This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#935877 by Falcon22
09 Jun 2017, 18:50
Hi All,

I recently flew LAX-SFO-MAN return. I used miles to upgrade to UC, and Virgin was unable to upgrade to LAX-SFO portion so that was economy.

LAX-SFO was with Delta and got ticketed in X outbound and T return (not sure why different fare classes), so I was able to get my Skymiles who I credited to. However, the SFO-MAN was ticketed in G which is award class I believe and not eligible for Skymiles. Is this correct? I paid for three economy tickets and then upgraded, shouldn't we be eligible for miles based on an economy fare? I wondering whether it's worth the time to call Virgin on this or if there really are no miles given when you upgrade.

Thanks for your help on this.
#935878 by gumshoe
09 Jun 2017, 19:11
With VS Flying Club you would indeed earn miles for the paid-for economy ticket.

However you have to call up and claim them as the VS systems can't differentiate between a full reward booking and a miles upgrade, both of which are G class, and treat all Gs as not eligible for earning miles.

Whether the same is true with DL SkyMiles I don't know.