This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#933038 by sythe20
25 Feb 2017, 06:25
Hi All,

I'm connecting in Atlanta to/from Orlando with VS/Delta, and have a few Qs...

On the way we have a 5 hour connection time lasting until late into the evening. Looking at the Delta Sky Clubs in the domestic terminal, none of them have showers. The international ones do, but i'm guessing i will have to go straight to the domestic terminal with no chance to use the showers in the international one?

Also on the way back, our connection time is 1 hour. The website advises 40 mins is sufficient, but i'm concerned it still feels a bit tight for a domestic-international at Atlanta?
#933040 by buns
25 Feb 2017, 06:42
Hi

After clearing Immigration and collecting your checked bags for customs, you go through a security check before putting your bags (if checked through to MCO) onto a conveyor.

Thus you remain "airside" so could chance the International Sky Club. That said, we have experienced it being very, very busy and ISTBC but I did not see the sort of serviced Revivals area, where towels and stuff are provided.

In the past we have just gone to the Domestic Terminal via the train and got to the Sky Club and relaxed before our flight - preferring to get the whole journey over and done with and showering when we finally got to our room.

For me 1 hour would be tight - whilst it takes no time at all to move between the terminals on the train, you have no time to Duty Free shop or visit the Sky Club - this of course presuming the flight from MCO is on time.

On our last trip, I opted to take an earlier flight, rather then the shorter connection

buns
#933043 by gumshoe
25 Feb 2017, 09:30
One hour is VERY tight, given that Virgin officially close the gate 30 minutes prior to departure.

Having said that ATL was designed with tight connections in mind and getting around is very quick and easy. So it's doable if everything runs to time.

But I'd have a Plan B just in case. If the whole trip is on the same booking you'll be rebooked on the next available flight home if you miss your connection, which may well be Delta rather than Virgin.

That's fine if your arrival back in the UK isn't time critical but if it is I'd rethink - could you not get the previous flight from MCO? That route runs more or less hourly.

And consider how risk averse you are. If you'll spend the whole holiday worrying about whether you'll make it, it's not worth the risk.
#933045 by SlimpyJones
25 Feb 2017, 09:39
The international Sky Club does have showers and provides towels and shower gels, shampoos, etc. After entering, then left, past the bar, all the way to the end where there is someone waiting to assign you to a particular shower :)
The shower rooms are very nice.
#933049 by sungod
25 Feb 2017, 12:42
imho the international concourse f is nicer to linger in than the domestic ones, upstairs there's an italian restaurant 'ecco' that is usually relaxed and the food is good, i could easily while away a couple of hours there

the sky club in concourse e also has showers, not tried them though

on your return, the 1 hour connect is ok as long as your inbound from MCO isn't delayed, but don't hang around getting to the gate in f, and as others have said, if you can get an earlier flight it'd give you some more safety margin

for duty free, you can use https://www.dutyfreeamericas.com/ you need to order within 7 days of the flight, your purchase will be waiting for you at a pick up desk just before you board the plane
#933053 by Miss G
25 Feb 2017, 14:00
We just had (flew a few weeks ago) a connection of less than 51 minutes and it was a bit of a quick walk followed by the train to get between gate A and F. We made it just as they were boarding Premium Economy so walked straight onto the plane. It is tight, but I think your connection will be fine.
#933073 by tontybear
25 Feb 2017, 19:21
Miss G wrote:We just had (flew a few weeks ago) a connection of less than 51 minutes and it was a bit of a quick walk followed by the train to get between gate A and F. We made it just as they were boarding Premium Economy so walked straight onto the plane. It is tight, but I think your connection will be fine.

I've also had a 55 minute connection at ATL though on the day it was more like an actual 45 minutes.

I didn't have to run but then again no time to dawdle (other than to have a quick pee) so no lounge or duty free (which has something like a 60 minute cut off anyway because of their collect at gate system).

I certainly wasn't the last passenger to board though it was within the 'boarding close' time on my BP. The other passengers hanging around were those on standby. I think If I'd been a few minutes later I would have missed it.

BTW at ATL although there are individual concourses and one designated 'international' once airside it is in effect one single terminal.
Last edited by tontybear on 26 Feb 2017, 12:47, edited 1 time in total.
#933084 by sythe20
26 Feb 2017, 06:07
Hi all, thank you so much for your insights.

We're now having a think about changing the flights, perhaps considering a downgrade and switching to the direct Gatwick route. It's booked with Virgin Holidays so I know therr are certain charges involved in amending a booking. I don't mind the tight connection however we do have a wedding to go on the day we return.

I think we may skip the showers and wait until we get to Animal Kingdon Lodge although i expect that will be close to midnight if not early hours of next morning...
#933099 by horburyflyer
26 Feb 2017, 12:13
I'm through ATL pretty frequently and was last through a couple of weeks back. The showers in the Skyclub at the F concourse (International terminal) are very nice and fully staffed. They have towels and include shower gel, shampoo, dental kits, shave kits etc. I have used them after a flight on the VS109 before heading across for my domestic connection.

They also have showers at the Skyclub at the E concourse but haven't used them.

I'd also head to the newly opened Skyclub in the B concourse too. The Skyclub is impressive with enhanced food and beverage offerings and a great place to hang out during a longish connection.

Thanks

Jon
#933117 by sythe20
27 Feb 2017, 06:23
horburyflyer wrote:I'm through ATL pretty frequently and was last through a couple of weeks back. The showers in the Skyclub at the F concourse (International terminal) are very nice and fully staffed. They have towels and include shower gel, shampoo, dental kits, shave kits etc. I have used them after a flight on the VS109 before heading across for my domestic connection.

They also have showers at the Skyclub at the E concourse but haven't used them.

I'd also head to the newly opened Skyclub in the B concourse too. The Skyclub is impressive with enhanced food and beverage offerings and a great place to hang out during a longish connection.

Thanks

Jon

Is it easy to get from the Domestic terminal (T, A, B, C, D) to the international one for the showers?
#933120 by tontybear
27 Feb 2017, 06:52
sythe20 wrote:
Is it easy to get from the Domestic terminal (T, A, B, C, D) to the international one for the showers?

As I've already posted once airside ATL is one single terminal with multiple concourses and no restriction of movement.

They are all connected down its spine by the internal train system.
Virgin Atlantic