This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#934930 by Katcool
04 May 2017, 19:18
We've recently completed a Man-Atl trip with both legs in UC. The outward was with VS and the return with Delta. We're all silver member and have been credited with an additional 30% for the outward journey. For the return journey we've received the standard the UC mileage. I rang the FC about 10 days ago and they said the extra miles would be credited within a couple of days but nothing happened. I again rang on Monday and was again told that the miles would be credited asap and the colleague stated she would ring to update me. So far I haven't heard anything nor have the miles been credited.

Am I right in assuming that the extra 30% applies to Delta flights? If so, I'm not sure where/how to proceed from here.
#934931 by SlimpyJones
04 May 2017, 19:21
Not so - with Silver on Delta flights you get an extra 50% on the base miles only, it's not quite the same as VS flights. That being said, can I assume that you originally booked both legs on VS and your return was changed to Delta? That might be the source of confusion (i.e. do you get credited as per your original VS booking or the DL booking that it became).

Might be worth a discussion with Flying Club along those lines.
#934935 by Katcool
04 May 2017, 19:30
Thank you, that's really informative.

Yes, we did have an original booking with both legs on VS. I'll give FC a ring.

From what I can see we haven't been credited with anything extra.
#934937 by SlimpyJones
04 May 2017, 19:39
Ah I see! Glad it was helpful. Can I ask - how many TPs did you earn? If they were crediting you with the DL mileage it would have been 125 (and should have been +50% on the base miles), for the VS miles it would have been 100TPs (with +30% of the total).
#934939 by SlimpyJones
04 May 2017, 19:55
Sounds like they were crediting you for the Delta flight you took, as per the Delta earning rate. You should have got an extra 50% on the base miles then :)
#934940 by Katcool
04 May 2017, 19:57
Would you stick with the extra TPs? We all have 525 each with UC flights to MAN - MCO and return from LAS booked in summer. They are ex DUB. Is it better to contact FC about getting the extra 30% miles? Sorry for all the questions - I'm okay with miles but haven't fully got my head around TPs as yet.

I'll put this in an email to FC as I've spoken to three different colleagues and have had three different responses!
#934941 by SlimpyJones
04 May 2017, 20:33
Well it depends how you value the tier points. 25 TPs equates to 1 tier point under the old system, if that helps. You need to maintain above 400 to renew Silver and 1000 to hit Gold. You've already renewed Silver by the looks of things, so it depends if you want to go for Gold. If it doesn't really matter to you then 25 tier points isn't too important :)

For what it's worth, and I hope I'm not confusing matters - but it's only a difference of 400 miles between the earning rates.

ATL-MAN operated by Delta is 4,090 miles (according to the VS website), plus 100% cabin bonus (you were in Delta One I assume?), plus 2,045 (50% of base miles) as your Silver bonus gives 10,225

If you wanted to press for the original routing credit, you'd get 4,090, plus 200% Upper Class bonus, plus 30% of that total which would give 10,634.

What was it you were credited with in the end? To be honest, if I were in your shoes I would just push for them to give you the Silver bonus for the Delta flight. You may wind up complicating things if you push for the 30%. If that makes sense!
#934942 by Katcool
04 May 2017, 20:44
Great advice, thank you.

Yes, we were in Delta 1 and all received 8180 miles. We've never quite managed to make gold and I can't see us getting there this year somehow. We've got UC flights booked to MCO at Christmas but unfortunately one on miles and two with upgrades.

I'll do as you suggested and hopefully get the additional Delta miles.
#934981 by Katcool
05 May 2017, 21:31
This is the reply I received from the FC,

Having checked your account I can see that you have been credited the correct amount of miles for this flight as the base miles between Manchester and Atlanta is 4094 miles. You do also receive a 50% class of service bonus which would take it to 6141 miles and then the 50% Silver bonus on top of that would take the total up to 8180 miles which you have been credited.

Do you think this is correct?
Virgin Atlantic