This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#934726 by tdrees
28 Apr 2017, 00:02
Hi folks, just received my lifetime gold status :cool: , and made my first few trips.

Does anyone know if the passenger manifest shows a difference between gold and lifetime gold? One cabin crew mentioned that lifetime shows as Uniq (which surprised me and I doubt is correct) but I was not sure if the crew can tell the difference. I asked for this flight (I am writing this from 33E on vs116 waiting to complete boarding) and was told I just show as "gold".

Tobes
#934728 by buns
28 Apr 2017, 05:50
I wouldn't hold your breath.

Since the changes last November, I have only been recognised as Au on one occasion.

I have been told that since the demise of the old numbering system, it is no longer clear who is Au, without "delving into the system". As happened on my last flight, when the FSM makes that effort and includes the information in the crew briefing, then recognition does occur and has a real benefit to VS.

If that effort is not expended befre the flight, the simple answe ro your question is no

buns
#934729 by virginboy747
28 Apr 2017, 06:53
It shows up as UNIQ on the paperwork and the reason given as lifetime gold. The new paperwork is really hard to decipher. On old paperwork you got a list of all the gold and silver card holders with names and seat numbers. It was very easy to read. The new paperwork has loads of delta codes and apart from J it's very hard to work out where gold card holders are in W or Y which is why you might not be getting recognised as before. Hope that helps

Buns before the briefing the paperwork FSMs get only shows any UNIQ pax and doesn't yet give seat numbers. Just before door closure they get the reams and reams of final paperwork which lists everything under the sun you can think of much of it irrelevant and in delta spiel and coding which makes making any sense of it a true mission. Happy flying!
#934735 by buns
28 Apr 2017, 08:40
Thanks for the clarification 747

Your detailed response reflects what I have been told by various members of staff - i.e. Things are no longer straight forward, hence why consistency of service may suffer.

I have also been told that the issue of tablets to FSMs will make their job easier

buns
#934740 by tdrees
28 Apr 2017, 09:46
Thanks Buns and 747,

No recognition this time, but I had the eye mask on and earplugs in as soon as we pushed back. The Uniq status is interesting as I am pretty sure it did not show up in that context. I also had a problem when I tried to access the clubhouse on my outward leg, with status showing up as "guest of crew" or something similar. Fortunately, a quick inspection of the gold card rectified things, but not without a few minute wait whilst status was checked.

Maybe a call to customer service is in order...
#934748 by property1925
28 Apr 2017, 16:48
I'm Gold. Sat next to a chap on HKG-LHR in PE and he was welcomed, offered champagne, trip to bar, all very pleasant. He was Lifetime Gold. He mentioned my status to crew (we had started chatting) and they said they had no sensible way of knowing/checking if anyone was Gold or Silver
#934779 by ncgardner
29 Apr 2017, 21:09
I've taken 8 flights on VS metal since the changes, and been recognised only once as Au - that was 2 weeks ago to SEA.

I'd actually assumed recognition was something that had gone with the November 'improvements'. No recognition again today, flying back from ATL.
#934802 by JCBR
30 Apr 2017, 16:03
If this is correct then that makes Lifetime Gold members lifetime UNIQ customers which gives no incentive to re-qualify by flying VS. That does not sound a very sensible business model unless there is the longer term intention to move everyone over to the DL program.
#934808 by Kevshev
30 Apr 2017, 19:45
Even as a silver member prior to the new so called upgrade in November we used to get a welcome back and even priority on food choice on the Manchester to Orlando route. They used to have a piece of paper sellotaped to the the galley wall behind the bar which would tell the crew the names and which seat the Gold and Silver members were sat in. I know it was only a small thing but did make you feel the loyalty was appreciated and the upper class experience even more special.
#934900 by Lonemorf
03 May 2017, 21:39
Can only echo the above sentiments. Before changes, I was nearly always welcomed back, and and recognition given. Since the changes - nothing -not a single note.
Sad really - was another part of the programme that "made it feel worth staying loyal for".
#934908 by MikeWings
04 May 2017, 10:00
First time posting here (been lurking for years though)!

