This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#934907 by SteveU
04 May 2017, 09:40
Hey Guys, thanks for all the comments, our trip is only 2 weeks away now so getting quite excited.

I guess the only dilemma now is whether to twilight or not. I quite like the idea of dropping the bags off in the evening while the airport is quiet and not having to take all our luggage in and out of the hotel. I do think however part of me just remembers the queues in the morning when in economy. Obviously you don't get that in upper.

If we do use twilight then the tip of old underwear sounds like a good one :)

Does anyone know the current menu or have a link to it?

Many Thanks
#934909 by Smid
04 May 2017, 10:23
SteveU wrote:I guess the only dilemma now is whether to twilight or not. I quite like the idea of dropping the bags off in the evening while the airport is quiet and not having to take all our luggage in and out of the hotel. I do think however part of me just remembers the queues in the morning when in economy. Obviously you don't get that in upper.

I guess it depends on where you are staying, and whether it is a struggle dragging suitcases. Not sure of the availability of trolleys around Gatwick to help you... Hilton used to be a relatively easy drag when in South, but that's changed now.

Dismiss the queues in the morning. You'll be checked in and on way in 5 minutes max. I'm not sure of the priority queue in Gatwick North, but at one point most of your checkin/security time was spent in the priority security in Gatwick South, due to all the pushchairs and wheelchairs being sent through that way as well. It improved massively though at one point in recent times...
#934918 by marshy11
04 May 2017, 13:29
We've done Twilight and morning check-in. Don't think the airport will be quiet when you drop bags off in the evening. If you do Twilight you will find there is a very big queue when it opens (or up to an hour before) and whenever we've been it's been mayhem with no separate UC or PE check-in. I've been there and there is an UC sign but the rep tells you to join the queue like everyone else. Morning check-in is much more civilised. If you are doing OLCI then really it's just a case of you getting rid of your bags. Twice we've had our luggage at Twilight miss the UC hold. I sometimes think the earlier you get it there the more likely it is to go in the wrong pile or get lost, or worse still end up in Y.
#934921 by SteveU
04 May 2017, 14:12
Thanks Marshy, I did have similar thoughts to your comments, especially the bit about where your luggage ends up over night and whether it all just goes into the same container.

I think I'm swaying to just checking in, in the morning. The only really benefit of twilight is not having to lug our luggage around which isn't really a big deal as we are staying at the Premier Inn opposite. Probably end up being quicker than waiting in line at twilight anyway.
#934923 by mdhayes
04 May 2017, 15:46
to put my twopence in; I wouldn't bother with twilight check in. Its more organised the next day and its nice just to walk up to the UC check in and then straight not to security. Also we get there super early to make the most of the CH so again queuing is very minimal.

I reiterate all the above points, spend as long in the club house being pampered as you can, enjoy a red head and relax.
#934924 by calvR
04 May 2017, 16:48
Just to throw my thoughts in as I did this last week, in economy but never the less.

I arrived at airport at 17.30 and straight to twilight check in. Very few people around and a dedicated upper check in which was empty.

To get to premier inn from the check in area or vice versa you need to go in a lift and walk across the roads and to the far side of the building. The room check in is upstairs so you would need to get a lift from the foyer. The queue for lifts was back to the door as everyone with a case needed to use them. We skipped the queue and used the stairs.
For us the twilight check in made the following day a breeze. Get up, no lugging cases into lifts and across roads, straight through security, and in your case straight into the clubhouse early.
I can't speak for the upper experience specifically but it for me the holiday started when my suitcase disappeared and it just made the hotel and airport experience a breeze.

Enjoy whatever option you go for, I hope to join you in upper one day :-)
Virgin Atlantic