This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#934206 by buns
09 Apr 2017, 08:39
I think it is the 330 / 787 fleet that is under pressure.

There always seems to be a spare 747 sitting at LGW - it could well be that loads are not sufficient to warrant their use as the costs are so high

buns
#934208 by MoJoJo
09 Apr 2017, 08:45
Thanks Buns. She must be operating today as got moved over to the terminal while I was having coffee in the Sofitel lounge
#934225 by virginboy747
09 Apr 2017, 14:16
G-VBIG was kept on so there would be a spare aircraft for LGW in case of disruption to prevent cancellations etc on the LGW/MAN routes so there will often be a 747 parked up at LGW
#934230 by Kraken
09 Apr 2017, 17:02
No idea what VS fleet scheduling team are thinking... the VS75 MAN-MCO (& obviously the return too) was switched from a 747 to an A330 yesterday & next Saturday as well. Both Saturdays in the school Easter Holidays when demand would be sky-high (no pun intended).

Seems a bit odd to me - but if the planes need maintenance checks by a set date, this can ground them unless they happen. Even so, with Easter almost as late as it can be this year it does not take a genius to work out when most schools are going to be off & demand will be there. You don't go subbing a 747 for an A330 on these weekends without good reason.
#934231 by mitchja
09 Apr 2017, 17:32
It may down to crew, as not all crew are trained for all aircraft types (that includes both flight deck and cabin crew).
#934234 by tontybear
09 Apr 2017, 17:59
mitchja wrote:It may down to crew, as not all crew are trained for all aircraft types (that includes both flight deck and cabin crew).

And availability of crew. Friend of mine is CC for VS.

He was late back from HKG recently (several hours) which has then thrown the rest of his flying schedule out of the window because of the rest periods required beween flights. Not just him but every other CC on that flight is in the same position to varying degrees which means VS has to find other crew to replace them and so on.

It could also be there waiting for a charter. VS often provides planes to take senior members HMG on foreign visits and others (such as the NFL when they play here).

If it's on the ground for a few days then there is a good reason for it because a non flying plane isn't making any money
#934239 by horburyflyer
09 Apr 2017, 19:46
Kraken wrote:No idea what VS fleet scheduling team are thinking... the VS75 MAN-MCO (& obviously the return too) was switched from a 747 to an A330 yesterday & next Saturday as well. Both Saturdays in the school Easter Holidays when demand would be sky-high (no pun intended).

Seems a bit odd to me - but if the planes need maintenance checks by a set date, this can ground them unless they happen. Even so, with Easter almost as late as it can be this year it does not take a genius to work out when most schools are going to be off & demand will be there. You don't go subbing a 747 for an A330 on these weekends without good reason.

I clocked that **VGAL was sat on the ground at MAN all-day yesterday and overnight whilst the A330 operated the VS75 too James. Now of course the next three weeks (on selected dates) is when DL are operating the MAN-ATL route so assumed this was down to a lack of A330s (due to the refit) but it does seem some other reason might be at play here.

MAN will need 3 744s as the summer hots up on some days (if you know what I mean) but not just yet. I know Cathay Pacific have the line maintenance contract for VS at MAN but can't imagine they would be doing anything major as that is normally covered at LGW and it was/is a planned aircraft change.

I do know a large number of LHR/LGW cabin crew (who reside in the 'North') have moved to operate out of MAN for six months to cover the expansion with SFO, BOS and JFK, but still rather puzzling.

At least it keeps us on our toes!

Jon
Last edited by horburyflyer on 10 Apr 2017, 06:03, edited 1 time in total.
#934242 by Neil
10 Apr 2017, 02:35
We flew to MCO on Jersey Girl who had been parked up Since Friday am while the A330 operated the 75 on Sat. The flight today wasn't full and the 73 was operated by an A330 so while it is Easter holidays, the fact they have been split around the UK is meaning the demand isn't so concentrated.
#934250 by tontybear
10 Apr 2017, 12:12
Neil wrote:We flew to MCO on Jersey Girl who had been parked up Since Friday am while the A330 operated the 75 on Sat. The flight today wasn't full and the 73 was operated by an A330 so while it is Easter holidays, the fact they have been split around the UK is meaning the demand isn't so concentrated.

Yes it would deped on when many schools have their Easter Holidays and it does vary around the country so demand can be high in one part but low in another.

Options for School holidays would be something like

1. Off last week and this and back to school next Tuesday (easter weekend at end)

2. Off this week and next (so the easter weekend is in the middle)

3. Off next week and week after (so easter is at the start

Less so these days but there are 'wakes week' where an entire factory would shut down and everyone took their holiday at the same time.
#934326 by lynnewob
12 Apr 2017, 01:01
I was on Ladybird on the VS43 to LAS when the IFE gave up the ghost. iPads were given out, along with letters for compensation - although we didn't get one in upper which could have been because we all had iPads anyway.

Our FSM was a LHR crew member called in on standby. She had a busy flight, what with the IFE problems and a medical emergency which was handled very well.
#934357 by honey lamb
12 Apr 2017, 22:18
lynnewob wrote:Our FSM was a LHR crew member called in on standby.

It is my understanding that London-based crew are not specifically assigned to LHR or LGW. They may state a preference but they could be assigned anywhere depending on the type of aircraft to which they have been trained.
#934424 by Darren Wheeler
15 Apr 2017, 09:06
All cabin crew have to retain their qualification to work on aircraft types, know as recency.

This is done by either completing their annual re-qualification course or by flying on each type with less than 6 months since the last flight on that type.
Virgin Atlantic