This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#932878 by Vegascrazy
20 Feb 2017, 08:34
I have a return trip sold and ticketed by VS, LHR to ATL and onward to Key West, transatlantic sectors were originally VS metal both ways (UC reward G's) and DL first class domestics (cash paid). All flights on a single ticket/PNR. I always use 17.5K miles each way to book a CDC from home to LHR and back again.

VS have now switched the original outbound VS103 to DL31 (note not codeshare), still all on one ticket sold by VS. I went to book my CDC's and was told that I can absolutely use the UC drive through check-in for the DL flight but would need to call a separate number to book and would not be able to pay with miles, ie. I'd need to book my own transport. VS were happy to book me a reward CDC for the trip home at the end.

Surely to goodness, if I'm on a single through ticket with both the DL31 and VS104 paid for with miles I should be able to use miles for both CDC's? Any thoughts?

Thanks
James
#932883 by nkp85uk
20 Feb 2017, 10:32
Ah that's annoying!
I think you will need to appeal to VS customer relations to make an exception for you since it's an exceptional circumstance - clearly had the flight not been changed you would have been able to do this and it was them that made the change.
Extra annoying thing is that I'm sure that if you had booked the CDC and redeemed your miles prior to the flight change there would have been no issue letting you keep it.
#932885 by SlimpyJones
20 Feb 2017, 10:34
I think "by the rules" the CDC is only available on VS metal flights. However I would call them back and mention that given you were originally booked on the VS103 and the change in flight was instigated by VS they could stretch to allowing a chauffeur car booking with miles on this occasion.

I'm sure a polite reminder of that would swing it in your favour :)
#932920 by Vegascrazy
21 Feb 2017, 09:08
Thanks guys for the replies.
Spoke to the FC team in Crawley, nice lady but she couldn't help. She said that DL staff do not have access to debit VS FC miles and DL themselves administer the CDC's - not VS, even booking the drive though is a separate DL number .

I'm still confused because the ticket is a Virgin issued (932 prefix) ticket and all flights are on one booking. I paid VS not DL. Yet who is accountable for my booking - nobody it would seem.
#932923 by deep_south
21 Feb 2017, 10:23
And this is the problem with code shares - it is advertised as providing customers with more flexibility, but (in my cynical / realistic view) it is simply a way for airlines to say "we ahbve more flights for you to choose from" but then it all falls apart too easily. And there are potential EC261 ramifications that you may be losing if this was on the inbound,, as you would no longer be flying on an EU airline.

You have my sympathy but I don't know what you can do next - maybe ask to transfer to the VS MIA flight and a flight to Key West from there? This is after all a VS issue, and they should at least try to help you...
#932926 by Vegascrazy
21 Feb 2017, 11:39
deep_south wrote:And this is the problem with code shares - it is advertised as providing customers with more flexibility, but (in my cynical / realistic view) it is simply a way for airlines to say "we ahbve more flights for you to choose from" but then it all falls apart too easily. And there are potential EC261 ramifications that you may be losing if this was on the inbound,, as you would no longer be flying on an EU airline.

You have my sympathy but I don't know what you can do next - maybe ask to transfer to the VS MIA flight and a flight to Key West from there? This is after all a VS issue, and they should at least try to help you...

Thanks deep south, the MIA idea got me excited but alas DL don't fly between MIA & EYW! To be honest it's no big deal, I can book a cash paid Tristar CDC, save the miles and still use the drive-through. What frustrates me (and there seem to so many posts of late on this) is the sheer confusion as to what we can and can't do when it comes to the VS/DL partnership. All I want is accountability / ownership for my booking but it's just not forthcoming.

Thanks
James
#932945 by Kraken
21 Feb 2017, 17:25
Sounds a bit like my "chat" with UC support before my trip last September. I had an inbound I fare on VS metal and wanted a CDC in the UK only (which I was entitled to). The VS website then said it was 75miles radius from the airport.

So I called to book my MAN-Home CDC & Google Maps comes in at 93 driven miles on their system, so she says not possible. I spent a good half hour arguing with her what the term "radius" means, i.e. as the crow flies.

Eventually she backed down and booked the car, with a note on the booking that no additional excess was to be collected from me. She also made it clear this was a one-off. The VS website was updated to say 75 driven miles in under 24hrs - must be one of the fastest VS website updates out.
Virgin Atlantic