This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#935460 by borolap
24 May 2017, 12:41
An absolute newbie here, both on this forum and travelling UC, very excited and would like some tips on how to best enjoy the experience (keep having nightmares that I sleep all the way), there are 5 of us in total 4 adults and an 8 year old, also wondered if anybody knows the likelihood of having a 747 as opposed to a 330 (new refit or not current seat plan config A330 1-1-1) but I have looked on the VA website and it appears that the Monday flight (which we are on) is often a 747 and the Thursday flight is a 330, anybody got any experience???

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
#935476 by Sealink
24 May 2017, 20:15
I have no problems with the A330 at all, but I have heard that the 747 is a more intimate cabin.

My main advice is to maximise your Clubhouse time ...
#935493 by Smid
25 May 2017, 08:47
Barbados is unusual in the bucket and spade routes in that it often gets a heathrow higher density plane due to its popularity. So if you get a 747, you should (as far as I'm aware there are no Heathrow VS 747s anymore) get a Gatwick 14 seat Upper 747.

If you get the 330, the older ones are 1-2-1 config, before the refurb, the new ones 1-1-1. The older ones felt cramped with narrow aisles, the newer ones are supposed to be better (my upcoming flights keeps switching, so not sure if I will see the new ones). But since they are typically Heathrow, there will be a lot more seats and I've often found the Heathrow Upper flights a lot worse servicewise, purely because there's a lot more to do, and there's often not that many more staff..

So hope for a 747, but if you have a 330, hope for the 1-1-1. If not, still enjoy it, it's not awful, just could be a better plane...
#935495 by mitchja
25 May 2017, 09:01
Welcome to V-Flyer :-D

The old config A333's are not too bad for day flights. Just try and avoid the middle seats if your A333 is a 1-2-1 config. The Window seats are better.

None of the seats on the old config cabin are particularly good in bed mode though as they are narrow and you cannot turn off those very annoying seat control button LED's either.
Virgin Atlantic