This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#935708 by Florida White
03 Jun 2017, 01:00
I thought I would just post a comparison if it helps and thank you to everybody who has advised me. For the first time yesterday Thu 1 June I took the plunge and flew MCO to MAN via Atlanta. I didn't know what to expect but thanks to fellow V Flyers knew what to do. Firstly rather than arriving at MCO post 3pm for a 6.45pm flight I found check in much quieter just after 1pm as was security which in total took around 35 min. The Delta flight was fine at 3.20 and we connected and left on the A330 at 7.10pm. Got to say upper was more packed but slept better as no air vents where your pillow goes but premium was less crowded and I think great value. 10 min via the Air Tran from Terminal A to F at Atlanta (thanks Buns for your advice) which is international flights and lots of good offerings if you want something to eat in the International Terminal and a great bar next to the gate. Once in the Air Con I felt much better than on the post 6pm not waiting around all day, actually slept on the plane for 4 hours which was a first. I felt more relaxed and the whole experience was less stressful. I think I will stick with direct outbound but return think it will be via Atlanta in the future.
#935709 by spacedog
03 Jun 2017, 10:38
We were on that same flight! Our Delta connection was at 2:20pm as I get worried with shorter connection times. We were meant to be in PE, but upgraded with miles to Upper at ATL. We also flew out direct in PE. The crew on both flights were excellent.
#935734 by lorelai
04 Jun 2017, 11:33
Hello!
We did this recently and although I was initially worried about connecting, like you I found the experience very stress free. I still prefer the 747 but agree that MCO to MAN via ATL is a very good alternative to direct.
#935749 by Kraken
05 Jun 2017, 12:28
As the OP states, you'll certainly miss the worst of the afternoon security queues by leaving MCO earlier. Anyone whose departed MCO late afternoon / early evening in high season onto trans-atlantic long haul flights will know what the queues for security can be like when anything up to 6 or 7 long haul flights are due to depart.

That said, it should be noted that Delta use the same satellite terminal as the long-haul international flights, so you're not going to avoid the queues completely as Delta's normal operation from this terminal will ensure a steady flow of passengers.

Personally I'd prefer the direct flight back to MAN - mainly because we have a set routine on out last day of a decent lunch at Islands of Adventure (Mythos), then back to where we stayed to shower & change before heading out to the airport for 3:30/4pm.
#935753 by YoungTraveller
05 Jun 2017, 13:42
Kraken wrote:That said, it should be noted that Delta use the same satellite terminal as the long-haul international flights, so you're not going to avoid the queues completely as Delta's normal operation from this terminal will ensure a steady flow of passengers.

You don't need to re-check luggage etc though when flying out of the States - it checks through automatically. Just need to make your way to the next gate so that isn't much of an issue... inbound could be a pain though but I've never had that many issues to be honest.
Virgin Atlantic