet on the day it was a full flight.

I imagine a lot of people baulk at having to pay to reserve a specific seat and then just sort them out when OLCI opens or even at the airport on the day of the flight.

A
#932653 by gumshoe
13 Feb 2017, 12:55
Seat maps are never a reliable guide to the load on the day.

Most people don't care where they sit so many won't choose a seat until check-in.

And - on the business-heavy routes in particular - there are a lot of last minute bookings & changes. On top of which unexpected factors like the cancellation of an earlier/later flight, delays to connections or weather disruption can mean a seemingly empty flight suddenly fills up.
Virgin Atlantic