This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#935431 by mdhayes
23 May 2017, 12:23
What are peoples thoughts on sharing a table for lunch and using the buddy seat in UC on the 747? Last couple of flights we have eaten separately mainly due to the fact Im not sure there is enough room to share, what are peoples opinions? To share or not to share?
#935433 by pjh
23 May 2017, 12:42
mdhayes wrote:What are peoples thoughts on sharing a table for lunch and using the buddy seat in UC on the 747? Last couple of flights we have eaten separately mainly due to the fact Im not sure there is enough room to share, what are peoples opinions? To share or not to share?

Share - as long as it is a close friend as you do tend to play footsie without meaning to. We do this each time we fly UC, it's part of the ritual. Even managed it on a 330.
#935436 by dickydotcom
23 May 2017, 13:32
We don't do it. Both Mrs D and I feel it would be too cramped to put two meals on one table.
Mind you we have so far been lucky in that we have always managed the two seats up the front so it's a lot more sociable than being next to each other line astern.

Dick D
#935442 by stuart_f
23 May 2017, 14:11
I'd suggest you do it at least once just for the experience.

Mrs _f and I now share for drinks and nibbles but retreat to our own seats for the actual meal service just because there's that bit more space.

By the time you have wine glasses, water glasses, salt and pepper shakers, bread plates and cutlery on there the table starts to get a little busy even before you add the main dishes.
#935449 by Kraken
23 May 2017, 16:14
I've done it on the 747 and it can be done - just make sure you're good friends / married to / partner of the person you are sharing with!

In my case I had little choice as my friends table was faulty & ended up being wrenched out of the seat side-wall by the crew as their efforts to free it failed. He was either eating his food off his lap / using the ottoman as a table - hence why he shared my table for a more comfortable meal experience.

IMO, the main person who is affected is the person in the seat in front of you, as your guest on the ottoman will have direct eye contact with them.
#935470 by tomthumb
24 May 2017, 18:45
Eggtastico wrote:dont do it! enjoy your space & the extra 'me time'.

Brilliant :D :D
#935471 by mswadley
24 May 2017, 18:48
I've always done it - with the wife or the kids when we're lucky enough to get 4Gs.
Couldn't manage it on the A330 with the new DS but they're being refitted to the 787 config which seemed fine when we tried it.
#935472 by walesflyer
24 May 2017, 19:23
We did it on our first UC flight last year, and plan to do so again in August - its a bit of fun. We were in 1 and 2A on the dreamliner so didn't need to worry about other pax having to get past etc. I think the table is quite big and so plenty of room for two. Although my hubby hasn't forgiven me for filling his wine with salt..... i turned the cute little salt shaker upside down to look at the bottom and didn't realise it was pouring out everywhere - doh!
#935498 by mdhayes
25 May 2017, 10:31
ok current plan is dine alone for the main meal and then buddy up for a burger later on. I think thats compromise. TBH a few hours hubby free isn't always a bad thing lol :)
#935516 by oldboy
25 May 2017, 14:52
We have done it a few times for the novelty but don't bother these days. For the person sitting on the otterman (that would be me), it is not a very comfortable way to enjoy a meal.
Virgin Atlantic