This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#937108 by Test12345
01 Aug 2017, 00:42
On my Virgin Atlantic airline receipt, the status of the first segment is "arpt" and for the second (i.e., connecting) segment flight, it is "Open".

Presumably, "arpt" could stand for the airport, but what does it signify/mean? And, does it mean that on-line check in not allowed, and if so, why not?

I look forward to your response. Thanks in advance.
#937113 by Vegascrazy
01 Aug 2017, 07:46
I think it means "under airport control" and applies when the sector in question is not operated by the ticket issuing airline. For example my recent trip to USA was a combination of Aer Lingus and Virgin Atlantic, with a 932 prefixed ticket (Virgin issued) covering all four sectors. My two VS sectors showed "open" and two EI sectors showed "arpt" when I looked prior to travel.
#937142 by tontybear
01 Aug 2017, 15:59
Test12345 wrote: And, does it mean that on-line check in not allowed, and if so, why not?

There could be several reasons why OLCI is not allowed

1. There is a baby on the booking

2. The flight hasn't been properly ticketed

3. The passenger needs to have their documents checked for e.g. visa / ESTA prior to boarding.
#937156 by Test12345
02 Aug 2017, 01:28
Here is why I am concerned about "arpt" on my first segment flight from DEL-LHR. My wife (because of her nationality) would require a UK Transit Visa if our luggage is NOT through checked to New York but doesn't need the visa if the luggage is checked to New York.

When I called British Airways yesterday, they said there was a note on my travel record/reservation for "check in and out" or something to that effect for LHR. This leads me to believe that they will only issue me a boarding pass to London and therefore only tag my bags to London (DEL-LHR is the first segment.)

I don't want my wife to be stuck in London, or worse, the airline could state that she doesn't have a UK visa and not issue even the ticket to London. The BA customer service rep located in India gave me a hard time and insisted that they don't through check because Virgin (which runs the second flight segment) is not their airline partner, and it was was the airport staff to decide. Therefore, they couldn't tell me in advance if it will be through checked or not!

So, I hope you can see my dilemma of not knowing what will happen. I called Virgin and while they told me a single ticket means a direct check in they refused to put it in writing which I could show to the BA airport staff.

So, what should I do?

Thanks in advance.
#937157 by tontybear
02 Aug 2017, 01:55
BA do through check to Virgin when the flight is on the same ticket (and vice versa). Interlining bags is totally different from airline partnerships and alliances.

The issue you will likely have is if you or your wife need a visa to transit LHR.

Having bags checked through does not eliminate the need for a visa should it be necessary - even if it a Direct Airside Tranit Visa.

If you do not have the right documentation to satisfy BA you won't getting on the flight to LHR let alone to JFK

You've been given a link in other posts to the UK Gov website. Please read that. and double and triple check the visa situation which I reiterate has no connection to bags being transferred or not.
Virgin Atlantic