I'm currently AU and about to hit 2000 tier points, prior to November I often was welcomed and even offered champagne a couple of times when in economy. Since the changes there hasn't been a single recognition or welcome on-board.

It seems that Virgin have devalued miles, made it harder to hit AU for all but the most generous travel policies and embarked on a cost-cutting regime (sorry, I know this is all well trodden ground). But why cut back on the things that cost nothing and make you happier about your chosen airline?

Pleased to hear it's not just me though, I was starting to get a complex ;-)
#935125 by mikeecix
10 May 2017, 16:04
Achieved Gold for the first time this year and flew yesterday in Y on a miles redemption ticket.

Cabin crew welcomed me by name on the first drinks run and also thanked me for my loyalty. I was also first to receive my meal and on a number of occasions checked with me to see if I needed anything.

This is the first time I have flown down the back as Gold and was impressed by their attention and service. The flight was very lightly loaded so not sure if this had any bearing on whether they had more time to check the manifest and pick-out any Silver/Gold members.

Little things like this do make a difference to loyal flyers in my opinion and it would be a shame if this was a one-off.
#935130 by jilly
10 May 2017, 18:56
I was starting to get a complex too. I'm Lifetime Gold and have had no recognition for the last year on 5 flights.

My latest trip outbound last month, I also had trouble in the LGW Clubhouse. We were in PE and I had to get my Card out for proof as they didn't have me listed as Au but were very apologetic. I didn't have that problem in February, so very strange.

I think I'll be contacting Customer Services before my next trip to try and get some clarification.

Jilly
#935132 by buns
10 May 2017, 21:54
Lonemorf wrote:
jilly wrote:
I think I'll be contacting Customer Services before my next trip to try and get some clarification.

Jilly

Please let us know what you hear back from that - will be v.interesting.

The response I received was:

"Of course, this should happen every time you and your wife travel with us and I'm sincerely sorry if this hasn't been the case
Your feedback has been forwarded on to our Cabin Crew Management...... "

Let me know if your get the same boiler plate reply

buns
#935150 by jilly
11 May 2017, 11:27
buns wrote:
Lonemorf wrote:
jilly wrote:

Jilly

Please let us know what you hear back from that - will be v.interesting.

The response I received was:

"Of course, this should happen every time you and your wife travel with us and I'm sincerely sorry if this hasn't been the case
Your feedback has been forwarded on to our Cabin Crew Management...... "

Let me know if your get the same boiler plate reply

buns

No problem, will send them an email later today and post an update with their response.

Jilly
#935213 by CommanderB
15 May 2017, 10:20
I spoke to an FSM about this at the weekend whilst sipping a cocktail at the bar.

She said it should happen, and it seems that it is happening in Upper, but not W and Y.

She did also admit that the paperwork is more complicated to read now with the DL system. However despite how hard/easy it may be - some FSM's just don't do it - period, and that was true since even before the changes (which is quite believable).
#935303 by RedBull
17 May 2017, 19:58
I hit Gold last August - since then I've flown UC 8 times and PE 2 times (all TATL) and not had it once. Not been welcomed by name, thanked for loyalty, first choice of meals etc.

Ironically, when i first started travelling for business last February and flew my first ever UC flight, the only status I had was Red (obviously), yet I was given a bottle of Champaign and some chocolates as a gift on board when I didn't get my first choice starter as an apology and to "thank me for my loyalty". At the time i assumed they could either see that i had a number of upcoming UC flights, or it was just a case of mistaken identity ;-)

Either way, it was a great touch and really made a big impression. Really made me feel like i had made the right decision in choosing to spend my money with Virgin, so i can see why others value it.

When I made gold I think deep down i was actually looking forward to more of the same....
Virgin Atlantic