This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#934622 by mikethe3rd
25 Apr 2017, 00:12
Well after a couple of years of trying, I'm finally booked onto the golf day. I'm going to the Woburn tuition day. I did try to play around 20 years ago but found driving the buggy much more fun!

Anyone else successful?

Mike
#934623 by gumshoe
25 Apr 2017, 04:43
I didn't apply this year but went on the Woburn tuition day last year and thoroughly enjoyed it. Leave plenty of room for lunch!
#934629 by SlimpyJones
25 Apr 2017, 08:49
I'd love to go on one of these, though I'm a little put off by the dress code stuff, I don't really own any of the clothes I'd need to wear. I have a feeling as a tattoo'd motorbiker I may not fit in :P
#934651 by Fuzzy14
25 Apr 2017, 17:25
SlimpyJones wrote:I'd love to go on one of these, though I'm a little put off by the dress code stuff, I don't really own any of the clothes I'd need to wear. I have a feeling as a tattoo'd motorbiker I may not fit in :P

Go to Sports Direct and you can get kitted out with all the clothing Lee Westwood wears for £20. Seriously don't worry about golf clothing, it's not as bad as you might think. Just don't turn up in jeans and a football top. While some still wear the tartan plus fours, most just wear trousers and a polo shirt. It's only the regular golfers who will spend the money on proper water and wind proof breathable clothing so they can play in all conditions.

Oh, and I own a pair of zebra print trousers. But they're only for special occasions.
#934700 by Phil.Durrant
27 Apr 2017, 10:57
I replied to the email first thing on Tuesday morning. Not had a response so assume this means i wasn't successful in getting a place? Is anyone else waiting to hear back?
#934912 by Phil.Durrant
04 May 2017, 11:10
By way of an update, i received an email from Virgin today confirming my place at the Woburn event (10 days after i emailed them requesting a place)

Am taking part in the beginners session. Not been to one of these before so no idea what to expect other than a lot of cursing and frustration on the driving range!
#934914 by gumshoe
04 May 2017, 12:19
I did the tuition day at Woburn last year. Great fun - excellent (and tolerant!) pros doing the instructing, first on the long game then on putting, leading up to pairing off for a mini tournament. Then finally a superb bbq lunch. Very enjoyable.
#934916 by SlimpyJones
04 May 2017, 13:17
Starting to wish I had signed up now! Alas, I don't have the holiday days to spare this year. Will see if I can source some suitable attire and remember to account for it next year :D
#935678 by mikethe3rd
01 Jun 2017, 16:30
We were just planning our dates with our dog sitter so started reading the itinerary with closer inspection.

Aside from being horrified to learn that this Woburn Clubhouse doesn’t offer champagne or Redheads for breakfast, how does the day normally pan out? Is it worth getting the train or should we drive up? My golf knowledge is limited to hole 19 but is it a case of leaving straight after the lunch or worth preparing a visit to Milton Keynes finest?

We’re also completely bewildered why we chose Woburn and not Watford considering we live in West London.
#935681 by gumshoe
01 Jun 2017, 21:12
Assuming it's the same as last year it ran pretty much according to the itinerary. No point getting there too early - 10.30 should be fine (assuming you're in the tuition group).

Definitely worth staying for the BBQ lunch which was great but in general people started drifting away quite early IIRC. There was no "after party" on my day - most of the group were VS corporate clients or business people rather than your typical V-Flyer leisure traveller - but maybe your group will be more up for continuing the fun!

Woburn's a bit out of the way so probably easiest to drive if you can - that wasn't an option for me so I caught the train to Bletchley then a 10 minute cab ride from there which was all very easy. Lovely place though.
Last edited by gumshoe on 02 Jun 2017, 07:44, edited 1 time in total.
Virgin Atlantic