This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#935730 by getinjonathan
04 Jun 2017, 09:58
Hello from the VS3. This is my first 787 flight for about a month and have discovered Virgin have deactivated the LIVE TV service. The reason I've been given is that it's due to all the horrible things going on in the world. I'm pretty annoyed if this is the case as the reason is retarded.

If people don't want to watch LIVE NEWS, then there are hundreds of other things to watch. Providing Live TV onboard flights is fantastic innovation for Virgin and I find this move simply ridiculous. Why provide news headlines or wifi if they are so concerned with preventing news from coming on board. Sports fans are also losing out as there is no Live Tv whatsoever.

Anyone from Virgin care to give an explanation as to this move?
#935732 by mitchja
04 Jun 2017, 11:12
The couple of time I've used Live TV (it's only available on the 789's anyway), it wasn't very good and kept buffering to the point where I gave up with it.

There isn't a huge amount of available bandwidth and with something like this, lots of people are probably going to try to watch it which will likely make the system unusable.

At the end of the day though it's VS's decision what they do and don't offer onboard flights via their IFE systems.
#935733 by SlimpyJones
04 Jun 2017, 11:24
It does seem a little over the top to disconnect the service based on recent events, assuming that is the actual reason.
Best bet is to either email the feedback to VS or talk to the FSM about it if you're still on board. You won't get an official response from Virgin on here :)
#935784 by getinjonathan
06 Jun 2017, 14:49
Gpik wrote:I wathed CNN and BBC most of the way back from LAX last night.

Oh this is good to know! I've asked around and it seems nobody has a definitive. Waiting on FC to get back to me.

Thanks again, there is hope for us news junkies.
Virgin Atlantic