This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#934186 by walesflyer
07 Apr 2017, 16:20
Hi all. We are flying out to Seattle in August. We are then taking the Coast Starlight down to San Francisco, then taking a road trip up the Northern California and Oregon Coast, finishing up with a few days in Portland. I'm currently looking at options for getting back to Seattle for flight home as we plan to drop off the hire car when we get to Portland as won't need it there for 3 nights. One of the easiest options is looking like flying. I note that Delta have flights, so I was wondering if I booked this - would it be possible to check in our luggage at Portland and get it checked right through to LHR. I am guessing not as the flights are being booked completely separately but thought I'd check. Also I suppose that the flight might land in a domestic terminal, and we may be flying out of an international termina?

second question - was wondering what the UC lounge used is like in Seattle and thought someone might know given the flights are now up an running?

thanks in advance.
#934188 by SlimpyJones
07 Apr 2017, 18:43
Hi there,

It is entirely possible that DL will check your bags through given the partnership. In fact I'd be surprised if they don't do it. The difference in terminals won't be an issue either as you'd be flying out of the country and thus there are no customs checks.

The key to doing something like this safely is allowing a much longer connection than would be considered standard. The reason for this is that should your PDX-SEA flight be delayed somehow causing you to miss your SEA-LHR flight, you will be marked as a no-show and left to rebook at your own expense as the flights were on separate bookings. I'm not sure off-hand whether you'd be arriving and departing in a different terminal either.

As for the lounge, VS use the Delta Skyclub - there's some blurb about it on the VS website here. There's also a dedicated thread about it over at the DL section of Flyertalk (note that the thread has been running for years, you may want to skip to the later pages!!).

Hope this helps :)