This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#933435 by Derby Flyer
11 Mar 2017, 11:00
Hi All,

A colleague of mine is booked on VS73 (Man to MCO) in April, but booked this through Delta. It is the first time he has flown to USA, so was asking me what regulations he had to meet pre-flight.

I made sure he had an ESTA pre-approved and that he had updated his APIS information. However, we informed me that the Delta site didn't have any way of putting in his details or passport info. I got him to show me at work on Friday, and to my amazement, he seemed correct, it just asked for his name and date of birth.

Anyone else come across this, and when does the APIS get updated?
#933438 by mitchja
11 Mar 2017, 11:13
This changed when VS upgraded their systems at the end of last year.

The APIS info is collected at the online check-in / manual check-in stage now. If you are a Flying Club member there is a section in your profile where you can save your passport info which which pulled through automatically during online check-in.
#933450 by mallin
11 Mar 2017, 14:31
Tried to do my information on the Profile section, all I got was the little circle going around and it would not accept anything gave up after 30 minutes, will wait till OLCI and hope it works then. Linda >-(
#933454 by Kraken
11 Mar 2017, 15:28
Yet another IT "enhancement" from Virgin! You used to be able to submit your APIS details as soon as you had booked & been e-ticketed. Now you can only do it 24hrs before / at OLCI / at airport check-in.

The word "crazy" comes to mind as if you don't submit the details online, it's going to slow down airport check-in for a lot of passengers.

Does anyone know which set of details (ESTA or APIS) do US Immigration use when making their decision as to whether to admit you into the USA? I am assuming APIS, as this has to be current for every flight, whereas ESTA is valid for 2yrs.
#933456 by tontybear
11 Mar 2017, 15:52
Kraken wrote:
Does anyone know which set of details (ESTA or APIS) do US Immigration use when making their decision as to whether to admit you into the USA? I am assuming APIS, as this has to be current for every flight, whereas ESTA is valid for 2yrs.

Bit of both plus the answers you give on arrival plus anything else they have on you!

ESTA just means they'll let you on the plane with no guarentee of entry. Also it can be rescinded at any time if they belive you've been naughty so you'll need a visa.

APIS confirms your name, dob, passport etc and where you'll (supposedly) be staying.
#933457 by mitchja
11 Mar 2017, 16:29
This is not an IT change that VS have done for their own use, this is change the CBP have implemented globally and all airlines including VS now have to follow, from this page:

Air carriers may transmit predeparture APIS information either:

• Using the APIS Batch Transmission, in interactive or non-interactive form, that
requires air carriers to transmit the complete manifest for all passengers 30
minutes prior to departure.

• Using the APIS Quick Query mode that allows air carriers to transmit in real time
as each passenger checks in for the flight prior to boarding.

The second one is the system VS use.
Virgin Atlantic