This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#936592 by travelmad51
11 Jul 2017, 18:40
Hi,
We are travelling Upper to Miami on G's first time for a while. We have used the Wing in the past, is the airport check in anything special or would you use the wing? Also does anyone have any recommendation for hotels at Heathrow for the night before our flight?

Any advice would be appreciated,

Thanks,

Cath
#936599 by pjh
11 Jul 2017, 21:03
By "The Wing" do you mean DTCI? If so then it's a far more exclusive experience than schlepping through the terminal. I don't know how long ago it is since you used it, but since you can now rock up in any vehicle that can make it up the ramp I wonder why anyone ever checks in downstairs... :) Even MrsPJH, who has a strong puritanical streak when it comes to things like booking Speedy Boarding, thinks it a major treat.

No advice on the hotels, sorry, but if you do stay overnight you can still book a taxi for the next morning to take you through DTCI.
Last edited by pjh on 11 Jul 2017, 21:10, edited 1 time in total.
#936600 by ColOrd
11 Jul 2017, 21:07
Having flown Upper 3 times now I would also echo that going through Drive through check in is the ONLY way to go.

Basically if you go through the terminal you go into a lift and end up in the private security channel but there is something so special about driving up that driveway and seeing that big floating ball and having someone take your bags and already have everything ready for you!
#936601 by pjh
11 Jul 2017, 21:11
ColOrd wrote:Having flown Upper 3 times now I would also echo that going through Drive through check in is the ONLY way to go.

Basically if you go through the terminal you go into a lift and end up in the private security channel but there is something so special about driving up that driveway and seeing that big floating ball and having someone take your bags and already have everything ready for you!

What he said...
#936604 by tontybear
11 Jul 2017, 22:21
And yes whilst the UC Wing (which is it's official title) is very nice personally I wouldn't go out of my way just to use it.

If you're arriving at LHT via train / tube coach / tube I wouldn't go out of my way to find a taxi etc.

As to hotels I have no recommedations but from other threads they are all in the 'nothing special' category and it really comes down to budget.

Depending where you are coming from the night before (and how you get there) you might want to look slightly wider afield.
#936605 by pjh
11 Jul 2017, 22:33
tontybear wrote:And yes whilst the UC Wing (which is it's official title) is very nice personally I wouldn't go out of my way just to use it.

I have the pitchfork. Who is bringing the torches? :)
#936606 by whiterose
11 Jul 2017, 23:11
pjh wrote:
tontybear wrote:And yes whilst the UC Wing (which is it's official title) is very nice personally I wouldn't go out of my way just to use it.

I have the pitchfork. Who is bringing the torches? :)

Me, torches being prepared.

I'm with you entirely, wouldn't dream of using anything other than DTCI. We stayed last December at the Radisson and it was fine, Steak and Lobster Bar was brilliant, bed was super-comfy, bathroom a bit snug but we coped without a problem. YMMV, do I recall others finding the Renaissance good?

Why would you not want to be greeted by name at the top of the ramp, by someone with your boarding passes at the ready?
#936610 by Hev60
12 Jul 2017, 14:20
Personally I feel the best hotel is the newly renovated Renaissance, just off Bath Road.

We stayed there in March. Had a relaxing meal, good nights sleep and then arranged for their car-service to take us to the airport, via Upper Class wing.

Recently a family member of mine got caught up in a horrendous traffic jam on Bath Road after staying in the Premier Inn and was over 30minutes late arriving at DTCI. Staying at the Renaissance is brilliant coz the driver exits the back of the hotel and travels along the north perimeter road so avoids the traffic. Took about 5minutes :-)
#936624 by gilly
13 Jul 2017, 12:29
Hev60 wrote:Personally I feel the best hotel is the newly renovated Renaissance, just off Bath Road.

We stayed there in March. Had a relaxing meal, good nights sleep and then arranged for their car-service to take us to the airport, via Upper Class wing.

Recently a family member of mine got caught up in a horrendous traffic jam on Bath Road after staying in the Premier Inn and was over 30minutes late arriving at DTCI. Staying at the Renaissance is brilliant coz the driver exits the back of the hotel and travels along the north perimeter road so avoids the traffic. Took about 5minutes :-)

We have booked the Renaissance for next Spring - normally choose the Skyline. How. Do you go about booking their car? I can't see any thing about it on their site. We will have plenty of luggage!
#936638 by Hev60
13 Jul 2017, 21:49
gilly wrote:We have booked the Renaissance for next Spring - normally choose the Skyline. How. Do you go about booking their car? I can't see any thing about it on their site. We will have plenty of luggage!

Hi Gill, just as you go into the main entrance of the hotel directly in front is like a Concierge desk and we just arranged with him for their car service to take us to the Upper Class wing. Very smart Merc people carrier and the driver looked the part too!!! There's plenty of space for loads of luggage. Cost £10 but well worth it. If you have a problem, just ask the reception desk as they are most helpful.

If you're interested we had a nice light meal in their Bar 11 (like a sports bar) but if you want something more posh, head for their Market Garden Restaurant. Hev
Virgin Atlantic