This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#935518 by Myf
25 May 2017, 14:56
Hi There

I've got two G's booked to go to LAX at the end of August, and two G's coming back from SFO at the end of September. Both were booked under the old mileage prices. I think we paid about £500 per ticket for all the usual taxes, APD and carrier surcharges.

Can someone advise me what we will get back and how long it will take?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Myf.
#935524 by Kraken
25 May 2017, 20:45
Depends on your level of FC membership. If you're Gold you get everything back (both the miles & taxes/fees/charges). If you're Silver or Red there is a £30 fee for canceling / changing the booking. Virgin can deduct this from the taxes/fees/charges refund you are due.

As to timescale - I'm Silver & cancelled a reward ticket earlier this year, the refund took about 2 weeks to hit my card. Once you get the email from "Virgin Atlantic Refunds Department" with the PDF attachment breakdown of the refund, allow 7 working days for the refund to hit your card.
#935559 by WSMGas
27 May 2017, 14:23
I have had to cancel Reward flights due to medical reasons.

The points were credited during the phone call and the refund, less £30 admin fee, was refunded within 7 working days.
#935560 by gilly
27 May 2017, 14:38
I had to cancel flights to MIA in January, because my mother was dying. The points were refunded by the time I put the phone down, the money was refunded - with no charge whatsoever - within a few days. I am a lowly red member these days.
#935580 by NYLON
27 May 2017, 19:04
Kraken wrote:Depends on your level of FC membership. If you're Gold you get everything back (both the miles & taxes/fees/charges). If you're Silver or Red there is a £30 fee for canceling / changing the booking. Virgin can deduct this from the taxes/fees/charges refund you are due.

Hey, Kraken, can you tell me where that Gold benefit is in the T&C? I just had to cancel a reward booking, and I too was certain that being FC Gold meant I received everything back, without the £30 fee. But I was told otherwise, and they I received everything back less £30. I know changes to reward bookings are still free for Au.
#935621 by NYLON
28 May 2017, 22:51
Just bumping this to say that I received a full refund (fare, taxes, fees, and £30 'administration' charge) when I checked my credit card statement.

This is after I was told that I would still have to pay the £30 fee, and the e-mail with breakdown showed the fee being levied (I am FC Gold).

Pleasantly surprised by VS IT for once!
#936338 by Myf
28 Jun 2017, 14:42
Thanks for the advice on this, I can confirm that getting the refund was very straightforward and came through within about 7 working days. They refunded the APD and taxes back to my MBNA card.

A bit sad we had to cancel our trip... but good news today, we managed to get two G's going to CUN and two G's coming back - so an all inclusive flop to a Mexican beach is now on the cards for September instead! :cool:
Virgin Atlantic