This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#936425 by Rebe
02 Jul 2017, 11:48
Hi All

Some advice please...
We have recently travelled on G ticket (M upgraded with miles), which was booked prior to the changes to Points/Miles in FC. We also have a Z flight due on Tuesday which was booked prior.
Under the old system, we would have reached Silver with these flights (3,3,5,5) and so should do again.

Now, the already flown ticket Points/miles were not credit to either of our accounts. Claim your missing miles form complete, for both legs and both people.
Husbands account shows 75 TPs first leg (LGW to MCO) and 50 (MCO to LGW).
My account shows 50 TPs first leg...... nothing showing yet for return, on request number two via the website plus a phone call....
My question is, how many TPs should we get to reflect the booking being made under the old system? 75 TPs does not show in the earning chart.
I have phoned Virgin and the advisor could not answer or deal with putting miles/TPs right and said she had to email it to another team....

Wondered if any other VFlyer had experienced this and could answer?
#936427 by mitchja
02 Jul 2017, 12:12
I thought that once the new system kicked in, any 'already booked flights' automatically earned the new tier point levels if the flight was taken after the system change over date which was November 13th 2016?

With the new system an M fare should now earn 50 TP's each way.

Not sure where the 75 has come from and I suspect that's an error.

I think it was only reward bookings that where being honoured at the 'old' spending rates between November 2016 and January 2017 wasn't it?
#936428 by SlimpyJones
02 Jul 2017, 12:45
Flights booked under the old system earnt at the old rates. Or more accurately, you got the best of both worlds.

For an M class booked under the old system you would earn the equivalant rate of 75. Z's would earn 125 if booked before the changeover. So you should get 75,75,125,125 so it sounds like something has gone awry.

At least, that's my understanding of it anyway.
#936429 by Kraken
02 Jul 2017, 12:48
mitchja wrote:I think it was only reward bookings that where being honoured at the 'old' spending rates between November 2016 and January 2017 wasn't it?

I think you're right - new earning rates kicked in immediately after the DL IT system move in November. I know my MCO trip in November earned at the old rate outbound & the new rate on the return flight.

Once the earning / spending rate changes, there was a flurry of activity from people (many on here no doubt!) to try and nab the elusive G fares before they became unavailable / more expensive.

Now we're on the new DL IT system, the availability of reward fares has become as scarce as rocking horse muck on some routes, even in very low season. If you are looking for reward fares, don't rely on the website alone - use the mobile app as well or phone Flying Club. I've found MAN-SFO one-ways in Upper class that did not show on the website, but did on the mobile app... a quick call to Flying Club & they could see the fares and booked them.
#936431 by Rebe
02 Jul 2017, 13:00
I have looked at what info I can find but did not come across an end date for earning at the old rate on booked before Nov flights. I will wait until after our next flight and see what that brings before I email/call anymore.

Thanks for the response all.
#936432 by mitchja
02 Jul 2017, 13:05
Sorry, it does look like you should be earning at the old rate not the new rate as I've just found this post in the Flying Club changes thread:

stuart_f wrote:Stevieboy solved this one earlier in the thread. Read FAQ #16.

16. I already have a flight booked for after 13 November 2016. Will I receive miles at the old or new earning levels?

If you are flying after the 13 November 2016 and booked your ticket before this date, you will earn the maximum miles and tier points of either the old or new scheme based on the cabin and booking class of your ticket. This ensures that if you have an existing booking, you are not worse off because of these changes. If you are flying after the 13 November and book your ticket after 13 November, you'll earn based miles and tier points based off the new earning rates.

M fares used to earn 3 TP's, therefore, 3 x 25 = 75 tier points in new money.

Annoyingly VS have taken down the microsite that many of those posts in that thread either linked to or referred to!!
#936473 by Rebe
03 Jul 2017, 17:15
Getting nowhere fast.....

The Virgin customer services rep who is dealing with my request for TPS, after 4 email attempts, is adamant that I purchased an upgradeable X class ticket in August 2016 and so I am not entitled to any further points.

I have tried to explain that an M class was the lowest available fare at the time and that's what I purchased but he just keeps reiterating his previous email and telling me that he hopes I have a nice day (grrrr....)

I have sent one further email and will then withdraw until I return from our next flight and try again. I am getting frustrated now and it's just not worth it.
Virgin Atlantic