This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#936509 by Pianofunk
04 Jul 2017, 21:35
We're booked into PE on our return from Vegas in early September (VS44 8th)

The whole of the upstairs and all the two's are blocked out and we appear to have been left with a dreadful selection, as of today

We haven't travelled PE for some years (new bungalow move for my impending infirmity has changed this) - is it unusual for there to be so few decent seats at this juncture or I am I just being a bit hasty and more will appear as time goes by?

Regards all,
Rich
#936512 by Nikolic
04 Jul 2017, 23:10
Could it be that they are already selected rather than blocked?

All PE receive free seat selection. All of upstairs and a lot of the pairs downstairs were already selected when I booked my return from Cancun in Jan for Aug.
#936513 by Pianofunk
04 Jul 2017, 23:24
Maybe, Nik ... looks like I may have to cough up for a chance of extra leg room seats
#936514 by mitchja
05 Jul 2017, 08:38
There is no charge for any Premium Economy seats/rows. The bulk-head rows are always free, however, you can only request those at the airport of the day of your flight but just remember that those rows are allocated to families requiring sky-cots first.
#936516 by cheesebag
05 Jul 2017, 08:46
Is it during school holls? if so they could already be gone otherwise load check the flight. It may be that the upper deck just isn't available as the flight isn't anywhere near capacity.
#936517 by Smid
05 Jul 2017, 09:08
I thought the original issue post the Upper deck split, after the idea that you're coming off the plane with economy, was that Virgin Holidays seemed to block book it out for their customers.

I (regrettably) booked PE the other year to Vegas, and there certainly was NO Upper Deck seats. There were barely any lower deck seats too, it didn't seem the empty cabin it should have been 11 months in advance...

I thought, however, that the bulkhead would be requestable. They weren't and also it seemed that staff/friends of the pilot were assigned them (one leg they got champers and their meal brought to them, and the pilot came and visited them). I'd not rely on bulkhead...

Ah gone are the days of the wonderful PE exclusive Upper Deck, with a good chance of plenty of legroom for free...
#936522 by silverwings
05 Jul 2017, 13:04
A quick check on expert flyer shows that all the Upper deck seats are indeed selected.

However the following seats are blocked
20HK and all of row 14.
#936530 by Hev60
05 Jul 2017, 20:29
Also don't forget that virgin holidays get a huge chunk of upper deck PE seats for their customers but these are released at the 24hour point if they have not been allocated to VH passengers.

I had a conversation with a VH rep only last week who confirmed I could request upper deck PE sears for our planned flight to MCO next June (which is not even available direct with VA yet :-( )
#936534 by lockedm
06 Jul 2017, 11:49
Something funny has been going on with PE being blocked out. Need to get to Orlando for work the week of August 28th. Absolutely no PE showing on any of the 3 LGW-MCO flights for the last week or so. Spent ages looking for alternate routes to get to MCO in PE. Decided on going via ATL but there was a problem with the booking - thankfully. This morning there is plenty of availability on all 3 LGW-MCO flights on the 28th, with prices being reasonable (at least for a work expense). So cancelled ATL booking and now going direct, with a seat upstairs.
#936553 by Pianofunk
07 Jul 2017, 17:35
Thanks all for the input

One thing I was not aware of is that the PE H bucket I'm booked in is now a fare that is upgradable with miles - fingers crossed on the day, if not before .. at the moment, there is a lot of UC availability on the flight
#936573 by uktigger
09 Jul 2017, 17:04
The H class fare IS upgradeable with miles, but ONLY if VS have the cash for the ticket.

I fell foul of this last year, as a couple of reward seats became available at about 6 months out and I had enough miles to do it.

BUT and it is a BIG BUT... I obviously had booked through VH, who don't actually release the cash for the ticket to VS until the last minute. SO as far as VS were concerned, and I suppose I can see their point, NO CASH=NO TICKET=NO UPGRADE!
Needless to say I was gutted.
Virgin Atlantic