This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#936631 by Nickd19
13 Jul 2017, 17:00
Ok, so I've just spent 21k miles for a discount on an Y ticket. Miles plus Money.

I know a lot of you will think this is a crazy waste of miles, and until 10 months ago I would have agreed...... but..... our lives have changed, we now have a 10 month old, and with it, our priorities have changed. We now just want to get away, somewhere 'special' for as low a cost as possible. In this case Orlando. Perhaps we're actually crazy for taking a baby on a 9 hour flight.

So any way, I just thought I'd share a different approach. I'm thrilled, it means we can go on holiday vs not at all. :cool:
#936635 by SlimpyJones
13 Jul 2017, 18:29
Hey,

Value is in the eye of the beholder. 21k miles is £126 which for some is a hell of a lot of money. If that has enabled you folks to have the holiday you wanted then good for you - it certainly doesn't make you crazy at all!

I have a feeling that your kiddo won't be the only infant on board a flight to Orlando either.

Have a great time :D
#936639 by honey lamb
13 Jul 2017, 22:53
If it suits you, then you're not crazy. It's horses for courses and if it means that as a family you get to go on holiday, then it's worth every mile you have paid for it. Just start saving miles again for next year's jolly!
#936641 by shaneg17
14 Jul 2017, 06:17
Absolutely not crazy! £126 is £126...what else would you have done / got with the miles?

Myself and my wife took our 1 year old to Orlando in 2014 and it was fine, books and cartoons and you'll be grand. We done the same again with our 2nd child just this past May. VS15 was good timing so she was due a sleep by take off time...that was 3 hours done and the rest is just a normal day entertaining but at 35,000

Good luck and enjoy it!
#936647 by alibeau
14 Jul 2017, 10:04
We have done similar this year.

In recent years we have flown both PE and UC but this year the funds are just not available. So I have booked four economy M&M fares for MAN to MCO this December.

I am fully aware that the amount of miles I had to use could have been used more wisely but in this moment they have made a trip to Orlando possible and so have been put to good use in my mind. Like you if we had not used the miles we would not have been going at all as I had to stick to a very tight budget!

Good luck with the flight.

Ali.
#936650 by Snora
14 Jul 2017, 11:12
if you are crazy so are lots of us !

this year we bought, yes bought ! 80k miles for £1200 as we were short for our flights home from HKG. we had booked UC going out ( so just paid fees/taxes etc) but as everyone knows the same fees are peanuts doing HKG to LHR . I couldn't bear the thought of using our remaining miles and flying Economy home so we did the sums and realised for £1200 we could both fly UC home plus £68 fees for both - so two flights UC from HKG in UC. = £1268.

crazy ! maybe but we are happy and looking forward to our flights home instead of dreading them.
Virgin Atlantic