This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#936298 by Sealink
27 Jun 2017, 14:31
Posted this on the IT thread but actually am here asking for perhaps other routing suggestions.

Trying to spend a week in Tampa (well, Sarasota to be precise, but as a regional airport that seems to add £££s to the price) and a week in Chicago. In December.

Virgin website can't handle Chicago as my second destination.
Tried DL website too and it works.

BA is charging £1799 in J.
DL is charging £2210 so that's quite a difference.

Any other ideas?
#936302 by SlimpyJones
27 Jun 2017, 15:16
It looks like Delta don't do non-stop flights from TPA to ORD/MDW. I suspect that might be the issue.

You could take the above offer in VS UC/D1 (and score some killer TPs before the earning rate change!) and grab a cheap Delta fare between the two, which is coming in at about £100 in Main Cabin for a one-way.
#936310 by Hev60
27 Jun 2017, 17:47
Sarasota is a really nice little airport. So easy to negotiate. We shall be using it to travel home from Florida next year.

Last time we came back from SRQ , our VS flight was from JFK so we had to book Jet Blue on a separate ticket. Noticed Delta had flights into Atlanta from Sarasota so surely FC could sort your flights if you chose that option.

The new website IT is rubbish for anything but straight one to one destinations.
#936311 by chocksaway
27 Jun 2017, 18:13
Last year I booked MAN to SAV (via ATL) returning ECP (a small airport in FL) to Man (via ATL). I could book it on the Delta website but not on Virgin, it just didn't recognise ECP, so I gave FC a call & they booked it with no problems; plus it was about £200 cheaper than the Delta website. When I asked why I couldn't do it online she said somebody has just not put that airport into the system!!!! She said it happens quite a lot.
#936312 by SlimpyJones
27 Jun 2017, 18:51
Sealink wrote:Thanks everyone - that might be the answer!

I really don't want to fly AA domestically.

Glad to have been of help! If you get that booked pre-Sept 1st you net 400 TPs for the whole thing. 450 if you take DL across the Atlantic. 550 if you go in First from TPA to ORD. Barmy!
#936430 by SlimpyJones
02 Jul 2017, 12:49
Hey,

Happy to clarify - you earn TPs based on each sector, rather than each journey as it were. So if you took a journey with a connection, you'd earn for both flights taken.

Can't remember what Sealink booked in the end but take the example of LHR-ATL-TPA. You'd earn 100 TPs for the LHR-ATL leg (if on VS), and 75TPs for the ATL-TPA leg on DL first class. So 175. The same applies for the return journey, so 350.
To get from TPA to ORD, you'd need to connect in ATL if flying Delta. Again, done on a per-flight basis, you'd have TPA-ATL earning 25 in Main Cabin, and ATL-ORD earning another 25. So 400 total.

Of course the earning rates will be changing in a couple of months, but you can really rake them in with the current system.
#936475 by broono83
03 Jul 2017, 20:18
I've had an issue with that too I think. Say doing a multi stop with 3 sections, you cant type some destinations in the 2nd line - it wont accept them (even though its a real, allowed flight). My get around is to type the destination you want for section 2 as the start point of section 3. When it autofills, copy and paste to destination of section 2. Then it works. Ridiculous but hey ho
Virgin Atlantic