This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#936850 by Turquoise
25 Jul 2017, 19:26
I am probably being very stupid but I find it so difficult with the new website to find out where reward flights are available and also which are the 'high season' and 'low season' dates. Is there a simple way to find out? BTW I am looking for flight to SFO next April. Also, could anyone tell me which might be more distracting for someone (my Husband) who spends his whole time on laptop or phone - SFO or South Africa?
#936851 by SlimpyJones
25 Jul 2017, 19:50
The peak/off-peak season dates live here:

http://www.virginatlantic.com/gb/en/fly ... ights.html

Peak season dates are:

22 June – 6 September 2017 (Summer)
13 December 2017 – 6 January 2018 (Christmas)
29 March - 16 April 2018 (Easter)
22 June - 6 September 2018 (Summer)
13 December - 31 December 2018 (Christmas)

As for searching for flights - you search in the same way as a revenue flight but you need to tick the "Pay with miles" button under the date selector. If you're looking specifically for Premium or Upper then it's worth selecting that under the advanced options.

I'm afraid I have no idea re: South Africa or SFO though!! :)

Hope this helped.
#936853 by Hev60
25 Jul 2017, 20:31
Turquoise wrote: .... Also, could anyone tell me which might be more distracting for someone (my Husband) who spends his whole time on laptop or phone - SFO or South Africa?

Perhaps somewhere where the internet signal is non-exsistent :-D

San Francisco has many interesting sights to see but no chance of bad connections there! The weather is San Francisco is very unpredictable in April (although I have been three times in the last six years and can honestly say based on expereience, I can predict cool, cloud & misty rain :-( but then perhaps I've just been unlucky.

Never been to South Africa and would love to go, in a group. Out of the city/towns I bet his phone & laptop signal would die!!!

Enjoy your planning and seriously best of luck getting those elusive rewards to the west coast.
#936857 by honey lamb
25 Jul 2017, 21:59
Turquoise wrote: Also, could anyone tell me which might be more distracting for someone (my Husband) who spends his whole time on laptop or phone - SFO or South Africa?

if you want to prise your husband away from his laptop or phone then South Africa is probably the way to go. The signal can be patchy even in the cities and from time to time you could be a victim of load-shedding which is a posh term for power cuts which can happen in the cities and towns from time to time. When I'm in South Africa, I'm very aware also of data limits which can restrict usage. To really prise him away go to one of the safari parks for a few days where there is no signal when on the safari drives and where the signal can be patchy in the lodges! :twisted: :twisted:
#936859 by pjh
25 Jul 2017, 22:16
honey lamb wrote:
Turquoise wrote: Also, could anyone tell me which might be more distracting for someone (my Husband) who spends his whole time on laptop or phone - SFO or South Africa?

if you want to prise your husband away from his laptop or phone then South Africa is probably the way to go. The signal can be patchy even in the cities and from time to time you could be a victim of load-shedding which is a posh term for power cuts which can happen in the cities and towns from time to time. When I'm in South Africa, I'm very aware also of data limits which can restrict usage. To really prise him away go to one of the safari parks for a few days where there is no signal when on the safari drives and where the signal can be patchy in the lodges! :twisted: :twisted:

Agreed. South Africa and a safari lodge. Up close with a sleeping lioness or a herd of elephants should make him think of the bigger picture. Also if he has ever watched Zulu, a trip to the battlefields.

In both the wireless was strong in the lodges....but the diversions made us use our devices only for taking pictures....or sending WhatsApp messages about depleting the mini bar.
#936861 by Snora
25 Jul 2017, 23:18
South Africa. no contest. been to both a few times. you can do San Fran in a few days and be 'online' most of them- so the distraction continues ..... It will take many many trips to S Africa to see the ocean/s, birdlife, plant life, animal life, wine, food, people, culture - and all very reasonably priced and you won't hear the name 'Trump' in SA. Wifi is pretty good in most B&Bs ( would always stay in SA in B&Bs way better than anywhere else in the world) but anywhere else it is patchy as explained by others. But in SAfrica the world wide web is nothing compared to what is outside that window !!
#936874 by Turquoise
26 Jul 2017, 12:48
Thank you all so much for the suggestions and info! I shall get down to researching South Africa and hope to find some reward seats too! Many thanks again!
#936875 by Martin5192
26 Jul 2017, 15:13
Love California in particular San Fran, went to South Africa last year and fell in love with it, Going back in September. Have a look at the Garden Route its a lovely trip..
#936876 by stuart_f
26 Jul 2017, 15:22
Another vote for S Africa.

If a game reserve is on your to do list, I can't recommend this lodge enough http://www.mhondoro.com/ it's in the Welgevonden Game Reserve which is less well known so you won't be driving around behind a queue of trucks and you'll get a chance to see all the big 5. Another huge plus is that Welgevonden isn't a malarial area so no need for those pills.

Enjoy it, no matter what you do.
#936879 by pjh
26 Jul 2017, 18:53
stuart_f wrote:Another vote for S Africa.

If a game reserve is on your to do list, I can't recommend this lodge enough http://www.mhondoro.com/ it's in the Welgevonden Game Reserve which is less well known so you won't be driving around behind a queue of trucks and you'll get a chance to see all the big 5. Another huge plus is that Welgevonden isn't a malarial area so no need for those pills.

Enjoy it, no matter what you do.

That looks lovely. Thiswas ours last year. Wonderful place, wonderful experience and wonderful service. Having quipped at sundowner time that rather than g&t's shouldn't we be having Pimms the next night we pulled up at the famous lost Pimms Tree of Phinda. Somebody had been out and set all of this up.

29001127615_c7f6901d2b_z.jpg
29001127615_c7f6901d2b_z.jpg (144.15 KiB) Viewed 4292 times

SA was possibly the best holiday we have ever had.
Virgin Atlantic